Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Crispy Chicken Saga is Fake News and Wrong!, Malaysian #triggered and kecoh ... ?!?

views

[F]atalit[Y]
post Apr 4 2018, 11:46 PM

Casual
312 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Apr 4 2018, 11:07 PM)
Why did netizena rage at him though? All #triggered so terus blindly bash?
Nothing new. Triggered dulu, pancut pancut pancut. Lepas tu diam diam. Dah salah masih tak puas.
teongpeng
post Apr 4 2018, 11:49 PM

Justified and Ancient
2,003 posts

QUOTE(amon_meiz @ Apr 4 2018, 11:28 PM)
The challenge is "cook dish that close to your heart"

So nasi lemak rendang is the one that close to zaleha heart

It doesn't work for u, but it meant alot to her

Hence why she cooked it
I already mention I was making an offtopic comment ma..
SUSamon_meiz
post Apr 4 2018, 11:52 PM

On my way
686 posts

QUOTE(KLboy92 @ Apr 4 2018, 11:40 PM)
Oh, news are already spinning it that way
Zaleha herself is spinning it that way

The way he said it sounds insulting but desmond is right - people are getting angry that their traditional dish didn't impress the judges. Lot of cultural pride getting involved here. Hence why PM and ambassador also weigh in dy.

To me I think traditional or not, judge confused or not, the dish was not impressive enough compared to what else was presented.

Its equally funny to see Msians complaining white people dono Msian food

Then say British food is bad and all fish and chips whistling.gif
1)well when a chef complaint rendang isnt crispy. U would doubt their credibility and ability to judge
How can they grade it fairly when they not only dont understand the dish. They also force their beliefs and expectations onto the dish.

Its like a malaysian complaint British food isnt belacan enough. That's wrong.

U not judging it for its own merit. U forcing ur belief onto the dish. And that belief is full of ignorance.

2)actually. British food is pretty dull. Even British people admit it.

Hence why gordon ramsay said his best adventure is in South east asia.
SUSamon_meiz
post Apr 4 2018, 11:54 PM

On my way
686 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Apr 4 2018, 11:49 PM)
I already mention I was making an offtopic comment ma..
Yes yes
I merely clarify why she pair nasi lemak & rendang
blanket84
post Apr 5 2018, 12:10 AM

Regular
1,499 posts

Torode was right. If you were to serve a chicken rendang, it should be overcooked and the flesh should easily come off the bones. Just like eating beef/lamb rib.

It's a valid comment. I dont understand why torode's name always being mentioned instead of the other guy.
SUSKLboy92
post Apr 5 2018, 12:18 AM

Getting Started
189 posts

QUOTE(amon_meiz @ Apr 4 2018, 11:52 PM)
1)well when a chef complaint rendang isnt crispy. U would doubt their credibility and ability to judge
How can they grade it fairly when they not only dont understand the dish. They also force their beliefs and expectations onto the dish.

Its like a malaysian complaint British food isnt belacan enough. That's wrong.

U not judging it for its own merit. U forcing ur belief onto the dish. And that belief is full of ignorance.

Actually, with 1 chef knowing what the dish is supposed to be like and 1 chef not knowing, you get the most fair appraisal

You have 1 guy who can judge how accurately Zaleha recreated rendang, and you have 1 guy who approach the dish with completely fresh perspective... and the judgement is that the dish is not up to standard

Look at the other dishes presented. Many of them are innovative, new, not relying on the force of "traditionally its prepared THIS way and MY COUNTRY considers it GOOD". (*) Purely relying on taste. If anything, Zaleha is the one playing an unfair advantage, cause she can cook a subpar rendang and the chefs may not know any better.

If her cooking is that good and the chefs are that stupid or prejudiced, sure... then come to Masterchef Asia and compete lah. When presenting to a Western audience/palate you know you have to adjust, adapt, or risk backfiring like this. Same for any cuisine.

*actually thats why so many kena triggered. Because the dish is not innovative at all, its an exact replica of what we normally eat, when Masterchef judge it poorly we feel like we are all judged poorly. That is the trigger factor.
2)actually. British food is pretty dull. Even British people admit it.

Hence why gordon ramsay said his best adventure is in South east asia.
So Msians are complaining UK are being culturally ignorant. And the proof is to pull out a British stereotype right? These chefs are judges for a reason, they will have been trained in French and Italian style cooking plus whatever else they've experienced personally, which has been pointed out includes some Asian foods. I think they can judge it better than most Msians. Pulling a British stereotype card on them is kinda racist don't you think?

Remember that most of the people criticising the British for "bad food" are also the same kind who think the best burger is a Ramly patty drowning in Maggi ketchup chilli mayo, and the height of culinary innovation is meat drowned in Kraft cheeze. Their idea of Western food is fried fish with Kraft tartar sauce or a lamb chop charred black with Heinz black pepper sauce.

Typical Msians saying British chefs don't know food... puhleaze

This post has been edited by KLboy92: Apr 5 2018, 12:21 AM
teongpeng
post Apr 5 2018, 12:22 AM

Justified and Ancient
2,003 posts

QUOTE(KLboy92 @ Apr 5 2018, 12:18 AM)
Actually, with 1 chef knowing what the dish is supposed to be like and 1 chef not knowing, you get the most fair appraisal

You have 1 guy who can judge how accurately Zaleha recreated rendang, and you have 1 guy who approach the dish with completely fresh perspective... and the judgement is that the dish is not up to standard

Look at the other dishes presented. Many of them are innovative, new, not relying on the force of "traditionally its prepared THIS way and MY COUNTRY considers it GOOD". Purely relying on taste. If anything, Zaleha is the one playing an unfair advantage, cause she can cook a subpar rendang and the chefs may not know any better.

If her cooking is that good and the chefs are that stupid or prejudiced, sure... then come to Masterchef Asia and compete lah. When presenting to a Western audience/palate you know you have to adjust, adapt, or risk backfiring like this. Same for any cuisine.

So Msians are complaining UK are being culturally ignorant. And the proof is to pull out a British stereotype right? These chefs are judges for a reason, they will have been trained in French and Italian style cooking plus whatever else they've experienced personally, which has been pointed out includes some Asian foods. I think they can judge it better than most Msians. Pulling a British stereotype card on them is kinda racist don't you think?

Remember that most of the people criticising the British for "bad food" are also the same kind who think the best burger is a Ramly patty drowning in Maggi ketchup chilli mayo, and the height of culinary innovation is meat drowned in Kraft cheeze. Their idea of Western food is fried fish with Kraft tartar sauce or a lamb chop charred black with Heinz black pepper sauce.

if I give u a +1 for this post, dunno amon will marah me or not. I dunno how to counter back

kcchong2000
post Apr 5 2018, 12:25 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(maxizanc @ Apr 4 2018, 11:45 PM)
Meh.

The last time i ate nasi lemak rendang ayam was at Paparich kena cirit birit
Sue paparich lar. Cakap Sini buat apa?
pandah
post Apr 5 2018, 01:00 AM

On my way
668 posts

so the conclusion?

tersalah pancut shoot wrong ppl?

and the dish memang is undercook due to not enough time?

therefore she drop out is a correct decision?
Einjahr
post Apr 5 2018, 07:35 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(KLboy92 @ Apr 4 2018, 11:40 PM)
Oh, news are already spinning it that way
Zaleha herself is spinning it that way

The way he said it sounds insulting but desmond is right - people are getting angry that their traditional dish didn't impress the judges. Lot of cultural pride getting involved here. Hence why PM and ambassador also weigh in dy.

To me I think traditional or not, judge confused or not, the dish was not impressive enough compared to what else was presented.

Its equally funny to see Msians complaining white people dono Msian food

Then say British food is bad and all fish and chips whistling.gif
eyy i like fish and chips, and white ppl love asian food btw
no need to polish dem fancy shoes.
😒😒

Einjahr
post Apr 5 2018, 07:41 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(KLboy92 @ Apr 5 2018, 12:18 AM)

Look at the other dishes presented. Many of them are innovative, new, not relying on the force of "traditionally its prepared THIS way and MY COUNTRY considers it GOOD". (*) Purely relying on taste. If anything, Zaleha is the one playing an unfair advantage, cause she can cook a subpar rendang and the chefs may not know any better.

*actually thats why so many kena triggered. Because the dish is not innovative at all, its an exact replica of what we normally eat, when Masterchef judge it poorly we feel like we are all judged poorly. That is the trigger factor.

so where does namaste fit into this? is that even sounds remotely legit? 🙄
DarkNite
post Apr 5 2018, 07:44 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

QUOTE(dagnarus @ Apr 4 2018, 10:36 PM)
But cooking a good rendang really require more than 90 minutes that the participants are allowed. Slow cook it is the best and required hours for the meat to soften. She could use a pressure cooker but the timing is tricky, and the sauce might not taste as nice...
Yup!
and she use the pressure cooker to do it in that show in less than an hour?! hmm.gif
LookOut!
post Apr 5 2018, 07:54 AM

12 posts

Bodo

Nasi lemak side dish can be anything. Go ahead n pair with siew yoke if u want
bereev
post Apr 5 2018, 08:20 AM

Getting Started
247 posts

user posted image

user posted image
kllonely1
post Apr 5 2018, 08:27 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Apr 4 2018, 09:52 PM)
According to this guy: https://medium.com/@ivanhong_25005/everythi...ong-cd9342bb8ec

Since MCMC don't approve medium.com, so here is the whole article:

Everything You Know About the “Crispy Rendang” Saga is Wrong
TL;DR culture at its worst

You think you’ve heard the story. John Torode; a white, male chef on MasterChef UK trample on a Malaysian macik’s rendang for not having crispy skin. “Cultural imperialism at its finest”, you think to yourself. White boy ignorance as usual. Cue the the internet brigade to educate this Western barbarian with dank memes and Twitter screenshots.

These days, it’s safe to assume that if a piece of content shared on the internet is attention-grabbing, it was designed that way through a heady brew of selective reporting, and shit stirring. That’s the only way marketers can get you to clickthrough, and more importantly, share pieces of content — often without even reading.

Here’s a list of facts about the “Crispy Rendang” saga to set the record straight:

1) John Torode Is No Stranger To Rendang
No, Torode is not projecting his “Western”, Eurocentric hunger for crispy fried chicken onto macik Zaleha’s dish. In a 10-part series which aired in 2015 on the UK’s Good Food channel — John Torode’s Malaysian Adventure — Torode goes on a culinary tour of Malaysian food.

In fact, in one episode filmed in Langkawi, Torode is shown how rendang is made — from scratch (albeit with duck as the protein).

During the now-infamous Masterchef UK episode, Torode demonstrates his familiarity with Malaysian cuisine by giving the audience a run-down of the classic nasi lemak dish, saying that the rice has to be served with not too much coconut milk, the sambal has to be ferociously hot, and the chicken’s meat has to be “really, really soft and falling apart”.

Torode is both familiar with, and appreciative of Malaysian cuisine — including rendang too.

2) Torode Did Not Criticize The Rendang for Not Being “Crispy”
There were two chefs on the panel — John Torode, and Gregg Wallace. Now bear in mind, that Torode knows what good rendang looks, and tastes like.

Zaleha presented the two judges with a luxurious plate of nasi lemak with chicken rendang, roasted peanuts, sambal prawn, crispy fried anchovies, cucumber slices, and rolled omelette strips.

After tasting, it was the first judge, Gregg Wallace who criticized the chicken skin for not being crispy enough. Yes, of course — the only judge who hadn’t tasted rendang before.

Torode would know better, Wallace, of course, didn’t.

“I like the rendang flavour, there’s a coconut sweetness, however, the chicken skin isn’t crispy. It can’t be eaten and all the sauce is on the skin, I can’t eat,” Wallace said.

2) Torode Was Judging the Dish as Nasi Lemak
Yes, you read that right — the dish in question, was not a standalone rendang. Nor was it served as a side dish alongside many others — which is how most of us in Southeast Asia would normally have it. Zaleha was serving the rendang as part of nasi lemak.

Zaleha, who hails from Kuantan, Malaysia, explained that the dish was her childhood favorite.

“I used to save my pocket money to buy nasi lemak on Friday and there was a special stall outside our school that used to sell the best nasi lemak for 20 sen, it is very special,” Zaleha told Torode while she was preparing the dish.

After, Gregg made the infamous “crispy rendang comment”, Torode chimed in, saying that the “chicken rendang on the side is a mistake”.

Now, a quick Google image search of “nasi lemak” shows that of the nasi lemak dishes which served chicken as the main protein of the dish, well over half of them are — you guessed it — crispy, fried, chicken.

In most parts of the Malay Peninsula, I have never ordered nasi lemak that came without crispy fried chicken, or fish — unless I deliberately chose to go with the a la carte option where I have complete freedom over the choice of protein and vegetables. I’m betting that most Malaysians and Singaporeans expect the same too.

That’s not to say that nasi lemak is never served with rendang — or that nasi lemak is always served with some type crispy meat. But more often than not, it is.

And perhaps that’s what Greg Wallace — not Torode — was expecting too.

The way Zaleha plated the dish does look a lot like Ayam Panggang, which, though not crispy, often has a much more tender and juicy flesh due to the shorter cooking time and the use of a grill.

3) Torode Judged the Rendang On its Own Merits
But Torode didn’t simply dismiss the dish because he thought the choice of rendang as a side dish didn’t match his expectation of nasi lemak. Torode likely knew from his time in Malaysia that nasi lemak is often served a la carte.

Torode’s second critique of the dish was the chicken rendang itself:

“It hasn’t had enough time to cook down and become lovely and soft and falling apart. Instead the chicken is just tough and not really flavoursome,” he said.

Now, that’s an entirely different critique entirely.

In my experience, chicken rendang is much rarer than beef or mutton rendang. Except perhaps to Nonyas — who seem exceptionally skilled at not making the chicken meat dry and tough.

Was Zaleha’s chicken really as bad as Torode claimed? I have no way of knowing for sure, but I’m inclined to trust his professional judgement of the appropriate flavor penetration, and texture for stewed/fried/grilled chicken.

P.S. One of my readers alerted me to the fact that the MasterChef UK winner in 2014 was Ping Coombs — a Malaysian. Interestingly enough, Ping also appeared in Torode’s Malaysian Adventure TV series.

Conclusions:
Torode knows Malaysian cuisine, and rendang.
Torode didn’t make the “crispy rendang” comment — Gregg did.
Torode didn’t like how the rendang was paired with nasi lemak
Torode didn’t like how the chicken was “tough” and “not really flavorsome”. He did not expect it to be crispy.
Chef Wan, how?
Nak minta maaf?
SUSprince12
post Apr 5 2018, 08:41 AM

46 posts

The dish was indeed under-cook, so this led to her defeat in the competition.

desmond2020
post Apr 5 2018, 08:43 AM

Enthusiast
797 posts

QUOTE(amon_meiz @ Apr 4 2018, 11:23 PM)
Even here u can be racist towards malay

Ur racism really knows no bound la
you know where the term 'superior food' origins from

here read this tered

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...8&hl=masterchef

talking about racism
TSdeodorant
post Apr 5 2018, 09:42 AM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(Einjahr @ Apr 5 2018, 07:41 AM)
so where does namaste fit into this? is that even sounds remotely legit? 🙄

The Namaste part could have been intentional troll. Or it could have been Torreto memang bodoh ignorant. In either case, it seems like a knee jerk reaction to being falsely accused by like almost the entire army of MY/ID netizens, no?

ie:
Toretto: The chicken not cooked down enough, it should be more tender and falling off the bone.
Netizens: WOI TORETTO U BODOH PEK KAMBING, WHERE GOT SUCH THING AS CRISPY CHICKEN SKIN RENDANG?!?
Toretto: Dafug?!?
Einjahr
post Apr 5 2018, 11:00 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Apr 5 2018, 09:42 AM)
The Namaste part could have been intentional troll. Or it could have been Torreto memang bodoh ignorant. In either case, it seems like a knee jerk reaction to being falsely accused by like almost the entire army of MY/ID netizens, no?

ie:
Toretto: The chicken not cooked down enough, it should be more tender and falling off the bone.
Netizens: WOI TORETTO U BODOH PEK KAMBING, WHERE GOT SUCH THING AS CRISPY CHICKEN SKIN RENDANG?!?
Toretto: Dafug?!?
btw
it was william wallace, not corneto

Einjahr
post Apr 5 2018, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(desmond2020 @ Apr 5 2018, 08:43 AM)
you know where the term 'superior food' origins from
here read this tered
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...8&hl=masterchef
talking about racism
racism in food is a new one if any😂😂

btw, why do u think yuropeans come all the way here to find spice?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:44 AM