Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Service center vs Outside mechanic, which you use?

views

SUSMatrix
post May 9 2007, 01:51 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(dzinergy @ May 8 2007, 08:24 AM)
I go to EON service center, and everytime the bill is RM400 to RM1200 (depanding on what service)

But heck, I rather pay more for reliability.

The last time I went to a outside mechanic, on the next day, I have engine all leaking all over the place. Then to find out that they didn't screw the bottom nut tight

I travel a lot (average 5K+ KM per month), and it is a no joke to reliability. At least I sleep better when I go Service center
Not neccessary...last time send my Sephia to SC...engine leaking oil due to nut not screw tightly...somemore i was outstation, luckily my sister came over to my house, notice it and slowly drive my car to the nearest petrol station to put in engine oil!!!

All the same...if ur unlucky and kena a lepak mechanic...die-lor.

This post has been edited by Matrix: May 9 2007, 01:53 PM
Jason
post May 9 2007, 04:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

given the choice, under warranty i will go to authorized SC, to avoid any problems for warranty coverage. especially cause i'm driving a local manufactured car which is bound to face problems.

luckily, the authorized SC i go to is doing an awesome job, so i intend to stay with them. FYI they prepare rally cars for the manufacturer...so they are good at what they do, plus I can stand next to my car looking at every move they make.
dzinergy
post May 9 2007, 04:18 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ May 9 2007, 01:51 PM)
Not neccessary...last time send my Sephia to SC...engine leaking oil due to nut not screw tightly...somemore i was outstation, luckily my sister came over to my house, notice it and slowly drive my car to the nearest petrol station to put in engine oil!!!

All the same...if ur unlucky and kena a lepak mechanic...die-lor.
True. These things happened everywhere (if unluckly)

Of course there are ways to prevent such human error.

I would suggest that Service Center to have a optional double check policy. I don't mind to pay extra for such reliability.
Pro-MX
post May 9 2007, 04:25 PM

Izay
1,259 posts

Added on May 9, 2007, 4:25 pm
QUOTE(Jason @ May 9 2007, 04:10 PM)
given the choice, under warranty i will go to authorized SC, to avoid any problems for warranty coverage. especially cause i'm driving a local manufactured car which is bound to face problems.

luckily, the authorized SC i go to is doing an awesome job, so i intend to stay with them. FYI they prepare rally cars for the manufacturer...so they are good at what they do, plus I can stand next to my car looking at every move they make.
what car are u driving? and which sc do u go for servicing?

This post has been edited by Pro-MX: May 9 2007, 04:25 PM
TSmurphyslaw
post May 9 2007, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

If can stand next to SC mechanic, then it's ok .... can see if they lepak or cheat in anything.

Which SC you go to, that allows such?

I can't imagine all the customers standing and watching..... unless you are friend friend with them.

People tend to think that their car is in good hands and serviced in all areas, when send to SC .... but in actual fact, they just do the basic and simplest.... change oil and charge more than RM50 service charge ..... eg. if they never bother to check and pump your tyres (especially the spare tyre), what guarantee they will check the other areas?

QUOTE(Jason @ May 9 2007, 04:10 PM)

ceo684
post May 9 2007, 07:34 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(murphyslaw @ May 9 2007, 07:09 PM)
If can stand next to SC mechanic, then it's ok .... can see if they lepak or cheat in anything.

I can't imagine all the customers standing and watching..... unless you are friend friend with them.

People tend to think that their car is in good hands and serviced in all areas, when send to SC .... but in actual fact, they just do the basic and simplest.... change oil and charge more than RM50 service charge ..... eg. if they never bother to check and pump your tyres (especially the spare tyre), what guarantee they will check the other areas?
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Soulsareworthless
post May 9 2007, 07:48 PM

Madridista
3,413 posts

QUOTE(murphyslaw @ May 9 2007, 07:09 PM)

Good point. biggrin.gif tongue.gif
LoveMeNot
post May 9 2007, 08:30 PM

Live . Laugh . Love
1,710 posts

what about kancil? SC or outside mechanic ? me blur blur ler
jimmylim85
post May 9 2007, 08:40 PM

iPhone world....
7,665 posts

i prefer outside mechanic (cheap and does the job same) but some minor stuff i fix it myself.
mensa
post May 9 2007, 09:05 PM

Casual
487 posts

depends on the SC itself..once i had an experience where there some problem regarding my gearbox oil. There some leaking happen and i'm so pissed when be informed that this proton sc used local gasket when servicing my gearbox..

since that i never trust any proton sc except from glenmarie SC
zeist
post May 9 2007, 09:44 PM

Mivec 1800cc
All Stars
15,182 posts

QUOTE(murphyslaw @ May 8 2007, 12:44 AM)
I don't seem to trust service centers. Everything done behind closed doors, charge this and that, and problems not solved despite waiting and resending.

Advantage of outside mechanics :-
1) customers can see mechanic at work and parts removed/replaced
2) cheaper service charge
3) got more options for oem, local/import parts, originals ie. cheaper

What you think? Keep sending back to service center?
Price 25% higher too.
DaViDcHiN
post May 9 2007, 10:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,718 posts

Oh, luckily i c ur treand, I choose outside mechanic...

I know a mechanic as my dad is his loyal customer, so I always talk to him when he is servicing my car or my dad's car, he thaught me a lot of things about car, haha...
xyoshix
post May 10 2007, 02:32 AM

Getting Started
214 posts

Warranty period = SC
Non Warranty = Outside
thom_chai
post May 10 2007, 11:38 AM

Regular
1,830 posts

I change the oil and filter myself smile.gif Can save lotsa money biggrin.gif

Change to: