Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need advise on new bike

views

TSstorm.trooper
post Apr 3 2018, 03:46 PM, updated 6y ago

12 posts

This is my first time getting a new bike 650cc, would like to get some advice on:

1. Is it common to have test drive? Tried Kawasaki dealers around my area and all says no test drive unit. Is there other brand that you know off provides test drive unit?
2. Have been reading quite a few post here to either get personal loan or cash purchase of new bike. How does the purchasing works? e.g. how much to put as deposit? When to pay the rest? What documents is needed?
3. How to get the best deal? Have been seeing freebies given on new bike. Would it discount more if I don't want to freebies? Also, is cash purchase preferable to the dealers or branches?
4. Where do you look for bike group for weekends santai rides? Assuming that's the best time to get familiar and comfortable with the new bike.
5. Do you have other advise to offer on looking around for new 650cc bikes?

Thanks in advance smile.gif
ajaibman
post Apr 3 2018, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 3 2018, 03:46 PM)
This is my first time getting a new bike 650cc, would like to get some advice on:

1. Is it common to have test drive? Tried Kawasaki dealers around my area and all says no test drive unit. Is there other brand that you know off provides test drive unit?
2. Have been reading quite a few post here to either get personal loan or cash purchase of new bike. How does the purchasing works? e.g. how much to put as deposit? When to pay the rest? What documents is needed?
3. How to get the best deal? Have been seeing freebies given on new bike. Would it discount more if I don't want to freebies? Also, is cash purchase preferable to the dealers or branches?
4. Where do you look for bike group for weekends santai rides? Assuming that's the best time to get familiar and comfortable with the new bike.

1. Common for Continental or Murica brand bikes.. (Triumph, BMW, Harley, Ducati, Motoguzzi, KTM and such) but for Jepunis, very seldom, you can try your luck by going to bigger Welly Dealer shop such as in Batu Caves or Sg. Buloh to try the Jepunis brand.

2. If your bike above 30 to 35k new price, you can try the bank loan from Maybank, Al Rahji, BSNC, Muamalat but if less than 30K, only AEON loan or your own Personal Loan. (requirement is normal similar with you apply car loan)

3. Compare prices from one shop to another (aside from the test drive) one dealer to another they will fight for best price especially if you buy cash .. (Again this only works for Asian brand, not continental) for loan, unfortunately you don't have much choices. If you already have those basic necessity, by all means opt out for the free gift, then you might get a discounted price (not much though).

4.Here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4456073

5. again depends on your needs, budget and skills. (Daily commuting, attacking corner, long distance touring, etc) We cant advise you based on the engine capacity only.
EyraYus
post Apr 4 2018, 12:00 AM

sTRe3tHunt3R
2,151 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 3 2018, 03:46 PM)

1. Not common. As already said mainly the more premium European and American brand have test ride unit. Japanese brand usually no. But you can ask the shop to test ride any used unit they have, engine should feel the same.

2. Well that will depend. For big bike the normal interest rate for AEON is 4.2& P.A. Personal loan is usually higher than that so I suggest to go for hire purchase loan instead. Bank loan have lower interest rate usually at 3.XX% P.A. but have higher income requirement (min RM3k). Deposit depends on your bank account. Usually its 10% minimum. Some dealer can adjust so you can get 100% loan. Again loan approval will depends on your documents. Pay the rest on monthly basis. Documents required is standard loan style,3 month payslip and bank statement/EPF statements. Talk to your preferred dealer.

3. Best deal? Go around and ask.. no fixed promotion. Welly always give good promo bundle. MOTORSIM Jalan Ipoh also. No discount even if you dont want any of the freebie. My advise is reject all the cheap and common freebie (rain jacket, disc lock, cheap helmet) and ask for a premium freebie like jacket or good helmet. Cash purchase or loan purchase both are the same to dealer, unless you are buying a used bike as they can give you more discount if you want to make a cash purchase.

4. Facebook is your guide here. Just look for your bike related FB group. But do be aware most group ride will tend to have some very fast and furious rider, so always choose your riding partner carefully so you wont go beyond your capability.

5. 650cc bike is good enough for a new rider. Enough power to make it scary, but tame enough to ride it without any problem.

Do let us know your riding experience, and what will you require from your bike. I mean, are you going to ride it only on weekend or for daily travel? What is your definition of weekend ride? ( corner attack or long distance ride) There are so many type of bikes up for sale nowadays. You have to choose to best one suite your needs.

Anyway I do have a used 2012 Ducati Monster for sale. Perfect condition with just 11k KM mileage. Do let me know if you are interested.
basilisk
post Apr 4 2018, 11:08 AM

30 posts

u looking @ wht bike? if new z650/ninja650, can try ask kawa hq cos they hv few demo bike, maybe they can let u test, or can tell u which dealer hv demo bike.
if u not frm klang valley then abit susah la...
TSstorm.trooper
post Apr 4 2018, 10:15 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Apr 3 2018, 05:28 PM)
1. Common for Continental or Murica brand bikes.. (Triumph, BMW, Harley, Ducati, Motoguzzi, KTM and such) but for Jepunis, very seldom, you can try your luck by going to bigger Welly Dealer shop such as in Batu Caves or Sg. Buloh to try the Jepunis brand.

2. If your bike above 30 to 35k new price, you can try the bank loan from Maybank, Al Rahji, BSNC, Muamalat but if less than 30K, only AEON loan or your own Personal Loan. (requirement is normal similar with you apply car loan)

3. Compare prices from one shop to another (aside from the test drive) one dealer to another they will fight for best price especially if you buy cash .. (Again this only works for Asian brand, not continental) for loan, unfortunately you don't have much choices. If you already have those basic necessity, by all means opt out for the free gift, then you might get a discounted price (not much though).

4.Here:  https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4456073

5. again depends on your needs, budget and skills. (Daily commuting, attacking corner, long distance touring, etc) We cant advise you based on the engine capacity only.
QUOTE(EyraYus @ Apr 4 2018, 12:00 AM)
1. Not common. As already said mainly the more premium European and American brand have test ride unit. Japanese brand usually no. But you can ask the shop to test ride any used unit they have, engine should feel the same.

2. Well that will depend. For big bike the normal interest rate for AEON is 4.2& P.A. Personal loan is usually higher than that so I suggest to go for hire purchase loan instead. Bank loan have lower interest rate usually at 3.XX% P.A. but have higher income requirement (min RM3k). Deposit depends on your bank account. Usually its 10% minimum. Some dealer can adjust so you can get 100% loan. Again loan approval will depends on your documents. Pay the rest on monthly basis. Documents required is standard loan style,3 month payslip and bank statement/EPF statements. Talk to your preferred dealer.

3. Best deal? Go around and ask.. no fixed promotion. Welly always give good promo bundle. MOTORSIM Jalan Ipoh also. No discount even if you dont want any of the freebie. My advise is reject all the cheap and common freebie (rain jacket, disc lock, cheap helmet) and ask for a premium freebie like jacket or good helmet. Cash purchase or loan purchase both are the same to dealer, unless you are buying a used bike as they can give you more discount if you want to make a cash purchase.

4. Facebook is your guide here. Just look for your bike related FB group. But do be aware most group ride will tend to have some very fast and furious rider, so always choose your riding partner carefully so you wont go beyond your capability.

5. 650cc bike is good enough for a new rider. Enough power to make it scary, but tame enough to ride it without any problem.

Do let us know your riding experience, and what will you require from your bike. I mean, are you going to ride it only on weekend or for daily travel? What is your definition of weekend ride? ( corner attack or long distance ride) There are so many type of bikes up for sale nowadays. You have to choose to best one suite your needs.

Anyway I do have a used 2012 Ducati Monster for sale. Perfect condition with just 11k KM mileage. Do let me know if you are interested.
QUOTE(basilisk @ Apr 4 2018, 11:08 AM)
u looking @ wht bike? if new z650/ninja650, can try ask kawa hq cos they hv few demo bike, maybe they can let u test,  or can tell u which dealer hv demo bike.
if u not frm klang valley then abit susah la...
Thanks for the tips.
Indeed, asking around dealer which they says no test drive. Until someone from Kawasaki help to find a dealer with similar engine (not the intended model) for test drive. Will go for a test drive before deciding.

The new bike will be mainly for weekend ride. Since this is my first big bike, not too sure what to expect but would like to pick up the skill of riding spot bike.
lowpro
post Apr 5 2018, 09:15 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

Hmmm for 650, you have the sport tourers from Kawa (Ninja 650 and z650) and Honda (CB and CBR650F) only I guess to consider. Good and reliable bikes.
wuwah
post Apr 5 2018, 09:20 AM

ai ai ai~
1,153 posts

Some times, if dealers join large motorbike event, they have test ride unit. Last time I test ride cbr500 when honda got event/show at UM biggrin.gif

If u can wait, maybe try your luck when next motoGP at sepang hmm.gif
Justin.Loong
post Apr 5 2018, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 4 2018, 10:15 PM)
Thanks for the tips.
Indeed, asking around dealer which they says no test drive. Until someone from Kawasaki help to find a dealer with similar engine (not the intended model) for test drive. Will go for a test drive before deciding.

The new bike will be mainly for weekend ride. Since this is my first big bike, not too sure what to expect but would like to pick up the skill of riding spot bike.
If you want to be proficient of riding a bike, then it's better for you to ride daily.
Practise makes perfect. brows.gif

Also, hope you can find good biking buddies who can guide you on the proper and safe way to ride bikes. icon_question.gif console.gif cheers.gif
And don't forget to invest in good riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc...) moneyflies.gif moneyflies.gif
mkty91
post Apr 5 2018, 09:47 AM

27 posts

in Klang, there's a riding clinic for better riding skills. i started my racing career there when i was 18. for bike testing, either u have some relationship with the shop owner or llike the other sifus said, have to wait... do pm me so i could share u more.

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 4 2018, 10:15 PM)
Thanks for the tips.

ajaibman
post Apr 5 2018, 10:12 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Apr 5 2018, 09:15 AM)
Hmmm for 650, you have the sport tourers from Kawa (Ninja 650 and z650) and Honda (CB and CBR650F) only I guess to consider. Good and reliable bikes.
Also Benelli TNT600, TRK502, Leoncino 502

Then

CB600R Hnoda.

All below or equivalent to 650 cc
PedangGila
post Apr 5 2018, 10:41 AM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Hmm. For me, if my budget allows then I just need to seat on one, if it feels good then directly haggle for a deal. Yes, performance wise not until you test it you'll not know. I heard that even if they give you the chance to test the bike, the environment is not very suitable for collecting enough feedback and the bike itself is not tuned to your liking. It may be misleading the first impression.

For freebies, they're just eye candy as you will be looking for better one next either an upgrade or spare. Test them, wear them first to your liking.

Watchout for deposit and monthly installments as these are the spots where dealers will claw back what they just gave you. In sense freebies are not free because there's dealer special price and loan commission, absorbing everything you throw on them.

As for groupy stuff it's behind for later thoughts because sometimes, it can hit you back depending on herd mentality. I bought the bike because I wanna travel from A to B, not to get involved in group politics/antics (where they decided to steamroll everything onto you, leaving you in quite a pinch). Yes, just shrug it off and play dumb the moment it happens.

This post has been edited by PedangGila: Apr 5 2018, 11:14 AM
lowpro
post Apr 5 2018, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Apr 5 2018, 10:12 AM)
Also Benelli TNT600, TRK502, Leoncino 502

Then

CB600R Hnoda.

All below or equivalent to 650 cc
He said 650 mah, so I suggested the 650 only lor biggrin.gif
basilisk
post Apr 5 2018, 03:52 PM

30 posts

wht model ts wan? versys? vulcan s?
lowpro
post Apr 5 2018, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Apr 5 2018, 03:52 PM)
wht model ts wan? versys? vulcan s?
Yeah, you're right. There's the Versys and Vulcan S using the same 2 cylinder 650cc Kawa engine too
TSstorm.trooper
post Apr 7 2018, 12:18 AM

12 posts

Thanks for all the replies.
- MotoGP 2018 is in November shocking.gif
- Full gear (e.g. helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots & protectors) is already in my list and I'm starting buying it. Even I'm yet to own a bike.

lowpro
post Apr 7 2018, 11:39 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 7 2018, 12:18 AM)
- Full gear (e.g. helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots & protectors) is already in my list and I'm starting buying it. Even I'm yet to own a bike.
Also, get a larger raincoat so that you can wear it over your regular riding jacket. Alternatively, get a jacket with a removable waterproof layer
TSstorm.trooper
post Apr 8 2018, 01:20 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Apr 7 2018, 11:39 PM)
Also, get a larger raincoat so that you can wear it over your regular riding jacket. Alternatively, get a jacket with a removable waterproof layer
Sure thing, thanks.
ajaibman
post Apr 9 2018, 10:47 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 7 2018, 12:18 AM)
Good on the bike apparel, safety is priority..

Buriram Moto GP, early October....
TSstorm.trooper
post Apr 9 2018, 01:12 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Apr 9 2018, 10:47 AM)
Good on the bike apparel, safety is priority..

Buriram Moto GP, early October....
Earlier days of my bike riding days never have the idea of getting correct gear. A SGV helmet (not even a visor) is as good as it gets. With technology advance, we see how fragile human body can get. With protection, we can afford to fall down a few more times. In fact, if the gear is damage, it's replaceable. But if the body is, there's only regrettable. Full gear is a must.
haturaya
post Apr 9 2018, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(storm.trooper @ Apr 9 2018, 01:12 PM)
Earlier days of my bike riding days never have the idea of getting correct gear. A SGV helmet (not even a visor) is as good as it gets. With technology advance, we see how fragile human body can get. With protection, we can afford to fall down a few more times. In fact, if the gear is damage, it's replaceable. But if the body is, there's only regrettable. Full gear is a must.
thumbup.gif

Me too... Luckily my uni team up with Shell and they really promote safe riding, free lessons, convoys, etc.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:06 PM