Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Active, Mischievous 2 Year-old Infant Boy

Damocles
post Mar 11 2018, 04:47 PM, updated 5 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I am looking after an active, mischievous 2 year-old infant boy on my own.
He is at an exploratory stage of his infancy and like to put everything he picked up inside his mouth and play with anything he can get his hands on.
Besides that he is tall enough to reach the door handle of all the rooms, including the bath rooms as well as the cabinets.
As a lot of the items around can harm him, what is the best way to prevent him from doing so.
By the way, the normal playpen cannot hold him as he can easily climb out of it.
Any information is appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards,

hutazi
post Mar 13 2018, 09:33 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Damocles @ Mar 11 2018, 04:47 PM)
I am looking after an active, mischievous 2 year-old infant boy on my own.
He is at an exploratory stage of his infancy and like to put everything he picked up inside his mouth and play with anything he can get his hands on.
Besides that he is tall enough to reach the door handle of all the rooms, including the bath rooms as well as the cabinets.
As a lot of the items around can harm him, what is the best way to prevent him from doing so.
By the way, the normal playpen cannot hold him as he can easily climb out of it.
Any information is appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards,
protective pads for corners of tables. (Mr DIY sells a pretty good one. its like a length of rubber that you can cut as you like. i even use it in the shower and it still sticks well.)
high quality child safety locks on the drawers and doors and fridge.
any fragile items to be raised on high shelf and or removed from sight. and make sure any shelf cant be climbable as they may climb to try to reach those items above.

and.. well good luck. let them explore and climb and fall down its all part of the learning process.
cc980024
post Mar 13 2018, 10:11 AM

Getting Started

Can't prevent kids from exploring, they won't listen. The more you don't let, the more they feel wanted it.

Not sure if it work for yours, last time when we saw our boy stuff some items into his mouth.. all of us given him a very yucky expression.. such as "aiyerrrrr... u eat that... yuck.. eouk eouk.. yerrr". To make him feel he ate something wrong, something yucky, something human don't eat. And next round.. b4 he stuff thing in his mouth.. we start saying "yerrr".. and he will stop.
And when I notice my boy is about to explore drawer. I will quickly tell him to "open it and see what's inside". There are time I even bring him to some cabinet, open it up and explore along with him, explaining the stuff that kept in there and lets put it bk nicely. It seems that, he seldom show interest to touch my drawer, even open.. won't mess it. Only peek and close bk.

We taught him the way to climb up/down the stairs, bed, highchair before he even explore it. But the only thing we never taught and he did was he manage to climb and sit on top of a 4 layer plastic cabinet, then on we put heavy rocks at the bottom drawer to prevent topple.

For bathroom/toilet/room, no choice, will have to diy a lock at higher side of the door. And lucky our kitchen have door.
bunny65
post Mar 13 2018, 08:24 PM

Casual

To my horror, my mother admitted to using chilli sauce as a method of deterring us from chewing on items... sad.gif
cc980024
post Mar 14 2018, 03:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bunny65 @ Mar 13 2018, 08:24 PM)
To my horror, my mother admitted to using chilli sauce as a method of deterring us from chewing on items... sad.gif
My mother did that on my pacifier.. but still fail.. hahahaha. I had pacifier until 6yrs old.
pooi_pooi1
post Mar 27 2018, 12:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Mar 13 2018, 10:11 AM)
Can't prevent kids from exploring, they won't listen. The more you don't let, the more they feel wanted it.

There are time I even bring him to some cabinet, open it up and explore along with him, explaining the stuff that kept in there and lets put it bk nicely. It seems that, he seldom show interest to touch my drawer, even open.. won't mess it. Only peek and close bk.

I learn something new here. Totally agree that we as parents should not restrict our kids when they start to explore many things in this world. In reverse, we should show them what are things in front of them, teach them about the things and their uses or even risk (danger) related to that things. This method will make him learn and understand the world surrounding him.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0592sec    3.06    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd July 2018 - 04:36 AM