views

GRexer
post Feb 19 2020, 11:25 AM

RS444
Group Icon
VIP
3,814 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 19 2020, 10:21 AM)
Well in my post mortem of my previous dead board, I'm pretty sure I killed it due to bad desoldering technique. I'm a lot better at it now, now that I've learnt things like tinning my tip and adding solder if there's too little left to suck. But on my XD84Pro board, I still managed to lift 1 pad. One of those annoying half pads because the PCB supports multiple layouts.
[attachmentid=10431141]

I believe that heating both pads and pulling out the switch while the solder is liquid, then sucking or wicking after the switch is removed, is a much safer way to desolder.

So the Kasadi is decent eh? It's cheaper than the Hakko Presto! Lol. I wonder if I can resell the Hakko Presto. Opened but still unused.
Not sure what were you previously using, but when desoldering pre-builds is a little more difficult as it needed higher temperatures to melt the lead-free solder, that, coupled with the fact you might over-heat the pads could kill it. Personally I won't pull out the switch with solder still in the hole but prefer to slowly get all the solder out before pulling the switch out. It make take more than a few tries. A good solder sucker is also critical for desoldering lead-free solder.

That Kasadi is decent for a hobbyist usage.
horns
post Feb 19 2020, 12:28 PM

\m/
3,017 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 19 2020, 10:08 AM)
Thanks. Yeah I know it's cheaper than GMK, which is why I'm trying my best to monitor and eventually join a GB for EPBT or Infinikey or maybe even KAT.
different profiles and materials affect typing sound, feel and comfort during typing. some are quite significant imo. it's good to experience them to get the ideas.

epbt released their double-shot abs cap sets recently at taobao. cherry profile, but not sure of quality yet.

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Feb 19 2020, 11:20 AM)
just realise when u wrote this.

dem kibod hobby !  ranting.gif
haha yes bro.

one thing to note is that the hakko soldering station is at least 10x more expensive than kasadi 936. like GRexer pointed out, you should try pair kasadi 936 with hakko tips first, and see the outcomes first.

imo the main idea is to get things done well. for hobbyists who only use the station occasionally, the pairing of kasadi 936 + hakko tip might make more sense. (economically, i mean. it has temperature control; and its replacement parts are relatively affordable)

of course, you can choose to get hakko also. no body will stop you biggrin.gif
Lybrary P
post Feb 19 2020, 02:39 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(GRexer @ Feb 19 2020, 10:04 AM)
Lubing would almost always be worth it, but, because the switches you have are already in a built keyboard, the motivation to desolder the switches, lube them, then solder back is required.  laugh.gif
Haha yeah desoldering all the switches was definitely a pain but I didn't have any plans on reusing the pcb or the keyboard anyway so I definitely destroyed a bunch of the sockets on the pcb. Currently lubing the kailh browns but might not end up lubing all of them or using them again at all since the kailh switches have considerable switch wobble on the stems that I never noticed before until changing to gat yellows.

In other news, currently looking for decent quality affordable keycaps to replace the stock tecware keycaps that have too much of a gamer font for my liking. Any recs for decent keycaps that I can look for? (I wish I had the money for GMK sets lol)
irsyadfy
post Feb 19 2020, 04:37 PM

Getting Started
169 posts

QUOTE(Lybrary @ Feb 19 2020, 02:39 PM)
Haha yeah desoldering all the switches was definitely a pain but I didn't have any plans on reusing the pcb or the keyboard anyway so I definitely destroyed a bunch of the sockets on the pcb. Currently lubing the kailh browns but might not end up lubing all of them or using them again at all since the kailh switches have considerable switch wobble on the stems that I never noticed before until changing to gat yellows.

In other news, currently looking for decent quality affordable keycaps to replace the stock tecware keycaps that have too much of a gamer font for my liking. Any recs for decent keycaps that I can look for? (I wish I had the money for GMK sets lol)
decent kalerful set will always be either TaiHao or any sets from TaoBao. priced affordably too.
been using them for a long time so decent enuff for me.
more expensive set is surely better, but u get the looks with this cheap sets.

n if u consider ePBT decent, still will set u back 200-300 for kikaps. vmad.gif
so i never had them.
Noob Boy 1996 P
post Feb 20 2020, 01:57 PM

Probation
25 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Feb 18 2020, 05:05 PM)
you can consider leopold fc900r (full sized), or fc980m (a slightly compact layout with keypad).

leopold pd version normally comes with thick double-shot pbt caps (1.5mm thick), with a relatively better build quality. you can check it out at shopee
any back lighting on the keyboard? No RGB right?
niakulah
post Feb 20 2020, 02:14 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

QUOTE(Noob Boy 1996 @ Feb 20 2020, 01:57 PM)
No and no. To be fair to horns, you didn't mention that as a requirement.
Noob Boy 1996 P
post Feb 20 2020, 03:53 PM

Probation
25 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 20 2020, 02:14 PM)
Yeah sorry my bad. what about with backlit? any recommendation?
GRexer
post Feb 20 2020, 04:30 PM

RS444
Group Icon
VIP
3,814 posts

QUOTE(Lybrary @ Feb 19 2020, 02:39 PM)
Which type of housing does the Kailh brown you have uses? I actually often re-house my Gateron switches into Kailh switch housings to reduce wobble so this is kinda new to hear. The Kailh housings I used were the black Nylon type though.
nders
post Feb 20 2020, 05:07 PM

Age of lost direction
979 posts

Anyone here tried/using/used Holy Pandas before? seems to be one of the endgame switches, wonder how it compares to bog-standard Cherry MX switches?
niakulah
post Feb 20 2020, 05:36 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 18 2020, 05:43 PM)
So I done dumb dumb and bought the Hakko Presto and soldering tips, only to find that these tips do not fit this soldering iron.

I wanted to use a K type tip that is long enough to touch both switch pins at the same time so that you can easily remove them when desoldering. Turns out, there are NO K type tips for the Hakko Presto.  doh.gif

So what do you guys think?
1. Get the chisel tip for the Hakko Presto. Still way better than my current cheapo soldering iron. Both iron and tip will be Hakko! Spend another RM28. Give up on using a K type tip.
2. Get  this cheapo soldering iron that accepts 936 style K type tips that I already have. Also just another RM28.
3. Get a cheapish soldering station that accepts 936 style K type tips that I already have. Spend another RM85.
4. Don't cheap out and get the real deal. Spend another RM585
KBDFans have not resumed shipping yet, on Discord they said 2 weeks from 11/2/2020, so I have some time to decide on soldering equipment.

Here comes a new contender:
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/ksger-t1....4d5d49fbOAY6aR

Using the supposedly vastly superior T12 tips which are directly heated instead of using a ceramic heating element. With a good review as well:
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/t12-soldering-station.html

Decisions decisions. hmm.gif
niakulah
post Feb 20 2020, 05:43 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

QUOTE(Noob Boy 1996 @ Feb 20 2020, 03:53 PM)
Yeah sorry my bad. what about with backlit? any recommendation?
Durgod Taurus 310 Nebula, Ducky One 2, Ducky Shine 7
Lybrary P
post Feb 20 2020, 07:59 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(irsyadfy @ Feb 19 2020, 04:37 PM)
decent kalerful set will always be either TaiHao or any sets from TaoBao. priced affordably too.
been using them for a long time so decent enuff for me.
more expensive set is surely better, but u get the looks with this cheap sets.

n if u consider ePBT decent, still will set u back 200-300 for kikaps.  vmad.gif
so i never had them.
I was considering just getting a TaiHao set since they aren't super expensive and looks alright too. Maybe one day when I venture deep enough into this hobby I'll invest in a higher quality keycap set

QUOTE(GRexer @ Feb 20 2020, 04:30 PM)
Which type of housing does the Kailh brown you have uses? I actually often re-house my Gateron switches into Kailh switch housings to reduce wobble so this is kinda new to hear. The Kailh housings I used were the black Nylon type though.
The Kailh browns I have are black bottom housing and transparent top housing. Even just wiggling the switch stem side-by-side with a gateron yellow makes the difference noticeable enough. Maybe switch wobble is not the right term but rather stem wobble
horns
post Feb 21 2020, 12:16 AM

\m/
3,017 posts

QUOTE(Noob Boy 1996 @ Feb 20 2020, 01:57 PM)
what niakulah said, no and no smile.gif

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 20 2020, 02:14 PM)
it's fine biggrin.gif i will still suggest leopold models for a number of reasons:

1. in terms of value for money, imo leopold is one of the better options. the overall build quality is good; the stabilizers are well-tuned; the pd version has a good set of thick double-shot pbt stock key caps. (normally you need to pay more to get sets with qualities like this)
2. imo switches with normal nylon housings produce relatively better typing feel and sound, compared to those with clear/hard housings, like those that support rgb. switch top wobbles are relatively common for cherry mx rgb. (this will cause inconsistency in feel and sound)

i have commercial boards with backlight and rgb. after a week or two, they are turned off all the times.
TSquovadis123
post Feb 21 2020, 07:34 PM

www.storeuni.com
2,882 posts

QUOTE(nders @ Feb 20 2020, 05:07 PM)
Anyone here tried/using/used Holy Pandas before? seems to be one of the endgame switches, wonder how it compares to bog-standard Cherry MX switches?
No end game. It's illusion that certain switch is bestest. It's just buying for new experience.

For Holy Panda (Invyr), and Yok panda (Halo switch + Yok Black mod) also tested before. The POM housing sound is crunchy when bottoming, sounds very nice. But, really up to preference.
If you like it, you like it.
If compare with Cherry MX switches like silent red, black, vintage black, then it's totally different experience. Cherry 1 is more silent, and muffled.
P.S: Both Cherry and Panda are lubed when i tested it.

Still regarding end game, you can end game with any board, any price, even sub RM 150, as long as you want to end game.
Sole X
post Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Getting Started
207 posts

Hi guys. Anyone know where to get a good travelling case for keyboards? Feel like bringing my keyboard whenever I need to travel for work.
Azureknight94
post Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Regular
1,330 posts

Out of curiousity, anyone know if the Shopee sellers selling "codes" for the razer huntsman elite are legit? These codes are like half the price of normal sweat.gif saw a couple of reviews that claim its legit
kl920930
post Today, 12:07 PM

mr. minibosskl
1,155 posts

my current newly bought hiragana keycaps setup. what do you guys think? biggrin.gif

user posted image

95 Pages « < 93 94 95Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0396sec    3.19    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th February 2020 - 06:04 PM