Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Kia Sportage 2018

views

alandhw
post Jun 18 2020, 12:39 PM

Regular
1,952 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 18 2020, 09:37 AM)
What did your mechanic friend say? Well the car has low resale value but if you are gonna use it for a long time then it shouldn't be a problem.
Mechanic gave a comment "Pricey spare part and the parts are not long lasting. ABS breakdown frequently"
I plan to grab a 2nd hand one, manufactured year 2012-2014 which cost around 38k-45k

widget
post Jun 18 2020, 02:15 PM

Regular
1,155 posts

QUOTE(alandhw @ Jun 18 2020, 12:39 PM)
Mechanic gave a comment "Pricey spare part and the parts are not long lasting. ABS breakdown frequently"
I plan to grab a 2nd hand one, manufactured year 2012-2014 which cost around 38k-45k
I drove the last gen Sportage, i.e. year 2011 CBU until I sold it in 2018 after clocking 120k km or so.

Things that you need to consider for this model:
1. It's a fuel guzzler. I was only getting 350-400 per tank.
2. Aircond compressor is a well known issue after driving for 2-3 years
3. Spare parts are not that pricey as there are many shops that can service this model. After my warranty ended, I did the servicing at Autosaver, which are cheaper than SC

This post has been edited by widget: Jun 18 2020, 02:16 PM
alandhw
post Jun 18 2020, 03:03 PM

Regular
1,952 posts

QUOTE(widget @ Jun 18 2020, 02:15 PM)
I drove the last gen Sportage, i.e. year 2011 CBU until I sold it in 2018 after clocking 120k km or so.

Things that you need to consider for this model:
1. It's a fuel guzzler. I was only getting 350-400 per tank.
2. Aircond compressor is a well known issue after driving for 2-3 years
3. Spare parts are not that pricey as there are many shops that can service this model. After my warranty ended, I did the servicing at Autosaver, which are cheaper than SC
Thanks widget for the review.
I read your post on the fuel highlight which compare with CX5, it is about 50% higher consumption
Not sure the 2013-2014 model has any improvement on the fuel consumption part.

May I know how much the Aircond compressor cost? so it is like 2-3 years need to replace once to fixed the aircond problem?
So far any electronic issue with the car?
Thanks.
widget
post Jun 19 2020, 09:06 AM

Regular
1,155 posts

QUOTE(alandhw @ Jun 18 2020, 03:03 PM)
Thanks widget for the review.
I read your post on the fuel highlight which compare with CX5, it is about 50% higher consumption
Not sure the 2013-2014 model has any improvement on the fuel consumption part.

May I know how much the Aircond compressor cost? so it is like 2-3 years need to replace once to fixed the aircond problem?
So far any electronic issue with the car?
Thanks.
My aircond started giving problem from the 3rd year ownership, but I just top-up the a/c gas every 6-8 months or so.
The aircond compressor is a well known issue for last gen Sportage in the local FB group too.

As for electronic, not much issue really just that sometimes the rear view monitor on the rear view mirror refused to function when engaged R gear.
Also check the sun roof as if not use for sometimes, the motor might not work properly.
Overall, it is a good car and still a looker. Just that the high FC (especially if stuck in traffic jam) can be a deal breaker
alandhw
post Jun 19 2020, 01:12 PM

Regular
1,952 posts

QUOTE(widget @ Jun 19 2020, 09:06 AM)
My aircond started giving problem from the 3rd year ownership, but I just top-up the a/c gas every 6-8 months or so.
The aircond compressor is a well known issue for last gen Sportage in the local FB group too.

As for electronic, not much issue really just that sometimes the rear view monitor on the rear view mirror refused to function when engaged R gear.
Also check the sun roof as if not use for sometimes, the motor might not work properly.
Overall, it is a good car and still a looker. Just that the high FC (especially if stuck in traffic jam) can be a deal breaker
So even replace the aircond compressor still couldn't solve the problem?
Heard many feedback on high FC as this factor could turn me off since it is the long term cost.
widget
post Jun 19 2020, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,155 posts

QUOTE(alandhw @ Jun 19 2020, 01:12 PM)
So even replace the aircond compressor still couldn't solve the problem?
Heard many feedback on high FC as this factor could turn me off since it is the long term cost.
I did not change the a/c compressor but the a/c did give me a problem from 3rd year onward.
melkishi81
post Jun 20 2020, 03:40 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 18 2020, 12:48 AM)
Well I guess fate has it's own way. I actually booked for Sportage but no stock. I waited for a month and couldn't wait anymore. Went to test drive CX-5 and instantly fell in love with it.
Hi Duckies,

What was the reason for you to choose Mazda CX-5 over Kia Sportage? Mind sharing it with us? biggrin.gif

TSDuckies
post Jun 20 2020, 09:01 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,543 posts

QUOTE(melkishi81 @ Jun 20 2020, 03:40 PM)
Hi Duckies,

What was the reason for you to choose Mazda CX-5 over Kia Sportage? Mind sharing it with us?  biggrin.gif
To be honest there are really few reasons for me to go back on my decisions on Kia Sportage and go for Mazda CX-5 instead.

1. Kia Sportage's spare part availability and price
2. CX-5 interior is better
3. Specs and features CX-5 is better
4. Kia Sportage is diesel while my CX-5 is the petrol variant. Long term wise I feel petrol is cheaper to fix and maintain
melkishi81
post Jun 21 2020, 11:41 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 20 2020, 09:01 PM)
To be honest there are really few reasons for me to go back on my decisions on Kia Sportage and go for Mazda CX-5 instead.

4. Kia Sportage is diesel while my CX-5 is the petrol variant. Long term wise I feel petrol is cheaper to fix and maintain
I also prefers the petrol variant over diesel as I’m not much of a petrol head 😅

Yours are 2.0GLS or the 2.5?

I do agree, the interior & exterior of CX-5 are better than the Kia Sportage. One feature I can’t stand on sportage is its minuscule signal lamp 😅
TSDuckies
post Jun 21 2020, 05:56 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,543 posts

QUOTE(melkishi81 @ Jun 21 2020, 11:41 AM)
I also prefers the petrol variant over diesel as I’m not much of a petrol head 😅

Yours are 2.0GLS or the 2.5?

I do agree, the interior & exterior of CX-5 are better than the Kia Sportage. One feature I can’t stand on sportage is its minuscule signal lamp 😅
Mine would be the 2.0 GLS. I don't really need the extra power from 2.5 and 2.5 has a higher maintenance cost - larger tire, more fuel consumption and higher road tax + insurance.
langatian
post Jun 22 2020, 09:50 AM

Getting Started
270 posts

Any sportage diesel user here?
woodentiger86
post Jun 23 2020, 09:10 AM

Budding DIY Detailer & Avid Gamer
2,414 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 21 2020, 05:56 PM)
Mine would be the 2.0 GLS. I don't really need the extra power from 2.5 and 2.5 has a higher maintenance cost - larger tire, more fuel consumption and higher road tax + insurance.
Thanks for the feedback.

How long have you been owning the CX5?

My wife will be a proud owner of the 2.5 GLS very soon too and I'm happy for her. biggrin.gif

Been following the CX5 thread closely too and overall there seems to be not a lot of major issues [like gearbox/transmission].
TSDuckies
post Jun 23 2020, 09:29 AM

Rubber Ducky
9,543 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Jun 23 2020, 09:10 AM)
Thanks for the feedback.

How long have you been owning the CX5?

My wife will be a proud owner of the 2.5 GLS very soon too and I'm happy for her. biggrin.gif

Been following the CX5 thread closely too and overall there seems to be not a lot of major issues [like gearbox/transmission].
Have been owning this great car for 2 years. So far no major issues. But if you follows the CX-5 thread, it do have some small common issues sweat.gif
ry8128
post Jun 23 2020, 09:56 AM

♣Just a noob♣
3,382 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 20 2020, 09:01 PM)

I guess you had make the right decision smile.gif
Kilohertz
post Jul 16 2020, 10:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,172 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Jun 23 2020, 09:29 AM)
Have been owning this great car for 2 years. So far no major issues. But if you follows the CX-5 thread, it do have some small common issues  sweat.gif
what's the common issue in cx-5? used to own a mazda before but not cx-5, had issues with the lower arm bush..multiple replacement for thta part.. haha
TSDuckies
post Jul 16 2020, 10:30 AM

Rubber Ducky
9,543 posts

QUOTE(Kilohertz @ Jul 16 2020, 10:10 AM)
what's the common issue in cx-5? used to own a mazda before but not cx-5, had issues with the lower arm bush..multiple replacement for thta part.. haha
Lower arm bush, leaking absorbers, side mirrors unable to retract and random vibrating/rumbling sound inside the car. The last one is the hardest to solve.
Kilohertz
post Oct 25 2020, 10:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,172 posts

is it worth getting a used 2018 Sportage now?
Bjorn1688
post Oct 26 2020, 01:29 AM

Regular
1,924 posts

I was driving a Sportage 2.0D up until December when it was sent to car heaven by a Mazda CX3.

Bought it a month after GST was set to 0% and also had a rm13k discount on it bundled together with free servicing for 3 years.

Things that were expensive? The tyres, the AGM battery that will require replacement every 18-24 months and body parts.

The 18 months I owned it we put 98k on it. 2 days before it was involved in a head on crash, I had just replaced the battery, tyres and gave it a major service. The only part I had to replace was the rubber piece that covers the switch to open the tailgate and that was covered under warranty.

We were on the way to Cameron Highlands, just before the Tapah R&R that Mazda CX3 hydroplaned spun twice and we met head on.

The difference between the CX3 and the Sportage? My wife, daughter and me walked to the R&R, cleaned ourselves up and we had a KFC while waiting for a tow truck. After the trip to make police reports, we called for a Grab car to continue with our holiday. The lady driving the CX3 had to be brought to hospital in an ambulance because she broke her leg and 2 ribs while her son had some facial injuries.

QUOTE(Kilohertz @ Oct 25 2020, 10:17 PM)
is it worth getting a used 2018 Sportage now?
Only if it is a diesel.
4WD_er
post Oct 26 2020, 11:02 AM

Casual
459 posts

Yes, worth it if it's diesel.

Korean make good diesel engines ! To one surprise, their diesel tech is actually better than the Japs.
JZenith
post Oct 26 2020, 11:18 AM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Oct 26 2020, 01:29 AM)
I was driving a Sportage 2.0D up until December when it was sent to car heaven by a Mazda CX3.

Bought it a month after GST was set to 0% and also had a rm13k discount on it bundled together with free servicing for 3 years.

Things that were expensive? The tyres, the AGM battery that will require replacement every 18-24 months and body parts.

The 18 months I owned it we put 98k on it. 2 days before it was involved in a head on crash, I had just replaced the battery, tyres and gave it a major service. The only part I had to replace was the rubber piece that covers the switch to open the tailgate and that was covered under warranty.

We were on the way to Cameron Highlands, just before the Tapah R&R that Mazda CX3 hydroplaned spun twice and we met head on.

The difference between the CX3 and the Sportage? My wife, daughter and me walked to the R&R, cleaned ourselves up and we had a KFC while waiting for a tow truck. After the trip to make police reports, we called for a Grab car to continue with our holiday. The lady driving the CX3 had to be brought to hospital in an ambulance because she broke her leg and 2 ribs while her son had some facial injuries.
Only if it is a diesel.
hyundai/kia's advanced high strength steel did the job.

10 Pages « < 8 9 10Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:05 AM