Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking Going fully IPv6 on LAN & Internet, No IPv4, no dual-stack

views

kent05
post Sep 20 2018, 10:03 PM

Getting Started
183 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Sep 17 2018, 07:41 PM)
So I can setup /64 subnets. Example for guest wifi, etc.
oic....I dont't think it is possible that TM will allocate /54 subnets to home users.
TSsoonwai
post Sep 20 2018, 10:17 PM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(kent05 @ Sep 20 2018, 10:03 PM)
oic....I dont't think it is possible that TM will allocate /54 subnets to home users.
/56. Yeah, they declined my request. Some ISPs around the world do that but not all.
Doraku
post Jan 17 2019, 10:44 PM

Old threads digger
1,121 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 23 2018, 05:29 PM)
Yes, that's a big problem, the long IP addresses. But that's why we have DNS. My plan to avoid remembering ipv6 addresses is to use DNS. for example: mbpr.local and router.local are my MacBook and router respectively.
apparently windows 10 now have mDNS,
Attached Image
despite wikipedia say it limited to finding printer only
mDNS has also been implemented in Windows 10, but its use there is limited to discovering networked printers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS
I dont have Linux or MacOS tho to check it is working with it. BTW how your IPv6 experiment going?
eclectice
post Jan 18 2019, 11:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

Office environment will not allow IPv6 for the security reason and it will be a headache to control and manage IPv4 and IPv6 devices connected to the same network.
rogue
post Aug 18 2022, 03:49 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 23 2018, 03:54 PM)
Today or tomorrow or over the weekend, one of my LANs is going fully IPv6. No more IPv4, not even dual-stack.

Let's see how this experiment goes.

Has anyone done this before?

Router: Mikrotik RB750Gr3 and UniFi 100mbps.

What I'm doing is creating a new VLAN which is IPv6 only. I'm not crazy, I still have my normal VLAN for normal stuff. Anyway, anything that connects to the new LAN will only have IPv6 addresses.

Things That Work
user posted image
1. This is GMail. Google is damn good. Not a single IPv4 address in sight.

Things That Don't
1. One of my webhosts is not on IPv6.
2. Any website that doesn't have IPv6.

Problems and Solutions
1. Crazy long addresses - DNS
2. Firewall - ?
3. Mikrotik's hopeless IPv6 Router Announcements (RA) - ?
4. DDNS for IPv6 - ?
5. Security concerns since everything is accessible from the internet. (Yay, no more port fort-porwarding)
Hi, abit old, but I was wondering how did the setup go ? I did this many moons ago but it didn't go so well as it was missing some key components like DNS64.
rogue
post Jan 17 2023, 04:03 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Sep 20 2018, 10:17 PM)
/56. Yeah, they declined my request. Some ISPs around the world do that but not all.
Abit old, thought I'd follow up abit.. I did the same, request from TM and they refused saying IPv6 subnets are auto-assigned. Only business accounts can request a larger prefix.

Btw, I'm also currently experimenting this. My laptop now is on v6-only and using my VPS I configured as a DNS64+NAT64 relay. All seems to work however there are certain IPv4-only websites(twitter.com, github.com) that resolve but can't load due to some hard-coded IPv4 address(es) on their end and some IPv4-only website(s) do load per-normal.

Edit: twitter.com and discord.com website and app now works. Even going to ipv4.google.com works. Problem was due to MTU setting. On the VPS I had to clamp MSS to 1440.

Discord voice call or any other voice calling app might/might not work in this setup due to IPv4 literals being hard coded into the app. nat464xlat fixes this but thats another topic altogether :>

This post has been edited by rogue: Jan 19 2023, 03:53 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:32 AM