Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

VPN - INTERNET SECURITY, INFO SHARING

views

TSKKTECHHUB
post Mar 9 2018, 11:49 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
133 posts

VPNs are well known and trusted tools for protecting users’ privacy when browsing the Internet. But if you think this is the only thing they are capable of, you are wrong. From getting cheaper flight tickets to streaming your favorite TV series – there are dozens of everyday situations where you could enjoy the benefits of virtual private networks.

7 cool ways to use your VPN:

1. Avoid bandwidth throttling
ISP will try to slow down certain traffic during peak internet demand after analysis your internet usage with firewall. VPN encrypts your Internet traffic so that your ISP can no longer see it thus cannot control it.

2. Access your favorite websites when abroad
A VPN helps you securely bypass content restrictions and censorship by allowing to virtually change your location. You can view restrict content due to copyright agreements that are issued on country-by-country basis.

3. Save money on flight tickets, hotels, and car rentals
The trick of saving some money is to make it appear as if you are browsing from a country where the prices are lower. Since your IP address quite precisely reveals your geographical location, what you need to do is hide it. This can be easily done with a VPN. When you connect to a VPN server, your IP is replaced with the IP address of the preferred location.

4. Download and upload files securely
With a VPN turned on, you can use P2P without your ISP slowing you down and stay safe at the same time. With a VPN, your IP stays hidden and all your Internet traffic is encrypted so that no one can see or intercept it.

5. Don’t worry about public Wi-Fi security
So to stay on the safe side, you’ll need a reliable VPN. Its encrypted connections will ensure your data remains safe, and even if a hacker manages to intercept it, they won’t be able to use it for nefarious purposes.

6. Avoid price discrimination when shopping online
Many online stores display different prices for the same items based on the location a user is browsing from. So if you are about to buy those amazing shoes online or order that sci-fi book, don’t just yet. First, clear your browser cookies. This will make websites forget you have visited them before. Then launch your VPN app and choose a country you want to make it look like you are browsing from.

7. Keep your conversations secure and private
Services like Skype are often blocked in highly-censored countries, so combining VoIP with a VPN is a must, especially if you are traveling or temporarily residing abroad. Not only does a VPN help you bypass these blocks and call your friends and family from anywhere in the world, it also secures your Internet traffic with strong encryption, preventing snoopers from monitoring it.

SOURCE - FROM NORDVPN
NORDVPN

This post has been edited by KKTECHHUB: Mar 10 2018, 09:12 AM
MaxyPower
post Mar 19 2018, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

i often use vpn when I connect to another wifi network
TSKKTECHHUB
post Mar 20 2018, 07:55 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(MaxyPower @ Mar 19 2018, 09:17 PM)
i often use vpn when I connect to another wifi network
This is a good practice, also make sure VPN provider provide no logs policy and dns leak protection.
aresuno P
post Sep 2 2019, 09:20 PM

Probation
1 posts

Very Nice Article
System Error Message
post Oct 25 2019, 12:58 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(KKTECHHUB @ Mar 9 2018, 11:49 PM)
VPNs are well known and trusted tools for protecting users’ privacy when browsing the Internet. But if you think this is the only thing they are capable of, you are wrong. From getting cheaper flight tickets to streaming your favorite TV series – there are dozens of everyday situations where you could enjoy the benefits of virtual private networks.

7 cool ways to use your VPN:

1. Avoid bandwidth throttling
    ISP will try to slow down certain traffic during peak internet demand after analysis your internet usage with firewall. VPN encrypts your Internet traffic so that your ISP can no longer see it thus cannot control it.

2. Access your favorite websites when abroad
    A VPN helps you securely bypass content restrictions and censorship by allowing to virtually change your location. You can view restrict content due to copyright agreements that are issued on country-by-country basis.

3. Save money on flight tickets, hotels, and car rentals
    The trick of saving some money is to make it appear as if you are browsing from a country where the prices are lower. Since your IP address quite precisely reveals your geographical location, what you need to do is hide it. This can be easily done with a VPN. When you connect to a VPN server, your IP is replaced with the IP address of the preferred location.

4. Download and upload files securely
    With a VPN turned on, you can use P2P without your ISP slowing you down and stay safe at the same time. With a VPN, your IP stays hidden and all your Internet traffic is encrypted so that no one can see or intercept it.

5. Don’t worry about public Wi-Fi security
    So to stay on the safe side, you’ll need a reliable VPN. Its encrypted connections will ensure your data remains safe, and even if a hacker manages to intercept it, they won’t be able to use it for nefarious purposes.

6. Avoid price discrimination when shopping online
    Many online stores display different prices for the same items based on the location a user is browsing from. So if you are about to buy those amazing shoes online or order that sci-fi book, don’t just yet. First, clear your browser cookies. This will make websites forget you have visited them before. Then launch your VPN app and choose a country you want to make it look like you are browsing from.

7. Keep your conversations secure and private
    Services like Skype are often blocked in highly-censored countries, so combining VoIP with a VPN is a must, especially if you are traveling or temporarily residing abroad. Not only does a VPN help you bypass these blocks and call your friends and family from anywhere in the world, it also secures your Internet traffic with strong encryption, preventing snoopers from monitoring it.

SOURCE - FROM NORDVPN
NORDVPN
Sorry but this is all false. a VPN is only a network on another network. What really protects this is if you use a proxy, not a VPN. Using a VPN is like putting another router to your router.

When im away i use my router as a VPN server, i also use my VPS as a VPN server too since its private its not on a VPN host list so i can overcome region blocking. But more importantly, it does not give you privacy or security, thats what a web proxy is for.

A VPN only protects access, so rather than having something exposed to the internet, you can have to be LAN only and access it via a VPN to avoid exposing any vulnerable spots, and this is if you want to access your home NAS remotely or camera system, something IOTs need to use.

a VPN will not make your web browsing more secure or private. Many malaysian mobile networks block all the VPNs that come natively with many OSes.

For what you're asking, a HTTPS or SSL based web proxy does all of what you listed. By utilising SSL, thats already an encrypted tunnel. The web proxy reprocesses the data, and so makes it difficult to track you, but you can be tracked with a VPN and i have traced people in the past into their LANs and can even get a list of networked hosts on that network, which if you want to know more, look at NAT detection for advanced information which is only what VPN offers, another layer of NAT.
G-17
post Oct 25 2019, 01:24 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,748 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 25 2019, 12:58 AM)
a VPN will not make your web browsing more secure or private. Many malaysian mobile networks block all the VPNs that come natively with many OSes.

Please clarify what "natively" means. Are you talking about the protocols native to the operating system - like the options available in the native Settings?

I roll my own IKEv2/IPSec tunnel from Ubuntu installation on a Digital Ocean VPS instance in Singapore and have never had issues on iOS with Maxis (postpaid) or Celcom Xpax (prepaid) mobile networks.

System Error Message
post Oct 25 2019, 01:25 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(G-17 @ Oct 25 2019, 01:24 AM)
Please clarify what "natively" means. Are you talking about the protocols native to the operating system - like the options available in the native Settings?

I roll my own IKEv2/IPSec tunnel from Ubuntu installation on a Digital Ocean VPS instance in Singapore and have never had issues on iOS with Maxis (postpaid) or Celcom Xpax (prepaid) mobile networks.
Client to connect to a VPN network. For instance most OSes come with PPTP, IPSEC,SSTP. Others usually need to be installed.

I've tried all 3 i mentioned and doesnt work on webe. It does work on digi using a dedicated modem rather than phone.
LordSatriaVII
post Oct 25 2019, 01:31 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

i m using vpn to watch netflix on another country , and also to play games with another country tongue.gif tongue.gif
G-17
post Oct 25 2019, 01:45 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,748 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 25 2019, 01:25 AM)
Client to connect to a VPN network. For instance most OSes come with PPTP, IPSEC,SSTP. Others usually need to be installed.

I've tried all 3 i mentioned and doesnt work on webe. It does work on digi using a dedicated modem rather than phone.
Webe isn't exactly a benchmark I'd measure mobile operator standards with. Last time I checked, they didn't even support iMessage or Facetime.

No telco that takes itself seriously would block IPSec, since it's the protocol used in corporate environments. Most locked-down company phones use IPSec, and if a telco blocked any of the related ports they'd have zero corporate customers.
System Error Message
post Oct 25 2019, 02:41 PM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(G-17 @ Oct 25 2019, 01:45 AM)
Webe isn't exactly a benchmark I'd measure mobile operator standards with. Last time I checked, they didn't even support iMessage or Facetime.

No telco that takes itself seriously would block IPSec, since it's the protocol used in corporate environments. Most locked-down company phones use IPSec, and if a telco blocked any of the related ports they'd have zero corporate customers.
Unifi mobile offerings are also bad too in comparison to what other telcos offer price wise and they limit things between 3g and 4g, for instance you cant tether on 4g, and different data limits for both. Im using webe because i got it with family while it was still webe so i get to enjoy the promo prices, but on unifi network since they own it no.
cassian948
post Oct 25 2019, 02:45 PM

Enthusiast
890 posts

No. 1 is not entirely correct. ISP-based speed throttling can't be bypass using VPN unless it is a sites specific throttling.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:03 PM