Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

UPU application with 3.25 cgpa STPM. HELP

views

TShoneybee33
post Mar 12 2018, 03:18 PM, updated 7y ago

0 posts

Hi guys, i am a 2017 STPM student with a 3.25 cgpa from arts stream (yes its low i got 1 A-, 2 B, 1 B+)
Im applying for upu and im wondering if my choices are too ambitious this is what im applying for

UPSI : TESL/Sejarah
UKM: Law (but idts i'll get so maybe sejarah/english)
Um : English Literature
USM: literature/english literature
Um: sejarah
Um : linguistics
Um : anthropologi

im very down now bcs i feel i scored too low to get any of my choices :/ does anyone have any tips? On what to do and how to fill up the form? I dont even want to apply and everyone says i should apply scholarship but i wont get la i mean cmon.

Ps : my mum doesnt want me to take buisness/economics courses and also doesnt want me to go to any "okay ipta like ums/upm/ umt//unimas" as she puts it but i dont mind tbh. I feel like i have a good chance there so this is why i have only filled 9/12 spots in upu.
My A- was for sejarah btw.
MiLKTea
post Mar 12 2018, 05:59 PM

Enthusiast
942 posts

Tbh i think your cgpa is pretty good.
What is your area of interest?
Choose a course and uni according to your preference.
Not your mom's.

Side track:
what's the problem with ums upm umt unimas?
Ums has the most beautiful campus i ever seen.
Got mountain got sea. Fengshui bagus.
gonfeeces
post Mar 12 2018, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

why sejarah?
ahter
post Mar 12 2018, 06:53 PM

Getting Started
250 posts

TESL / England la ..
TShoneybee33
post Mar 12 2018, 07:03 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(MiLKTea @ Mar 12 2018, 05:59 PM)
Tbh i think your cgpa is pretty good.
What is your area of interest?
Choose a course and uni according to your preference.
Not your mom's.

Side track:
what's the problem with ums upm umt unimas?
Ums has the most beautiful campus i ever seen.
Got mountain got sea. Fengshui bagus.
Thank you! my areas of interest are teaching, history but mostly language orientated and economics but idk if economics can get job i heard its hard to.
Ya i wish i could but its hard to convince her i dont want to upset my parents and pick smth they hate hmm

Side track : nothing is wrong with them, atleast not to me but my mum doesnt approve idk why she says its too far away from home and such which makes things so much harder tbh so im stuck now i like alot of what im offered but bcs of dissapproval i cant fill all 12 upu choices.

Ps : do u think a marketing degree is worth it?
TShoneybee33
post Mar 12 2018, 07:05 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(gonfeeces @ Mar 12 2018, 06:31 PM)
why sejarah?
i love history haha and i wanted to take chinese studies bcs i love learning about the dynasties and ancient china but i cant bcs i didnt take chinese lol.
I know it will lead me to teaching too but i really am running out of "approved choices"
TShoneybee33
post Mar 12 2018, 07:05 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(ahter @ Mar 12 2018, 06:53 PM)
TESL / England la ..
no money la bro have to do locally haha
MiLKTea
post Mar 12 2018, 07:36 PM

Enthusiast
942 posts

QUOTE(honeybee33 @ Mar 12 2018, 07:03 PM)
Thank you! my areas of interest are teaching, history but mostly language orientated and economics but idk if economics can get job i heard its hard to.
Ya i wish i could but its hard to convince her i dont want to upset my parents and pick smth they hate hmm

Side track : nothing is wrong with them, atleast not to me but my mum doesnt approve idk why she says its too far away from home and such which makes things so much harder tbh so im stuck now i like alot of what im offered but bcs of dissapproval i cant fill all 12 upu choices.

Ps : do u think a marketing degree is worth it?
Take whatever course that interests you.
Since you like teaching, maybe can consider lecturer as your future career path too.
Marketing is good too, if you are good with languages and public relations.

It's one thing to listen to parents, it's another thing when it comes to your future.
Do you want to go through your uni feeling miserable just to please your parents, which later might also result you having a miserable job you never enjoy?
YoungMan
post Mar 12 2018, 07:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,391 posts

Your CGPA is above 3.0, which is quite good especially for those subjects you picked. However Law degree might require slightly higher CGPA I think, especially for UM. And your choices of UM/USM/UKM is fine. If you want to take English studies/literature or TESL, make sure MUET must at least band 4.

I would like to reiterate again, take the course that you feel like doing, do not force yourself into courses that you do not like.
hirano
post Mar 12 2018, 10:21 PM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

Going for "Sejarah" course limits your career even much more than Ecnomics.

My choice would be Econs > TESL > anything else in your list.

Regarding uni choices, go wherever you want. Your mum doesn't want you to go to faraway places? Oh for fak's sake... If you consider yourself an adult, just apply anywhere. I was 750km away from home (for years) and no issue about it.
thisgirlspeaks
post Mar 12 2018, 10:42 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(honeybee33 @ Mar 12 2018, 03:18 PM)
Hi guys, i am a 2017 STPM student with a 3.25 cgpa from arts stream (yes its low i got 1 A-, 2 B, 1 B+)
Im applying for upu and im wondering if my choices are too ambitious this is what im applying for

im very down now bcs i feel i scored too low to get any of my choices :/ does anyone have any tips? On what to do and how to fill up the form? I dont even want to apply and everyone says i should apply scholarship but i wont get la i mean cmon.

Ps : my mum doesnt want me to take buisness/economics courses and also doesnt want me to go to any "okay ipta like ums/upm/ umt//unimas" as she puts it but i dont mind tbh. I feel like i have a good chance there so this is why i have only filled 9/12 spots in upu.
My A- was for sejarah btw.
Hiii. I'm also a fellow 2017 STPM candidate.. Nice to meet you! And.. You think you scored low? I only got CGPA 3.17 le.. But I'm from science stream tho. (got 2B+ and 2B but I'm already satisfied with my results, so yeah.) And worst of all - i don't even get to switch to arts stream (I wanted to switch to arts and take up english.. but oh well.)

IF you take sejarah, I think you can become a historian? But i imagine working at museums tho.. maybe you do some further research online. Have you submitted your UPU application yet? I haven't submitted mine though. Btw, you don't have to fill in all 12 choices. And it is suggested you fill in your top pick and uni. And if you wanna get scholarship, you can enter uni first, work hard for sem 1, and apply for JPA scholarship. That's what my sister's friends did in uni and eventually they got it.

And it is suggested not to go to UMS and UNIMAS because the education quality isn't as good. My sister was a CGPA 4.00 (she was a science student) and was offered Sabah - it was her last option out of the 12. (it was food science and nutrition). If you were to put UMS or UNIMAS, there's a high chance that they might skip all of your previous options and just send you there without giving it any second thoughts (like what happened with my sister - who had rayuan previously but failed in the end.)

UPM is fine. But UMT.. UMT is in terengganu wor. If you can tahan, should be fine. But, UMS has a very nice environment and campus, like someone from an earlier reply said (I've been there - and it's cool.) Buildings are a bit old but at least you get to travel and explore the islands and towns nearby, go diving etc etc and KK town isn't bad either. But my sister, who has been there, told me to avoid UMS at all cost due to education quality. But depends on people lah. You wanna go there, just go.

Btw, congrats on your STPM results and wish you all the best. wink.gif

OnePiece999
post Mar 12 2018, 11:54 PM

Casual
398 posts

Choosing the right career is very hard, jobs security may be an obsolete idea, unless you are willing to go for government job (government job may also not guarantee any job security too). But my advice to you is you need at least master degree to be a government servant, degree is not enough at all, to be a secondary school teacher, need master degree; if you want to be lecturer, you will need phd, treat the higher education as an long term investment, you don't want to regret later in your life if you choose a wrong path, because you loss money, time, and opportunity too(you will see your peer doing better than you, especially those never go to school one, they start having a stable family while you just finish your study, it is very emotional moment). So please think carefully before you decide to further study. (I have many friends go to study and ended up doing very different careers than what they study, it is why I am very worrying about higher education.)

To me higher education, choose it depend on your field of interest, at least you will enjoy the study, you may end up not doing the career related to that you study after graduate, but it is your choice.

I myself didn't do what I study after graduate, the working environment and studying environment is very difference, also my career cannot pay me enough of money for the job, that is why I change my career. I believe people go to higher education in hope of making more money, but it will usually leave them disappointed.

P/S : you may not believe what I told you, because I know it well, the last time I go for higher education, some old folk told me the same advice, but I didn't take it seriously, because I was so naive and not knowing how this world work, but now I start to feel it that what they told me is something very important, and shouldn't be ignore, this sound like a very discouraging advice but you need to face it, because it is your future, you decide it yourself so you need to take responsible of yourself.

Based on your choice of study, I can assume you have no idea what you want to study, because all your choice are so random, it is like you are giving the your career a chance to gambling on you. So your mum don't want you to study certain subject, may be it is because you want to choose it but your mum stop you to do so, so what are in your mind? I dunno, please be honest to yourself. If you want to study Econ/business just choose it, and fill in the form Econ/business for pick 1 until pick 12, and each pick for different university, this way you are gambling on university instead of gambling on field of study, which is what I want you to know choose the career that you like, not choose the uni that you like, you study for career not study for uni.

If you are male that go for higher education, it is acceptable, because it is your job to be bread winner no?
But if you are female that go for higher education, my experience tell me, female graduate from uni usually choose to get married after the uni and become house wife, it is a completely waste of time to study uni for them, because they waste the time in uni rather than spend quality time with family. Also those study in private uni is the worst, they are high in debt after graduate, and they are completely clueless of what to do after graduate. This is not funny, they are screwed in life just because of education. They are getting so old and most of their peers already have happy family at late 20, and those graduate only begun to wondering what’s wrong with their life.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by OnePiece999: Mar 13 2018, 02:43 AM
MiLKTea
post Mar 13 2018, 12:07 AM

Enthusiast
942 posts

QUOTE(thisgirlspeaks @ Mar 12 2018, 10:42 PM)
Hiii. I'm also a fellow 2017 STPM candidate.. Nice to meet you! And.. You think you scored low? I only got CGPA 3.17 le.. But I'm from science stream tho. (got 2B+ and 2B but I'm already satisfied with my results, so yeah.) And worst of all - i don't even get to switch to arts stream (I wanted to switch to arts and take up english.. but oh well.)

IF you take sejarah, I think you can become a historian? But i imagine working at museums tho.. maybe you do some further research online. Have you submitted your UPU application yet? I haven't submitted mine though. Btw, you don't have to fill in all 12 choices. And it is suggested you fill in your top pick and uni. And if you wanna get scholarship, you can enter uni first, work hard for sem 1, and apply for JPA scholarship. That's what my sister's friends did in uni and eventually they got it.

And it is suggested not to go to UMS and UNIMAS because the education quality isn't as good. My sister was a CGPA 4.00 (she was a science student) and was offered Sabah - it was her last option out of the 12. (it was food science and nutrition). If you were to put UMS or UNIMAS, there's a high chance that they might skip all of your previous options and just send you there without giving it any second thoughts (like what happened with my sister - who had rayuan previously but failed in the end.)

UPM is fine. But UMT.. UMT is in terengganu wor. If you can tahan, should be fine. But, UMS has a very nice environment and campus, like someone from an earlier reply said (I've been there - and it's cool.) Buildings are a bit old but at least you get to travel and explore the islands and towns nearby, go diving etc etc and KK town isn't bad either. But my sister, who has been there, told me to avoid UMS at all cost due to education quality. But depends on people lah. You wanna go there, just go.

Wow....ur judgement on UMS having bad quality education is really shallow.
Just based on your sister's feedback alone?
Did it not occur to you that your sister paint so much negativity on UMS was due to that she couldn't get what she wanted and that her rayuan rejected?

This post has been edited by MiLKTea: Mar 13 2018, 12:08 AM
TShoneybee33
post Mar 13 2018, 09:13 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(MiLKTea @ Mar 12 2018, 07:36 PM)
Take whatever course that interests you.
Since you like teaching, maybe can consider lecturer as your future career path too.
Marketing is good too, if you are good with languages and public relations.

It's one thing to listen to parents, it's another thing when it comes to your future.
Do you want to go through your uni feeling miserable just to please your parents, which later might also result you having a miserable job you never enjoy?
ya i was considering it too! And about marketing i enjoy meeting people but the only one that offers if that i found is UMT hmn
Well no i dont , i want to he happy with my job and i dont want to do law very much either i like history more even if its a "limited job degree"
TShoneybee33
post Mar 13 2018, 09:16 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(hirano @ Mar 12 2018, 10:21 PM)
Going for "Sejarah" course limits your career even much more than Ecnomics.

My choice would be Econs > TESL > anything else in your list.

Regarding uni choices, go wherever you want. Your mum doesn't want you to go to faraway places? Oh for fak's sake... If you consider yourself an adult, just apply anywhere. I was 750km away from home (for years) and no issue about it.
But i know people with an economics degree who tell me its super hard to get a job?? and i feel tesl has a wider scope like i know many tesl grads working for good private companies even if not as a teacher.

HAHA well yes i am an adult but i have asthma so my mum iw worried la if i have an attack what am i gonna do like i can look after myself but she'll have a calmer mind then

SUSNew Klang
post Mar 13 2018, 09:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

Choose the course that is most practical and easy to find a job. Once you are independent financially, then go for the master degree if you still have the same passion for your present choice.
TShoneybee33
post Mar 13 2018, 09:22 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(thisgirlspeaks @ Mar 12 2018, 10:42 PM)

Hello there!! Congrats on your results tho i mean science stream is hard af. And ya i'll probably end up being a historian hahaha but i enjoy the subject very much so ahhh. I havent submitted my final application yet bcs im still doing research on it and what courses are u applying for if u dont mind me asking haha.

On scholarship, i had no idea u could do that tbh but thanks for the insight! and ya abt ums thats also what my mum keeps stressing on but i have many seniors who end up there and in unimas too so im like?? but probably bcs they just put everyone there (the nons) . Also, i probs wont fill up all 12 courses bcs what if they give me my last choice but i dont really like it and so its worrying atleast now my 9 choices are what i like huhu.

Goodluck with ur future ya!
cdspins
post Mar 13 2018, 09:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

Choose some subjects you like, if it is hard to apply in well-known university, others will do as well... University degree is just a piece of paper, it is just a windows to open up your eyes...

A lot of us is not working in the field we study, but a degree opens up our perspective. Besides, it is also possible to switch courses once you are enroll in the university. It is also possible to further study into the field you like doing master or phd once you get your degree. Local university provides a relatively cheap platform to get a tertiary education. From there you can travel further.

I always remember in my Uni (UPM), one thing I gain most from my lecturer is that we should go and find our own answer / path... what the lecturer teaches is just a tip of the ice berg to get you interested, it is just surface knowledge. If you want more, you can google and research yourself. It is like a platform where you are introduce to everything and you yourself choose what you like best and dwell in it more

Don't get disappointed if you didn't get your chosen Uni or subjects... University is just a doorway for you to open up endless possibilities... if all depends on yourself what you want and how eager you want it
TShoneybee33
post Mar 13 2018, 09:49 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(OnePiece999 @ Mar 12 2018, 11:54 PM)
Choosing the right career is very hard, jobs security may be an obsolete idea, unless you are willing to go for government job (government job may also not guarantee any job security too). But my advice to you is you need at least master degree to be a government servant, degree is not enough at all, to be a secondary school teacher, need master degree; if you want to be lecturer, you will need phd, treat the higher education as an long term investment, you don't want to regret later in your life if you choose a wrong path, because you loss money, time, and opportunity too(you will see your peer doing better than you, especially those never go to school one, they start having a stable family while you just finish your study, it is very emotional moment). So please think carefully before you decide to further study. (I have many friends go to study and ended up doing very different careers than what they study, it is why I am very worrying about higher education.)

To me higher education, choose it depend on your field of interest, at least you will enjoy the study, you may end up not doing the career related to that you study after graduate, but it is your choice.

I myself didn't do what I study after graduate, the working environment and studying environment is very difference, also my career cannot pay me enough of money for the job, that is why I change my career. I believe people go to higher education in hope of making more money, but it will usually leave them disappointed.
P/S : you may not believe what I told you, because I know it well, the last time I go for higher education, some old folk told me the same advice, but I didn't take it seriously, because I was so naive and not knowing how this world work, but now I start to feel it that what they told me is something very important, and shouldn't be ignore, this sound like a very discouraging advice but you need to face it, because it is your future, you decide it yourself so you need to take responsible of yourself.

Based on your choice of study, I can assume you have no idea what you want to study, because all your choice are so random, it is like you are giving the your career a chance to gambling on you. So your mum don't want you to study certain subject, may be it is because you want to choose it but your mum stop you to do so, so what are in your mind? I dunno, please be honest to yourself. If you want to study Econ/business just choose it, and fill in the form Econ/business for pick 1 until pick 12, and each pick for different university, this way you are gambling on university instead of gambling on field of study, which is what I want you to know choose the career that you like, not choose the uni that you like, you study for career not study for uni.

If you are male that go for higher education, it is acceptable, because it is your job to be bread winner no?
But if you are female that go for higher education, my experience tell me, female graduate from uni usually choose to get married after the uni and become house wife, it is a completely waste of time to study uni for them, because they waste the time in uni rather than spend quality time with family. Also those study in private uni is the worst, they are high in debt after graduate, and they are completely clueless of what to do after graduate. This is not funny, they are screwed in life just because of education. They are getting so old and most of their peers already have happy family at late 20, and those graduate only begun to wondering what’s wrong with their life.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Hello there, thanks for taking time to craft such a reply. But while i agree with you sayin I dont know what i want to do
and my courses are all "mickey mouse degrees i think its pretty clear that i want to go into teaching bcs my choices are all language and arts related. However, for u to say indirectly that i shouldnt worry abt higher education bcs your experience tells u many female grads become housewives is ridiculous. Yes there are those who make that choice BUT ITS 2018 ALREADY OKAY WOMEN ARE BREADWINNERS TOO

now look, i'd take economics but deep down i worry ok if i get it i wont do well and be bad at it. Ive always been good at languages and right now ur being very discouraging. Since u feel so strongly abt my choices why dont u tell me whats not a "mickey mouse degree" bcs i have a feeling ur from the science stream and u look down on the arts as "useless" and cannot get job. Goverment not secure meh the job? When the recession hit lately the private sector jobs were more affected than gov jobs and now my dad relies more on my mom that the other way around. Sure the sciences pay sooo much more but teaching is such a wide scope and i can still branch out.
TShoneybee33
post Mar 13 2018, 09:54 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Mar 13 2018, 09:34 AM)
Choose some subjects you like, if it is hard to apply in well-known university, others will do as well... University degree is just a piece of paper, it is just a windows to open up your eyes...

A lot of us is not working in the field we study, but a degree opens up our perspective. Besides, it is also possible to switch courses once you are enroll in the university. It is also possible to further study into the field you like doing master or phd once you get your degree. Local university provides a relatively cheap platform to get a tertiary education. From there you can travel further.

I always remember in my Uni (UPM), one thing I gain most from my lecturer is that we should go and find our own answer / path... what the lecturer teaches is just a tip of the ice berg to get you interested, it is just surface knowledge. If you want more, you can google and research yourself. It is like a platform where you are introduce to everything and you yourself choose what you like best and dwell in it more

Don't get disappointed if you didn't get your chosen Uni or subjects... University is just a doorway for you to open up endless possibilities... if all depends on yourself what you want and how eager you want it
Hello there! Yes thats why ive been trying to say to some of the commentors here and why i put upsi teaching and my first choice bcs i like tesl and i feel i have a good chance of gettinf in to the uni compared to um/usm.

I want to use local u as a stepping stone to a good career and hopefully be able to use it to my advantage and exploring wider pathways in life. And i wont dw smile.gif ive done my best in stpm so lets just see if i get it, its fated la kan. Btw may i ask what degree u took in upm and what u work as now since u stressed that lots of ppl dont end up in the jobs which match their degree

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:10 PM