Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[V31] Lowyat.Net Mechanical Keyboard Club

views

Lybrary P
post Jan 27 2020, 12:01 AM

Probation
0 posts

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to the mech kb hobby and am looking to get a tecware phantom elite tkl with gateron yellows (I heard they are a good budget linear switch). Mainly looking at this kb because of it having universal hotswap sockets which will make it easier for when I try to lube the switches and stabs for the first time and possibly try out different switches later on. Wondering if there are any better recommendations and looking forward to joining the hobby
Lybrary P
post Feb 15 2020, 07:53 PM

Probation
0 posts

Hey! Since my last update I pulled the trigger on buying the Tecware Phantom Elite TKL and lubed up the Gateron Yellows for the board as well as the stabs and the keyboard feels and sounds amazing. I decided to take apart my older keyboard and am going to desolder the Kailh Browns that were on that board to maybe play around with. Wondering if lubing the browns are worth it (lube stem legs or not as well) and if it changes the feel of the browns drastically
Lybrary P
post Feb 15 2020, 11:45 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Feb 15 2020, 11:42 PM)
all switches should be lubed. if possible, do this after a few weeks of use (to make sure switches are broken in first) whether or not it's worth the efforts, you should already know the answer.

for tactile switches, it's up to you to lube the legs or not. again, this is just part of individual preferences. tactility will be reduced after that, but you might like it compared to stock.
ahh I see. Guess I'll just lube a few of them differently and see what I like
Lybrary P
post Feb 19 2020, 02:39 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(GRexer @ Feb 19 2020, 10:04 AM)
Lubing would almost always be worth it, but, because the switches you have are already in a built keyboard, the motivation to desolder the switches, lube them, then solder back is required.  laugh.gif
Haha yeah desoldering all the switches was definitely a pain but I didn't have any plans on reusing the pcb or the keyboard anyway so I definitely destroyed a bunch of the sockets on the pcb. Currently lubing the kailh browns but might not end up lubing all of them or using them again at all since the kailh switches have considerable switch wobble on the stems that I never noticed before until changing to gat yellows.

In other news, currently looking for decent quality affordable keycaps to replace the stock tecware keycaps that have too much of a gamer font for my liking. Any recs for decent keycaps that I can look for? (I wish I had the money for GMK sets lol)
Lybrary P
post Feb 20 2020, 07:59 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Feb 19 2020, 04:37 PM)
decent kalerful set will always be either TaiHao or any sets from TaoBao. priced affordably too.
been using them for a long time so decent enuff for me.
more expensive set is surely better, but u get the looks with this cheap sets.

n if u consider ePBT decent, still will set u back 200-300 for kikaps.  vmad.gif
so i never had them.
I was considering just getting a TaiHao set since they aren't super expensive and looks alright too. Maybe one day when I venture deep enough into this hobby I'll invest in a higher quality keycap set

QUOTE(GRexer @ Feb 20 2020, 04:30 PM)
Which type of housing does the Kailh brown you have uses? I actually often re-house my Gateron switches into Kailh switch housings to reduce wobble so this is kinda new to hear. The Kailh housings I used were the black Nylon type though.
The Kailh browns I have are black bottom housing and transparent top housing. Even just wiggling the switch stem side-by-side with a gateron yellow makes the difference noticeable enough. Maybe switch wobble is not the right term but rather stem wobble
Lybrary P
post Mar 3 2020, 02:36 PM

Probation
0 posts

After using lubed gat yellows for a while, I noticed something weird. Sometimes when at night when my room is cold from the AC, some switches get really bad spring sounds on the downstroke. I thought they were just a result of bad lubing or something with the switches but I noticed it comes and goes whenever the room gets cold (it returns to normal the next morning after the AC is off). Wonder if anyone else knows what's causing this or has experience with it. If it's important I lubed the yellows with krytox 205g0 but it was my first lube job so the lubed switches are probably inconsistent with some have thicker lube than others
Lybrary P
post Mar 3 2020, 07:16 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Mar 3 2020, 03:32 PM)
You lubed the springs with 205 as well? I thought you normally use oil (10X) for springs instead of grease (20X).
Yeah, I totally forgot about getting 105 for the springs when I was buying lube so I just lightly brushed the ends of the springs with 205
Lybrary P
post Apr 23 2020, 06:50 PM

Probation
0 posts

A bit of a random question but I remember being told here that it is generally better to lube switches after they have been broken in for a little. I was wondering how do people go about doing this for soldered builds with a new set of switches or do you just lube the fresh switches in soldered builds
Lybrary P
post Jun 5 2020, 05:16 PM

Probation
0 posts

I joined in on the GB for the TX springs for some 67g springs to put into gat yellows and also got some Krytox 105 to lube them with, just wondering how much oil is recommended to bag lube ~87 springs
Lybrary P
post Jun 5 2020, 08:34 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Jun 5 2020, 06:42 PM)
2ml is more than enough.
Ohh I see thanks. I got a little extra just in case I ever need more in the future. Also wondering if anyone here has any experience using a Krytox 105 + 205 mix to lube switches and if it has any substantial difference in feel to just using 205g0

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0887sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:28 PM