Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Do I need to upgrade RAM?, 85% of 4 GB but 1 of 4 slots used

views

TSilham_imani
post Apr 12 2018, 09:48 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(leonaa @ Apr 10 2018, 04:00 AM)
Yes, you definitely need more RAM. I used to have 8GBs of RAM on my desktop (I use it for everything). It was fine until a while back when Chrome started eating up my RAM like an omnomnom program.

Would def. recommend getting another stick of RAM, they shouldn't cost you as much as a desktop RAM, but would still cost you around $50(4GB) or so. Not that bad for the performance, really.
Thank you. Will upgrade my RAM smile.gif
squall0833
post Apr 13 2018, 04:26 PM

Regular
1,444 posts

u need to

4gb is no longer enough nowadays even just normal web browsing

and if u willing to spend some more for SSD upgrade

that definitely worth it, once u go SSD, never turn back to use HDD as os drive
derthvadar
post Apr 17 2018, 09:13 PM

(ง •̀_•́)ง
1,690 posts

QUOTE(ilham_imani @ Apr 12 2018, 09:47 AM)
Thank you for the info. So, which one is better (4GB + new 4GB) or (4GB + new 8GB). I check the price for 4GB is RM179, and RM369 for 8GB DDR4.

If I upgrade HDD to SSD, then I have to pay another RM500 (I check on LAzada).

Is it worth?
Bro, I just upgraded my laptop and put extra 4GB DDR3L RAM and 120GB SSD for ± RM330. Beli all part thru Lazada and Shoppe apps.

If hantar kedai mybe more than RM400 ~ RM500.

Do it myself to save some budget and learn new things. There's always a first time for everything.

Which brand of SSD cost you that extra RM500?

This post has been edited by derthvadar: Apr 17 2018, 09:30 PM
edan1979
post Apr 17 2018, 11:49 PM

*GruMpy_MoDe*
5,112 posts

ssd for rm500... depends on its size also. and its brand. if he take a look at intel or samsung pro one... sure the price is more la... if sandisk or kingston around that price might be for 350gb or more... i just take a wild guess.
kurangak
post Apr 19 2018, 01:54 PM

certified /k addict
1,154 posts

idk why ppl keep suggesting him to buy ssd. his problem currently is RAM related. not even the fastest NVME ssd can fix that.
PJng
post Apr 19 2018, 05:38 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,534 posts

QUOTE(kurangak @ Apr 19 2018, 01:54 PM)
idk why ppl keep suggesting him to buy ssd. his problem currently is RAM related. not even the fastest NVME ssd can fix that.
I also wonder why, my current pc when windows 7 is 4GB
After update windows 10 few slow down,
Then i just added RAM to 8GB, still using HDD,
Now i open multiple browser, play game on bluestack no more slow down
leonaa
post Apr 20 2018, 04:27 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(ilham_imani @ Apr 12 2018, 09:48 AM)
Thank you. Will upgrade my RAM  smile.gif
Quite welcome. If you're choosing between an additional 4GBs vs 8GBs. I wouldn't recommend mixing an 8GB with a 4GB, there are certain compatibilities in play that may cause you to have problems if you choose to go this route. The best I can suggest is this:

1. If the laptop is going to get replaced at some point in the near future (6 months - 1 year or so), then I'd recommend just getting the 4GB RAM to match your current RAM.

2. If the laptop is going to stay with your for longer than the first scenario, then you might consider getting an 8 GB RAM and at some point when that gets too slow, you can add another 8GB of RAM in there for a grand total of 16 GBs. I still don't recommend this though as you don't seem like a heavy user and most people can get by just fine with 8GBs unless they're gaming or doing CADS, models, etc.

Finally, you can check to see what's holding your machine back. Check in that tab to see what's eating up all the RAM.

QUOTE(PJng @ Apr 19 2018, 05:38 PM)
I also wonder why, my current pc when windows 7 is 4GB
After update windows 10 few slow down,
Then i just added RAM to 8GB, still using HDD,
Now i open multiple browser, play game on bluestack no more slow down
Actually, it isn't just a disk problem. The recent fix for Spectre and Meltdown actually caused a lot of systems to come to a screeching halt in terms of usability. The most affected systems are those that had older cores in them; i3 and below. Machines running on Win 10 weren't as badly hit especially if they had newer hardware.

There's also issues with Microsoft as of late. Their own services are eating up insane amounts of RAM, especially the anti-virus program and some other services that I forgot the name of.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:35 AM