Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need guidance for getting into the world of bikes., Newbie rider getting my 1st bike

views

Mikahl
post Mar 18 2018, 05:05 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(PedangGila @ Mar 17 2018, 06:26 PM)
Yes people are saying Sidi's is a bit tough for daily. Even after broken in still the boots aren't that easy? Have you tried Forma adv boots?
Firstly, it depends which model Sidi u referring to in terms of break-in. The Sidi Insider (casual mid-cut) will soften so well, they feel like running shoes after a month. As for the racing boots series that are constructed with some kinda stiff, water-resistant microfiber, if you try them new and they don't fit well, they most likely won't even after a while. It's not leather and won't expand accordingly. But if they fit well, you could wear them over a full day's ride and not feel a thing. Because they are pretty damn stiff, the protection is fairly good. I crash tested a pair and my toes and ankle are still where they're supposed to be. As for the shoe, still very usable.
Justin.Loong
post Mar 19 2018, 09:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Mar 17 2018, 09:20 AM)
it depends on your school of style

this, paired with slim fit blue jeans, a fitted shirt and a nice shiny bling bling watch goes well in any occasion - except your wedding

hahaha  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
user posted image
Wedding also can! lol... laugh.gif thumbup.gif thumbsup.gif
frooddor
post Mar 19 2018, 09:25 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(James_How @ Mar 9 2018, 01:59 PM)

9) Will it score me more chicks or scared them away?

im a newbie too and i dont know much about neither but... i pretty sure it will attract more dudes than chicks haha biggrin.gif
g3n0c1d3
post Mar 19 2018, 11:20 AM

hai hai... kazuma dayo....
6,493 posts

1) Being a white collar professional, is it recommended to wear full protective gears? Will it crumple my office attire?
- not a white collar pro, but as suggested and common sense, u can leave ur suits at the office. As for myself if i dont have any meetings i just wear my jeans n my shirts to work. not sure about the rules of attire at ur office.

2) Where can I purchase proper safety helmets, attire etc (good quality, safety is everything to me).
FB/bike accessories shops

3) My BMW is a naked bike, is it advisable to have a topcase (anywhere i can find a detachable top case that can easily be removed?)
depends but look wise im against it lol

4) What are the practical issues faced while commuting to work in a bike (like weather, road conditions, crazy car driver) and how to address those issues
- too hot or too wet (rain), oh sunburn is a real thing. be prepared for it. riding on the afternoon especially will dehydrated u and u'll be covered in sweats. so if u really need to ride on the afternoon, please take note of that.
- as for road condition depends on where u are. but even in kl some of the road are quite bad. if u are not familiar with the road i suggest ride it cautiously.
- as for the crazy car driver, well i dont have anything to say but just be extra careful and be cautious at all times.

5) I am fucking scared to ride on Malaysian road, in vietnam max i can go is 40km per hour je.
- scared is good, u'll tend to be more careful.

6) Can my normal leather working shoes (quite expensive) be worn while riding the bike? Will the constant shifting of gears damage my shoes?
- please no. wear a proper riding shoes.

7) Any gadgets that i can add on to my bike like handphone holder, gps tracker (incase of theft), bike lock?
- bike lock 1st.

8) Should i style my hair before or after i reach office lol.
- yes, u should. one thing about riding bikes is u'll tend to be early at the office so take ur time and dress up/style ur hair.

- in my experience, a bike attracts dude, cars usually attracts girls (well not really)

ZZR-Pilot
post Mar 21 2018, 09:55 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(James_How @ Mar 9 2018, 02:59 PM)

1) Being a white collar professional, is it recommended to wear full protective gears? Will it crumple my office attire?

You can if you want. I don't wear office shirt regularly, but whenever required I simply ride my bike in full 2-piece suit & dress shoes... macam James Bond la pulak.
3) My BMW is a naked bike, is it advisable to have a topcase (anywhere i can find a detachable top case that can easily be removed?)

Me, I hate top boxes. I usually ride with a backpack on my back. If I have to wear a business suit, I attach a large removable tailpack to the rear seat to carry my shit.

4) What are the practical issues faced while commuting to work in a bike (like weather, road conditions, crazy car driver) and how to address those issues

Parking is increasingly becoming an issue for bikers.

6) Can my normal leather working shoes (quite expensive) be worn while riding the bike? Will the constant shifting of gears damage my shoes?

Whenever I have to wear my derby shoes and oxfords, I put a bit of masking tape on the inner side of the vamp to stop it from scuffing against the gearshift lever.

Alternatively, slip on a silicone sock over the gearshift lever.

You want my experience?

You'd think riding a bike would get the attention of chicks. In reality, only guys would approach you ("Bro... motor cantik bro, Kawasaki ke?").

LOLOLOL...

PedangGila
post Mar 21 2018, 02:47 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Sahkan awek, bini pun tak masuk rapat.
andrewhtf
post Mar 21 2018, 03:29 PM

Regular
1,576 posts

QUOTE(James_How @ Mar 9 2018, 01:59 PM)
I have the following concerns that perhaps sifus here can provide input or recommendations!

- Yes will crumple. but if you wear wrinkle-free shirt then no problem. if you wear slim-fit oso no issue. wear gears. better be safe than sorry.

2) Where can I purchase proper safety helmets, attire etc (good quality, safety is everything to me).
- research on what helmet you want to wear, then only find place to test wear and buy. well others have already suggested places earlier

- if you dont care about looks, by all means yes. bloody convenient. raincoat can keep inside box. come rain, just throw everything in box, protected from rain while you wear raincoat.

- be prepared. cant advise much, all these need self experience.

5) I am fucking scared to ride on Malaysian road, in vietnam max i can go is 40km per hour je.
- slow and steady, build your confidence

- yes will spoil. i'd say leave your work shoe at your workdesk. wear proper riding boots when commuting. wtaerproof boots is good too

7) Any gadgets that i can add on to my bike like handphone holder, gps tracker (incase of theft), bike lock?
- you're riding in KL, u dont need a phone holder. disc lock is good, chain and padlock is good. GPS tracker is cheap but u need to have active sim card. go install a louder horn, in KL u will use it alot. also install spotlights if possible. at least those drivers no excuse say "tak nampak".

- i gel my hair after reach office.

- ini msia, bukan vietnam. msia chicks tengok kereta. motor is poorfag.

This post has been edited by andrewhtf: Mar 21 2018, 03:34 PM
xecton
post Apr 7 2018, 03:57 PM

The Reverend
734 posts

user posted image

TCX Metropolitan for office wear motorcycle boots
haturaya
post Apr 7 2018, 04:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(xecton @ Apr 7 2018, 03:57 PM)
user posted image

Nice... where can I get one? hmm.gif
lucifah
post Apr 7 2018, 04:58 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,932 posts

QUOTE(xecton @ Apr 7 2018, 03:57 PM)
user posted image

wow... brb. go to revzilla nao
xecton
post Apr 7 2018, 06:06 PM

The Reverend
734 posts

Look for DC Biker in Facebook.

I didn't get the Metropolitan for myself as it was way too pretty for a kuli like me.
But I did try it on, damn comfy man.
Ada goretex lagi
~Battousai~
post Sep 26 2018, 11:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,477 posts

hihi looking for shoes that is waterproof and for work..

sadly dc biker is in penang.

any other place for tcx in selangor ?

im in subang jaya area
Mikahl
post Sep 26 2018, 05:52 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(~Battousai~ @ Sep 26 2018, 11:17 AM)

im in subang jaya area
'Hodaka Motoworld PJCC' is just right at your doorstep bro, go check it out. Just Google for address.
~Battousai~
post Sep 26 2018, 08:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Mikahl @ Sep 26 2018, 05:52 PM)
'Hodaka Motoworld PJCC' is just right at your doorstep bro, go check it out. Just Google for address.
lovely. will do.. thanks buddy
Eilrach
post Sep 26 2018, 09:52 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(~Battousai~ @ Sep 26 2018, 11:17 AM)

im in subang jaya area
Don't go Hodaka just yet, there's gonna be a massive sales at Bike Sentral Klang this weekend, I think Hodaka will have a booth there. Got up to 50% sales there this weekend.
~Battousai~
post Sep 26 2018, 10:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Eilrach @ Sep 26 2018, 09:52 PM)
Don't go Hodaka just yet, there's gonna be a massive sales at Bike Sentral Klang this weekend, I think Hodaka will have a booth there. Got up to 50% sales there this weekend.
i saw tht.. really sad this weekend i wont be available at all sad.gif
skincladalien
post Sep 27 2018, 11:11 AM

Densha Otaku
1,913 posts

Get this plus hiking shoe good enough for riding to work?

https://www.motogear.my/Komine-BK-204-TPU-SHIFT-PAD-BLACK
mADmAN
post Sep 27 2018, 12:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

QUOTE(skincladalien @ Sep 27 2018, 11:11 AM)
Get this plus hiking shoe good enough for riding to work?

https://www.motogear.my/Komine-BK-204-TPU-SHIFT-PAD-BLACK
meh... i just got myself a pair of sneakers and no shift pad n ride to work....

but recently got myself that shifter sock....coz it was free... otherwise i wouldnt bother lol
sunmaster
post Sep 28 2018, 09:18 AM

46 posts

i highly recomend bikequest. i'm fairly a new biker as well. I got all my gears there except helmet.

The boss there is very friendly and knowledgeable. all the other shops i've been, they just stand beside you and wait for you to pick out the gear and only answer your question if you ask them. No, I'm not related to the boss or whatever, i'm just a very satisfied customer

for helmet brand I suggest getting HJC, value for money

you'll need to ride defensively in KL traffic when filtering thru the jams., 110% alert all the times.

better get a actual riding shoes. there are leather riding shoes that looks like leather shoes. but for me I'll change the shoes when i'm in office. Riding shoes is expensive, I woudn't want to so succumb daily wear and tear. biggrin.gif

1 recomendation, cut it short like me. no styling required biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

K7 Networks
post Oct 1 2018, 01:10 PM

0 posts

GPS Tracker for bikes...

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4666334&hl=

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0305sec    0.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:29 PM