Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tint Suggestion: 3M or Huper Optik, Value for money heat rejection tint

Which tint has better value for money for heat rejection?

3M Crystalline [ 170 ] ** [63.20%]
Huper Optik Ceramic [ 99 ] ** [36.80%]
Total Votes: 269
Guests cannot vote 
views

SportyHandling
post Mar 25 2018, 04:56 PM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(RisingTide @ Mar 16 2018, 06:10 PM)
I've narrowed down my search for tints for my car down to 2 brands;
3M and Huper Optik are my preferred choices; however 3M is roughly 30% more expensive than Huper Optik, and has better heat rejection than Huper Optik; about 6-8% better;

My main preference is towards better heat rejection and lower performance degradation over time;
GPS and Smartag compatible;
JPJ approved;

3M Configuration:
Front Windshield: Crystalline 70
Front Side Door: Crystalline 50
Rear Side Door: Crystalline 50
Rear Windshield: Crystalline 50

Huper Optik Configuration:
Front Windshield: Ceramic 70
Front Side Door: Ceramic 50
Rear Side Door: Ceramic 50
Rear Windshield: Ceramic 50

Which one do you think is more value for money in terms of heat rejection?
Would it be worth it to fork out and go all out for the 3M?
Or Huper Optik would be sufficient enough?

Or.. any sifu here could recommend a different brand with comparable performance and at a much lower price?
My car was tinted with Huper Optik on the following combination 5 years ago:-
Front Windshield: Sech 60 (slightly better performance than Ceramic 70)
Front Side Door: Ceramic 40 (C40)
Rear Side Door: Ceramic 40 (C40)
Rear Windshield: Ceramic 40 (C40)

I find the car to be still quite hot when under the hot sun even with C40. Hence, if you go with C50 your car will surely be a lot hotter. Personally I don't recommend C50 for all side and rear windscreens. You won't get into trouble with C40 even though the VLT is slightly below 50% VLT as the shade is still not too dark. As a matter of fact, with the latest JPJ regulations, I would recommend that you go with C30 with the rear sides and rear windscreens as C40 also is not really that cool. C30's VLT should be around 30% so it should be borderline acceptable. Although the C30's tint is rather dark in shade, you can still see what's inside the car unlike some other tints whereby you cannot see through at all.

This post has been edited by SportyHandling: Mar 25 2018, 04:57 PM
SportyHandling
post Mar 25 2018, 04:59 PM

Casual
419 posts

Forgot to mention that the price range for the Huper Optik tint (5 years ago) was RM1,500 to RM1,600. I paid RM1,700 as I didn't go directly to the installer but went through the sales advisor whom I bought the new car from who took some commission from the tint installation.
SportyHandling
post Mar 26 2018, 11:06 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(WannaGetBuffed @ Mar 26 2018, 09:35 AM)
Pretty obvious your sales advisor is not that honest. Probably some chapalang house brand and told u it was HO
Only go to direct to installer as advertised in the website.
It's authentic Huper Optik tint as there as the documents and certificate are from Smart Windows which is the distributor for Huper Optik film. The direct installers listed on the Smart Windows(Huper Optik) website do not charge the same rates. I have called up few dealers previously (5 years ago) and the prices are all different. One dealer charged RM1,500 while another dealer can charge RM2,600. The difference was that big. It may sound weird but that's the true scenario at that time. I'm not sure if the dealers now charge at a uniform rate or the prices are still different between the outlets.
SportyHandling
post Mar 26 2018, 11:08 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(RisingTide @ Mar 26 2018, 12:54 AM)
You're right; In fact I just got my car tinted yesterday, C70 front and C40 side/rear; I saw C50 and was surprised that it was quite lightly tinted; hence I went for the C40, which turned out to be a slight shade darker than C50 and quite hard to differentiate in normal conditions.

Although, I did notice that my front windscreen C70 does make my front view looked a bit hazy, like there is a slight oil smear on your glasses, it makes the entire view looked a bit foggy and hazy; did you experience this with your SECH60?
I tinted mine for RM1,800 flat; including removal, installation and GST; workmanship was top notch; just the slight hazy front view is quite irritating, planning to follow-up with the installer next weekend.
I have forgotten if the Sech60 on the front windscreen looked hazy on the first or 2nd day after installation. As mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be the case. Perhaps wait for 2 to 3 days or maybe up to week for the tint to completely dry up. If it still doesn't look clear, then the tint or workmanship is not good and they would need to redo for you.
SportyHandling
post Mar 28 2018, 07:17 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(jchong @ Mar 26 2018, 06:09 PM)
I believe still the same nowadays for all brands. It's not a uniform price and it will vary by outlet. So still need to shop around to compare.
Yes that is true. However, I was shocked that the price difference can be more than RM1k for the same tint combination. A hundred ringgit or few hundred ringgit of difference would still be acceptable but more than RM1,000 difference is a bit weird.
SportyHandling
post Apr 3 2018, 07:46 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(NyOx @ Apr 1 2018, 11:19 PM)
i been us HO since 2013. still feel good with this brand. it also high heat rejection. so far no issues with GPS and Smart tag
Which Huper Optik combination are you on? With my vehicle, the Huper Optik tint is just mediocre in terms of heat rejection. Not exactly outstanding. Mine is Sech60 for front windscreen and C40 for all other windscreens (sides and rear). The V-Kool Elite tint on my previous car feels a lot cooler (better heat rejection) than the Huper Optik tint.

There are only two advantages with the Huper Optik tint which is the price (as it's considerably cheaper than V-Kool Elite) and GPS signal friendly. The Huper Optik is about RM1,000+/- cheaper than the V-kool tint. There are no issues with getting a GPS signal inside the car with Huper Optik whereas with the V-Kool Elite, 50% of the time I cannot get a GPS signal inside the car. To me this is the deal-breaker of the V-kool Elite despite its excellent heat rejection properties when compared to other competitors.
SportyHandling
post Apr 20 2018, 08:01 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Apr 14 2018, 10:04 PM)
I have llumar in my 12 year old car. Puspakom legal. My new car with HO is not legal, SECH60 and their 40 VLT ting all round. Llumar is cooler than HO.

Driving in both car, when the sun shines on my face from the driver side window, I can feel the sting in my face with HO. Never felt any sting with Llumar.

That being said my HO installer was VERY professional. Authorized dealer in Puchong. 5 star for service. My experience with Llumar HQ in Chan Sow Lin was shit (re-tint my FWS cause broken). Their workmanship was shit, attitude was also shit.

I’d probably won’t use HO next round. Maybe try 3M.

Same experience here as well. Same tint Sech60 with front windescreen and C40 with all other windscreens, sides and rear. In my mind the V-kool Elite on my previous car is much cooler than this Huper Optik combination on my current car.

I'll likely not use Huper Optik again if I were getting a new car even though price-wise they are competitive (RM1.5k to 1.6k). Will just need to find alternatives that give better heat rejection that the Sech60/C40 at almost similar VLT. The V-Kool Elite is surely good but the price is close to RM2.5k if not more if i"m not mistaken, which is about RM1k more expensive than the Huper Optik.
SportyHandling
post Apr 20 2018, 08:05 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(wyshin88 @ Apr 18 2018, 11:42 AM)
For forumer sake, I need to update on my situation above.

After 1 week of usage on HO C70 tint which failed at Smart Tag lanes 90% of the time (even after changing to new Energizer batteries). I can't take it anymore and I returned to the installer, who is also as puzzled as me how come HO Ceramic Tint main selling point is for its Smart Tag/electronic friendly characteristic compared to metallic based tint such as VKool. To be fair, only Smart Tag signal was blocked, autogate/condo RFID boom gate/ Phone GPS all works fine.

I took out the HO tint after 1 week usage, though my heart ache like mad as the tint was done perfectly with good workmanship and I got use to the color hue, but had to take it out due to the inconveniences of having to wind down my car window every time I pass the toll. I went back to the installer and claim warranty, they took out the tint, and I top up money to install VKool Elite, as I don't want to take any more chances with HO tint anymore.

VKool works fine with Smart Tag now, but autogate/condo RFID signal got blocked. Well, there is no perfect world I guess. Still like the color hue of VKool, greenish, very pleasing to the eyes.
Sorry to hear about your situation but at least you have made up your mind and proceeded with the action. Good to hear it's all settled now and you can put the case to rest.

Same experience with the greenish hue with Vkool Elite which is more pleasing to the eye when compared to the brownish hue of the Huper Optik Sech60 in my case. I also did not have problems with Smart Tag when on Vkool Elite. My only problem with Vkool Elite is with GPS. Can you try enabling your Drive navigation app on your smartphone and see if it works inside the car? I cannot get a GPS signal inside the car with Vkool Elite previously, 50% of the time. Even though a signal is locked, the navigation on the Drive app will stop working after several minutes as it will give a message "Signal Lost", or "Searching for Signal", something like that.
SportyHandling
post Apr 20 2018, 10:24 PM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(wyshin88 @ Apr 20 2018, 09:31 AM)
With the installation of VKool Elite on my front wind screen, now my entire car is with VKool Elite (the side windows and back windscreen was installed with VKool Elite since 8 years ago). I can confirmed that Drive Navigation App (I only use Google Map) works inside my car. I do not  use Garmin GPS device or similar. My brother tinted his entire Vellfire with Vkool Elite recently told me the GPS in his Garmin works as well. The only downside is autogate remote signal is slow, sometimes blocked completely. RFID card remote with boom gate (in Gated and Guarded) also got blocked completely.
It is good to hear that the Drive navigation app is able to work inside the car with Vkool Elite all round. I'm not sure on the Vkool tint that was on the side and rear windscreens as I didn't really bother to find out at that time (installed on my previous car 10 years ago). Vkool Elite's VLT is rather high, 70% VLT if I'm not mistaken as it is meant for the front windscreen. I'm not sure if there are other Vkool tints that are in lower VLT so that the heat rejection (TSER) is higher which can be used for the sides and rear windscreens. The side rear and rear windscreens can go up to 30% VLT so it's pretty dark behind there.

Yes, I too recall a slow response of the autogate remote. It works but you would have to press more than once, and you can't press it too soon before your car reaches the gate. I usually press the remote 2 to 3 houses away and the gate will still open, though it's the Huper Optik tint. As for the access card through the boom gate, it's good that the system is remote and you don't have wind down the windscreen but too bad you need to do so to pass through the boom gate. Our system here is not remote so everyone has to wind down the windscreen and swipe the access card on the sensor pad to go through the boom gate.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0454sec    0.34    9 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:11 AM