Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mountain Bike v34, The lowyat.net mountain bike community

views

etigge
post Aug 10 2018, 10:35 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Aug 7 2018, 04:19 PM)
purpose : taman ride /fun ride and on and off road 

thanks for recommendation.i will give a visit there
You can actually drive to Dengkil's Sew Leong for better price. Good price there. Just behind the mosque at the traffic light junction.
etigge
post Aug 31 2018, 07:07 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(j45on @ Aug 30 2018, 10:57 AM)
hey guys! its been 3 years since i rode MTB and i am now planning to get back on MTB again. can someone please recommend a good shop to service my bike and change my rear wheel hub?

I own a soft tail cross country santa cruz. thanks in advance!
3 years is a long time to leave your bike alone. Most probably the gear cables and housing needs to be changed already. BB taken out and cleaned. Gears re-aligned and adjusted. You also need to check if the pivot bearings (it's a full sus , right?) are jammed. If they are, it is going to cost a bomb. As for rear hubs, you haven't specify what's wrong but usually parts can be changed. If it is the freehub, change the freehub and if it is the bearings, change the bearings. I can only see these 2 problems. If you change rear hubs, it is definitely going to cost more than 200. Even if you are changing a cheap. chokia hub, cost of re-lacing the wheels have to be considered apart from hubs itself.

As for location, there's a shop in Cheras Perdana. Kimbell Jaya. It is very near Kajang. Just Waze Petron Cheras Perdana and the shop is just in front.
etigge
post Sep 1 2018, 08:56 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Aug 31 2018, 10:00 PM)
Hi guys...

i just started the ride now, would like to know where i can find bicycle pants with padding

my size is quite big - 46 inch

appreciate the advice
Padded pants sized 46, hmmm....... hmm.gif Good Luck on that. I am sized 40 inch and have not found one yet after 5 years now. You can order online but without actual viewing, it's not really recommended. I once ordered a 3XL from a shop but when it arrived, it was still too small. 3XL could be only 2XL in China. 46 is 4XL already. I actually like the Endura pants but sadly our local fellas here usually orders up to size 36 only. The most is size 38.

Another option is use padded underpants. I think 3XL is OK already. I used 2XL. Then I pair it with Columbia or North Shore hiking pants. Also fast dry. In fact they are even lighter than the mountain bike pants. Then again, I think to find size 46 hiking pants is also quite hard. But you can try.
etigge
post Sep 3 2018, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(canaviso @ Sep 2 2018, 01:44 PM)
Thanks bro. How much would be the bare minimum  entry level which i won't die when i use it. 😁
Another alternative is check your sizing and then troll through bicyclebuysell.com and find one with your size and budget. For 1K you can get a reasonable quality used mtb and if you add another K, you can get a good one. Many upgrade their bikes after only a few months of usage at beginner level, so many of those used ones are actually quite new. I think getting a used one first is wiser. Good Luck !
etigge
post Sep 29 2018, 04:17 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(ahchat @ Sep 29 2018, 12:30 PM)
hi guys, which mtb shops carry giant bikes? I know 2 only, 1 in Tropicana and another at batu caves..

is there any other shop? wanna order rear dropout
Another one in Sri Serdang. K & L Partners. 3255, Jalan 18/37, Taman Sri Serdang , 43300 Seri Kembangan. 03-8942 2686. I got mine there too.

Many usual sellers in BBS also stocks them, Sai86 , joshuanz1 and David Cheng which is based in Section 17, PJ.

This post has been edited by etigge: Sep 29 2018, 04:20 PM
etigge
post Oct 16 2018, 03:49 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Str33tBoY @ Oct 16 2018, 11:33 AM)
Any full sus bike mainly for XC...
Like fork travel 100mm,max 120mm...
I narrow to specialized epic,any other brand and model?
Check out Giant Anthem as well. I manage to get mine 11.8 kgs but change quite a lot of components though but with Fox's Evolution 120 mm fork and still using triple chainrings in front.
etigge
post Nov 2 2018, 02:34 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(SMED @ Oct 31 2018, 08:28 PM)
beginner level, for starting cycle around taman
budget <rm1k
For that budget, although there are mtb around that budget, usually the components are also entry levels. If you don't mind used ones, I think you will get better deals from bicyclebuysell.com . For 1K you get better bikes. Many also started off like yourself but after a few months of riding and improving, they will start to upgrade and hence selling it in bicyclebuysell. Look for brands like the said Marins, Polygons and even for that price you can get Giants and Specialized entry level bikes.
etigge
post Nov 2 2018, 07:11 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(SMED @ Nov 2 2018, 03:06 PM)
Thanks for the pointer bro  rclxms.gif
Is this website similar to mudah?
It's a classified site but for anything related to bicycles but like all online transactions, try to meet up and try the bike. Here's a few examples ,

http://www.bicyclebuysell.com/item/463577/...-repaint-sakura

http://www.bicyclebuysell.com/item/460251/...od-for-beginner

http://www.bicyclebuysell.com/item/462703/...ires-just-tuned

More important, check for the suitable size that is fitting to you.
etigge
post Nov 6 2019, 03:34 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(8823 @ Nov 6 2019, 11:29 AM)
I see thanks.
How do I choose the size of my tire? Can I use a 2.2 tire to replace my currently 1.95 tire?
Yes, you can but you need to push harder for wider tires. I am using 2.25 Maxxis Ardents after Schwalbe prices kept going up. Surprisingly, I find the performance is also as good as Schwalbes but like all, tire pressure is important. Even my wife says the Maxxis Aspen 2.1s is just as good as the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs of the same size. Much cheaper too, almost one for two prices nowadays.

I started off using 27.5 and I find it harder to go uphills so I switch back to 26, using the same fork but has since change to 26 inch frames though. I think I will use 26 till tires stop production but I doubt it will be soon though.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0246sec    0.60    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:19 PM