Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Possible to blow an underseat subwoofer?

views

TSJumpingJack
post Mar 6 2018, 11:30 PM, updated 7y ago

On my way
594 posts

Is it possible to blow an underseat subwoofer?

As far as I know, underseat subs have built-in amps that should match its own sub power rating. So theoratically, cranking the sub gain all the way max shouldn't kill it?

Pardon newbie ICEer here thanks.
djandrew
post Mar 13 2018, 03:50 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

hardly can blow up, underseat sub cone is shallow mount type. i think the casing will blow up first before the cone lol
6UE5T
post Mar 13 2018, 06:40 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(JumpingJack @ Mar 6 2018, 11:30 PM)
Is it possible to blow an underseat subwoofer?

As far as I know, underseat subs have built-in amps that should match its own sub power rating. So theoratically, cranking the sub gain all the way max shouldn't kill it?

Pardon newbie ICEer here thanks.
You can still burn the sub voice coils if you turn up your HU volume until too loud and distortion.
Gain should be set to match the voltage gain of the HU so that the volume control of the HU is more or less inline with the gain on the power amp, this is called gain matching. If I remember correctly, a good audio installer may use some voltage measurement/meter to set this properly. There's a method to do it manually too without any measurement, hence many also just use ear coz their ears are used to it already. (I also only use ear last time when I set mine).

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Mar 13 2018, 06:41 PM
TSJumpingJack
post Mar 13 2018, 08:12 PM

On my way
594 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Mar 13 2018, 06:40 PM)
You can still burn the sub voice coils if you turn up your HU volume until too loud and distortion.
Gain should be set to match the voltage gain of the HU so that the volume control of the HU is more or less inline with the gain on the power amp, this is called gain matching. If I remember correctly, a good audio installer may use some voltage measurement/meter to set this properly. There's a method to do it manually too without any measurement, hence many also just use ear coz their ears are used to it already. (I also only use ear last time when I set mine).
Thanks for the info!
Any powered sub you recommend? Looking for more thump than my current el-cheapo sub. biggrin.gif
Can't get a regular 12" driver since iriz so tiny sad.gif
6UE5T
post Mar 13 2018, 10:48 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(JumpingJack @ Mar 13 2018, 08:12 PM)
Thanks for the info!
Any powered sub you recommend? Looking for more thump than my current el-cheapo sub. biggrin.gif
Can't get a regular 12" driver since iriz so tiny sad.gif
I also only use el-cheapo 10' under seat powered subs, brand MBQ, but I got 2, one under each front seat. So for me the bass is enough even though of course cannot match those big box subs with dedicated power amp. smile.gif I just turn the volume up to 20 or over if I want it loud enough to have some shake. laugh.gif

In the olden days, my friend used to have a American made 8' SAS Bazooka powered tube sub in his trunk and that thing kicked pretty hard too despite not big box. Don't know if they still exist or not, and where to buy here in Malaysia.
TSJumpingJack
post Mar 13 2018, 11:42 PM

On my way
594 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Mar 13 2018, 10:48 PM)
I also only use el-cheapo 10' under seat powered subs, brand MBQ, but I got 2, one under each front seat. So for me the bass is enough even though of course cannot match those big box subs with dedicated power amp.  smile.gif  I just turn the volume up to 20 or over if I want it loud enough to have some shake.  laugh.gif

In the olden days, my friend used to have a American made 8' SAS Bazooka powered tube sub in his trunk and that thing kicked pretty hard too despite not big box. Don't know if they still exist or not, and where to buy here in Malaysia.
Thought about your idea about 2 subs too! But no place to place amp after that hahaha biggrin.gif

Actually tube amp you can find one at xciteaudio website. Their shop at Ara Damansara. They sell pioneer tube amps. Check out link below smile.gif

https://www.xciteaudio.com/car-audio-malays...r=ASC&limit=100
6UE5T
post Mar 14 2018, 12:45 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(JumpingJack @ Mar 13 2018, 11:42 PM)
Thought about your idea about 2 subs too! But no place to place amp after that hahaha biggrin.gif

Actually tube amp you can find one at xciteaudio website. Their shop at Ara Damansara. They sell pioneer tube amps. Check out link below smile.gif

https://www.xciteaudio.com/car-audio-malays...r=ASC&limit=100
Well the underseat subs already include power amps so for me I don't need to add another power amp coz I don't separately power my satellite/component set speakers (they're just driven directly from the HU). If you want to power the satellite speakers with power amps too then yeah no place to put them anymore.

I know got other brands like Pioneer, JBL, or Kenwood to name a few but the tube sub I had heard that kicks pretty hard back then and was quite popular was the SAS Bazooka brand. I think they're the one who kinda popularize the tube sub the first time. Now don't know if this brand still exist in business or who sell them here.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0252sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:21 AM