Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Edifier R1280DB Speaker Review, Successor of R1280T Bookshelf Speaker

views

TSasunakirito
post Mar 14 2018, 10:59 PM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,068 posts

Author's Note: The original review is found at tech.ayumilove.net, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews!

Hi guys! Today I'll be reviewing the Edifier R1280DB Bookshelf speaker. It's the successor of the Edifier R1280T. What are the differences between these 2 speakers? The Edifier R1280DB offers more audio input variety which includes Bluetooth, Optical, and Coaxial Connection and a redesigned remote with new features! In addition, it comes in 2 color choices: black and brown. The review model I have with me now is the black model.

user posted image

Features
1. Active bookshelf speaker system with 42W total power output.
2. Supports Bluetooth (V4.0), Optical (24bit/48KHz), Coaxial (24bit/48KHz) and Dual RCA inputs.
3. Bass, treble and master volume dials located on the side panel
4. Wireless remote control for volume adjustment and mute
5. Calibrated, flared front-facing bass reflect port
6. 100% MDF wooden enclosures to minimize acoustic resonance
7. Universal 100V-240V power supply.

Specifications
1. Total Power Output: R/L: 21W+21W
2. RMS Signal To Noise Ratio: ≥85dBA (A)
3. Noise Level: ≤25dB (A)
4. Input Sensitivity Line In #1: R/L:450±50mV
5. Input Sensitivity Line In #2: R/L:550±50mV
6. Input Sensitivity OPT/COA: R/L:500±50mFFS
7. Input Sensitivity Bluetooth: R/L:700±50mFFS
8. Frequency Response: 55Hz-20KHz
9. Bass Unit: 4 inch (116mm)
10. Tweeter Unit: Φ13mm silk dome tweeter
11. Dimension: 5.75in x 9.5in x 7in (WxHxD)

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Mar 15 2018, 10:29 PM
TSasunakirito
post Mar 14 2018, 10:59 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

Packaging

Packaging-1: Here is the top of the box. It lists the contents of the box which has been posted in this article. It also shows the Edifier R1280DB speaker with the remote control beside it for size comparison.
user posted image

Packaging-2: The front of the box shows the brown model of the Edifier R 1280DB. I prefer the black model since the color is consistent all around rather than having mix of brown and gray. The top icon shows 42 watts R.M.S, Bluetooth 4.0, Optical Input, Coaxial, RCA input supported and 100~240V Switching Power Supply. Fiber Optic cable included, so no need to purchase separately.
user posted image

Packaging-3: The rear of the box describes the specifications of the speaker which has been posted in the article above.
user posted image

Packaging-4: On the right side of the box, it lists the Edifier R1280DB features and SPL vs Frequency range for treble and bass set at min, balance and max.
user posted image

Accessories: Here is the list of items from the box: 1 x Passive Speaker, 1 x Active Speaker, 1 x Remote Control, 1 x Speaker Connecting Cable (2.5m / 8.2ft), 1 x 3.5mm to dual RCA audio cable (1.7m / 5.5 ft), 1 x Dual RCA to Dual RCA audio cable (1.7m / 5.5 ft), 1 x Fiber optical connecting cable (1.5m / 5 ft), 1 x User Manual. This speaker review unit does not come with a remote control, therefore, I'm not able to show this component of the Edifier R1280DB.
user posted image
TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

Design

Design-1: Here is a closer look of both the active and passive bookshelf speaker with the plastic cloth cover.
user posted image

Design-2: Here is another closer look of both the active and passive bookshelf speaker without the plastic cloth cover. The active speaker has the extra plastic that allows receiving the signal from the remote control. There are 4 mini holes on the front of the speaker which holds the speaker cover.
user posted image

Design-3: The speaker cover is made of cloth and hard plastic structure. I would prefer the center is all cloth to reduce the obstruction of audio from the speaker driver.
user posted image

Design-4: Looking at the rear of the bookshelf speaker, the active speaker has all the interfaces of the audio inputs ranging from RCA/AUX, Coaxial Input, Digital Input and a Switch to turn the speaker on/off.
user posted image

Design-5: The top of the speaker is just plain black which I lvoe, and on the bottom are 4 anti-slip pads. I would prefer if they were slightly thicker. These types of pads can easily be removed after a few months as its being glued together.
user posted image

Design-6: Here are the controls of the Edifier R1280DB. Starting from top to bottom: treble dial, bass dial and master volume dial. Pressing on the master volume control allows user to switch speaker mode (Red = Optical OR Coaxial Inputs / Blue = Bluetooth input / Green = Line 1 OR Line 2 inputs). Press to navigate between audio sources: LINE 1 → LINE 2 → Optical → Coaxial → Bluetooth.
user posted image

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Mar 14 2018, 11:58 PM
TSasunakirito

Regular
1,068 posts

Verdict

Pros
1. Small bookshelf speaker size makes it easy to place on desk with limited space.
2. Produces excellent highs and mids.
3. Easy to access volume and switch audio inputs modes by the side of the speaker.
4. Remote control can play/pause/skip track for Bluetooth mode.
5. Value for money.
6. Provides many audio inputs to allow multiple devices to be connected simultaneously (e.g. TV Box, Play Station 4, Home-Theater PC, etc)
7. Solid build quality with MDF wooden enclousures.

Cons
1. Slight crackling sound can be heard when the tweeter volume is maxed when playing high pitch music.

Mediocre
1. Color choice for the brown color model doesn't suit well compare to the black one.
2. Bass not prominent at balance mode. Need to set max bass volume to hear decent bass output.
3. Plastic cover is thick with plastic structure which obstructs user from getting the best listening experiences from the bookshelf speaker.

Expectations
I would recommend to have the bass reflex port positioned to the rear as its quite annoying to have stream of wind blowing towards the user when the speaker cover is removed. The wind can be felt quite strong within an arm's length. For the brown choice color, I would recommend to have it all around brown instead of having just the sides brown and the center grayed.
TSasunakirito
post Mar 14 2018, 11:00 PM

Regular
1,068 posts

Edifier R1280DB Speaker Video

Edifier R1280DB Speaker Sound Test (Instrumental, Vocal, Techno, Bass)

Edifier R1280DB Speaker Sound Test (Instrumental, Vocal, Techno, Bass)

TSasunakirito
post Mar 15 2018, 12:04 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

Edifier R1280DB is available for purchase online

11street MY (click here!)
user posted image

Lazada MY (click here!)
user posted image

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Mar 27 2018, 09:22 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSasunakirito
post Sep 9 2018, 11:14 AM

Regular
1,068 posts

Shopee 9.9 Sales (09/09/2018) is currently running for today only with limited stock for Edifier R1280DB (RM291 - RM43.65 = RM247.35)
https://shopee.com.my/Edifier-R1280DB-High-...6076.1241924819

user posted image

This post has been edited by asunakirito: Sep 9 2018, 11:22 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:50 PM