Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Not able to transfer iPhone photos directly to, Ext HDD

views

TSbarca96
post Mar 8 2018, 07:37 PM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
980 posts

I've gone through dozens of threads via Google on how to do a simple task of transfer photos from iPhone directly to my ext. hdd using a Mac.
After reading through many suggestions such as transferring to
a) iCloud and then picking it from there or
b) transfer to the laptop and then take it from there

Both options is not what I want.
Then I found someone suggesting Image Capture. That worked to transfer to the laptop (pictures) but not directly to my ext hdd even after I chose to import there.
What is the problem?

I notice that I have a problem with editing files in my ext hdd as well which I use for my Windows based laptop.

Why can't it just be as simple as it is on Windows where it's click and drop by using Explorer only?

I've always read and heard that Apple is user friendly but from my experience it is more troublesome.
The other problem that I have is viewing scrolling through photos.
Why couldn't they just let us open and scroll through the photos right away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by barca96: Mar 8 2018, 07:41 PM
Khalid21
post Mar 8 2018, 07:54 PM

Regular
1,138 posts

why you need external HDD... just install Flickr free 1 TB
firdausbhari
post Mar 9 2018, 02:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,194 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 8 2018, 07:37 PM)
I've gone through dozens of threads via Google on how to do a simple task of transfer photos from iPhone directly to my ext. hdd using a Mac.

Then I found someone suggesting Image Capture. That worked to transfer to the laptop (pictures) but not directly to my ext hdd even after I chose to import there.
What is the problem?

I notice that I have a problem with editing files in my ext hdd as well which I use for my Windows based laptop.

Why can't it just be as simple as it is on Windows where it's click and drop by using Explorer only?

I've always read and heard that Apple is user friendly but from my experience it is more troublesome.

Dude, just change the Image Capture location to your external drive laaaa........
TSbarca96
post Mar 9 2018, 09:19 PM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(Khalid21 @ Mar 8 2018, 07:54 PM)
why you need external HDD...  just install Flickr free 1 TB
Because I want to transfer the photos from my gf's iPhone to my ext HDD as what I have said in the original post.

TSbarca96
post Mar 9 2018, 09:20 PM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Mar 9 2018, 02:20 PM)
Dude, just change the Image Capture location to your external drive laaaa........
from the original post
That worked to transfer to the laptop (pictures) but not directly to my ext hdd even after I chose to import there.

soonwai
post Mar 10 2018, 02:53 AM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 8 2018, 07:37 PM)

What is the problem?

I usually just use AirDrop from my iPhone to my MBP.
firdausbhari
post Mar 10 2018, 04:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,194 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 9 2018, 09:20 PM)
from the original post
May i know what format is your external hdd? Hfs+ or NTFS
TSbarca96
post Mar 11 2018, 10:21 PM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Mar 10 2018, 04:13 AM)
May i know what format is your external hdd? Hfs+ or NTFS
Ermn I am not sure. It is a WD Passport 1tb.

I can access and transfer files from the ext. Hdd to the Mac and vice versa.
Problem is that I can't create a folder or rename any folders or files in the ext. hdd when connected to the Mac.

One time I also lost a large video file which I think is related to this issue.
I am a real estate agent. I took a video which lasted over 1 min. So the file is 200+mb.
I took videos of each floor which are 3 floors.
So I wanted to upload the ground floor first so that I can start to advertise that first sort of preview.
I transferred only that file from the DSLR to my gf's Mac and then straight away upload it to my YouTube channel.
But there was an error because YouTube doesn't can't that file.
I tried to view that file in Finder. It tried to open using Quicktime but QT can't read it either.
I tried to use VLC player, same issue.

I went home and transferred the 2 remaining video files to my Windows laptop and they were fine.
Now I am not sure where it went wrong.
dvlzplayground
post Mar 11 2018, 11:11 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 11 2018, 10:21 PM)
Ermn I am not sure. It is a WD Passport 1tb.

I can access and transfer files from the ext. Hdd to the Mac and vice versa.
Problem is that I can't create a folder or rename any folders or files in the ext. hdd when connected to the Mac.

One time I also lost a large video file which I think is related to this issue.
I am a real estate agent. I took a video which lasted over 1 min. So the file is 200+mb.
I took videos of each floor which are 3 floors.
So I wanted to upload the ground floor first so that I can start to advertise that first sort of preview.
I transferred only that file from the DSLR to my gf's Mac and then straight away upload it to my YouTube channel.
But there was an error because YouTube doesn't can't that file.
I tried to view that file in Finder. It tried to open using Quicktime but QT can't read it either.
I tried to use VLC player, same issue.

I went home and transferred the 2 remaining video files to my Windows laptop and they were fine.
Now I am not sure where it went wrong.
Usually external hard drives are formatted to NTFS, which isn't natively supported for Macs. This explains why you can't write to the drive (create folder, paste files, rename, all cant be done).

I recommend that you install Paragon NTFS for Mac. This enables NTFS support. Alternatives are Tuxera NTFS, NTFS-3G. After this, just use Image Capture and set the destination to the ext HDD.

That being said, Google Photos is a far superior option to backup photos. I never bother to transfer photos off my phone anymore.

About the DSLR video, what format is it? What camera? Some DSLRs record in a special codec, usually intended to be imported to a video editing software first instead of directly uploaded to youtube.
firdausbhari
post Mar 11 2018, 11:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,194 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thats why u cannot transfer any files to your ext hdd. Im guessing u are new to Mac.

NTFS doesnt support write access in macOS. Only read. Thats why u are able to view but weren’t able to create or paste a file.

U may install Paragon NTFS to gain write access for macOS if u intend to use ext hdd in both machine

Or

Format to HFS+ in disk utility if just use it in mac
TSbarca96
post Mar 12 2018, 09:41 AM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Mar 11 2018, 11:11 PM)
Usually external hard drives are formatted to NTFS, which isn't natively supported for Macs. This explains why you can't write to the drive (create folder, paste files, rename, all cant be done).

I recommend that you install Paragon NTFS for Mac. This enables NTFS support. Alternatives are Tuxera NTFS, NTFS-3G. After this, just use Image Capture and set the destination to the ext HDD.

That being said, Google Photos is a far superior option to backup photos. I never bother to transfer photos off my phone anymore.

About the DSLR video, what format is it? What camera? Some DSLRs record in a special codec, usually intended to be imported to a video editing software first instead of directly uploaded to youtube.
Thank you very much for the info.
I guessed it that it can't be interchanged by just plug and play.

The videos are in .Mov format. Usually I just upload directly from the DSLR to YouTube if I am in a rush. Else I would transfer from DSLR to my Windows laptop and then upload it from there. Very straightforward.

TSbarca96
post Mar 12 2018, 09:42 AM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Mar 11 2018, 11:21 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thats why u cannot transfer any files to your ext hdd. Im guessing u are new to Mac.

NTFS doesnt support write access in macOS. Only read. Thats why u are able to view but weren’t able to create or paste a file.

U may install Paragon NTFS to gain write access for macOS if u intend to use ext hdd in both machine

Or

Format to HFS+ in disk utility if just use it in mac
Yes I am new. Thanks for your input.
alextan99
post Mar 12 2018, 09:44 AM

Wassup
2,645 posts

if you have another external HDD just temp move all your file from the external HDD to another then format the drive in exFAT on any windows machine and no more issue in the future with MAC's
joevo2
post Mar 12 2018, 09:54 AM

Casual
421 posts

Well... another interesting setup I have is... I have a Raspberry Pi configured with SMB and connected my ext hdd and to my home network (Basically just a NAS setup using RPI).

So whenever im at home I can use any Samba (SMB) app (in my cause I use Documents by Readdle) and I can directly send and manage my files in my external hard disk

If you wanna do remote shit you can port forward or setup a VPN at home biggrin.gif

I think this is a bit overkill for your use case though LOL

Btw i thought iPhone can just plug into Window and the photo library would be accessible from there you can just drag and drop your image?
TSbarca96
post Mar 12 2018, 10:48 AM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(joevo2 @ Mar 12 2018, 09:54 AM)
Well... another interesting setup I have is... I have a Raspberry Pi configured with SMB and connected my ext hdd and to my home network (Basically just a NAS setup using RPI).

So whenever im at home I can use any Samba (SMB) app (in my cause I use Documents by Readdle) and I can directly send and manage my files in my external hard disk

If you wanna do remote shit you can port forward or setup a VPN at home biggrin.gif

I think this is a bit overkill for your use case though LOL

Btw i thought iPhone can just plug into Window and the photo library would be accessible from there you can just drag and drop your image?
Yeah overkill yes. haha.

Yes for Windows it is very easy. Plug it in, open folder, drag and drop.
I dont understand why it can't be that smooth and easy on a Mac especially when I want to transfer iPhone>straight to ext hdd.
joevo2
post Mar 12 2018, 12:15 PM

Casual
421 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 12 2018, 10:48 AM)
Yeah overkill yes. haha.

I dont understand why it can't be that smooth and easy on a Mac especially when I want to transfer iPhone>straight to ext hdd.
Hahaha in iTunes or macOS latest photos app also can drag and drop la LOL just maybe not in finder style
firdausbhari
post Mar 12 2018, 12:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,194 posts

QUOTE(barca96 @ Mar 12 2018, 10:48 AM)
Yeah overkill yes. haha.

I tot we already explained it above why u cant transfer to ur ext hdd?
TSbarca96
post Mar 12 2018, 12:57 PM

Enthusiast
980 posts

QUOTE(firdausbhari @ Mar 12 2018, 12:41 PM)
I tot we already explained it above why u cant transfer to ur ext hdd?
I'm just sayin...
dvlzplayground
post Mar 13 2018, 12:45 PM

Web developer Nadzim.com
7,916 posts

QUOTE(alextan99 @ Mar 12 2018, 09:44 AM)
if you have another external HDD just temp move all your file from the external HDD to another then format the drive in exFAT on any windows machine and no more issue in the future with MAC's
Is this your setup? Does it work well?

I tried before (probably way back in snow leopard days) and read/write speeds on exFAT drives were ridiculously slow on macOS.
alextan99
post Mar 13 2018, 02:21 PM

Wassup
2,645 posts

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Mar 13 2018, 12:45 PM)
Is this your setup? Does it work well?

I tried before (probably way back in snow leopard days) and read/write speeds on exFAT drives were ridiculously slow on macOS.
yes I'm using this but my external HDD are just backup or backup so I don't care about the speed that much plus I don't transfer 100++ GB per time and not using time machine on that drive

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:13 PM