Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Annihilation, It's streaming on Netflix now!

views

TS6so
post Mar 12 2018, 07:47 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
121 posts

Calling it...one of the best movie you can watch right now. Think people are over exaggerating that it's too smart or esoteric to understand.

On the surface it echoes a little of Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker. It's not as Avant Garde as the classic and way less metaphorical about the themes in the story. It's pretty straightforward to follow with not that many hidden subtext or abstract visual cues to decipher.

Broadly it's a sci-fi horror but enough thoughtful scenarios to make it a somewhat original experience to watch. A meteorite crash site emitting an expanding extra terrestrial contamination. In it everything being mutated on a molecular level. So the expedition team figuring out what's cooking inside but it veers into some existential cross examination.

The nightmare bear sequence pretty creepy especially with what it sounds like. The climatic sequence in the lighthouse very trippy and really didn't see it coming. On top of that the sound design and music here very well done.

Overall its a worthy follow-up to Exmachina. Will be glad to watch anything Alex Garland doing next.
ray148
post Mar 12 2018, 11:42 PM

Casual
445 posts

It's.....ok I guess. Love everything about it until the last 15 minutes where the movie turns into a badly performed stage play.
McF7y
post Mar 13 2018, 08:33 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(ray148 @ Mar 12 2018, 11:42 PM)
It's.....ok I guess. Love everything about it until the last 15 minutes where the movie turns into a badly performed stage play.
Care to elaborate on the stage play bit? What do you mean exactly? Without going into spoilers if possible blush.gif
TS6so
post Mar 13 2018, 10:48 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

Straight from the horse's mouth....

Spoiler ahead.

Just found out one of the Portishead member worked on the soundtrack. With Johann Johannsson passing at least there is another to fill up that void.

yongtan
post Mar 13 2018, 10:54 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

I like the Twilight Zone feel of the movie and the twist at the end. Not your typical alien/action movies where things explode. A nice change after all the super heroes beat-em-ups.
ray148
post Mar 13 2018, 11:28 AM

Casual
445 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Mar 13 2018, 08:33 AM)
Care to elaborate on the stage play bit? What do you mean exactly? Without going into spoilers if possible  blush.gif
The movie tried to umm...tell a story through movements without any dialogue.

Let just say it doesn't work for me because it seems like they just want to over-complicate what really is a simple storytelling.
I do like that the movie plays around with alot of parallel and imagery though:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

McF7y
post Mar 13 2018, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(ray148 @ Mar 13 2018, 11:28 AM)
The movie tried to umm...tell a story through movements without any dialogue.

Let just say it doesn't work for me because it seems like they just want to over-complicate what really is a simple storytelling.
I do like that the movie plays around with alot of parallel and imagery though:

Wow OK. Looks like there's more than meets the eye for this movie. Definitely worth a watch!
TS6so
post Mar 13 2018, 12:22 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Mar 13 2018, 12:53 PM)
Wow OK. Looks like there's more than meets the eye for this movie. Definitely worth a watch!
While I disagree with what ray148 theorised, it's best you watch and decide for yourself. Anyhow it's not "punching the alien in the face" type of movie.
AVFAN
post Mar 13 2018, 06:19 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

i watched this movie last night.

thumbsup.gif

refreshing, visually stimulating.

far cry for the usual alien, independence day(s), arrival flicks.

i hope they make more of such movies!

TS6so
post Mar 13 2018, 08:14 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Has been thinking a bit, so here are a list of things you may have missed.

Visual cues-

The big idea.
With cancer being mentioned multiple times so let's assume the movie is an allegory to that sickness. Ventress gave the speech of we are inherently self-destructive creatures. Whether for obvious reasons or inadvertently just like cancer. Then comes the existential question of do you embrace or surrender to it. In the Shimmer every mutations have that duality nature to it. Beautiful and yet nightmarish. Reinvention versus annihilation.

defaultname365
post Mar 14 2018, 01:46 AM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
1,097 posts

Didn't realize this was out thanks to Netflix! With the rise of films being available on Netflix, the film will be 'available' in digital format a lot sooner. Will definitely be checking this out soon. Absolutely love Alex Garland's works.
TS6so
post Mar 14 2018, 09:19 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

News broke that Alex Garland doing an FX TV show. A murder mystery, silicon valley and quantum computer. No release date yet.
elm0001
post Mar 14 2018, 09:29 AM

I'm Tyrion Lannister's whore
943 posts

amazing movie. Natalie Portman was amazing as usual, but Gina Rodriguez was the MVP of the movie
McF7y
post Mar 14 2018, 09:56 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(6so @ Mar 13 2018, 12:22 PM)
While I disagree with what ray148 theorised, it's best you watch and decide for yourself. Anyhow it's not "punching the alien in the face" type of movie.
Watched it last night. One thing for sure is I personally don't think it's a movie for everyone; maybe an acquired taste? On my end though, I enjoyed it's slow pace and dialogue. A good and engaging dialogue is what's missing in today's movies - Richard Linklater was a master at it.

Refreshing take on the alien genre for sure. I did not mind so much the stage-play portion toward the end of the film

But for me at least, I think it will take me another viewing due to the multiple layers hidden that were not evident at first viewing - only realised some in hindsight.

Netflix is churning out some really good stuff!
Chrono-Trigger
post Mar 15 2018, 08:48 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,803 posts

looks gooding. will watch later
Guillory
post Mar 15 2018, 11:16 AM

5 posts

A mind fucuking movie about science.

#phosphorusgrenade

Is all we need tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Guillory: Mar 15 2018, 11:54 AM
greyshadow
post Mar 15 2018, 12:12 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

again, single point of failure as dues ex machina doh.gif

haiz... it's refreshing, but I'm just wishing they stop going for the type of win for most alien movies

luckykid5
post Mar 15 2018, 06:12 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

actually the ending as described in wikipedia (which i also have the same thought) is this.

GravityFi3ld
post Mar 30 2018, 03:02 PM

Nick Fury's Night Fury
820 posts

I did enjoy this film, but would've definitely loved it if they did a mini-series to explore the flora and fauna in the shimmer.
jelly.fish
post Apr 9 2018, 10:52 PM

1 posts

This film is meant to be 'savored' slowly. So no complains on the deliberate pacing.

I thought the lighthouse scene was the creepiest of them all. Not to mention the haunting and weird sounding score.

Gives me the chills this one...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:41 PM