Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

135LC v2 4S rear disc conversion

views

TSsirz1990
post Feb 25 2018, 01:13 AM, updated 7y ago

0 posts

Hi guys have any one of you successfully convert 135LC v2 4 Speed rear drum brake to disc? I mean standard 135 LC 5 Speed disc system, not 125Z one. The thing is I want a totally standard 5 speed rear disc brake look, nothing more, with the wide rims and tire.

What I have now:

1. Calliper
2. Master cylinder
3. Pedal
4. Disc
5. Hose

I've yet to buy the smaller things like the screws and whatnot I'm planning to get it sometimes next month.

By the way, all the above parts I've bought at Yamaha Sg Buloh, standard LC 5S parts.

To mount the calliper, I know I probably need to have the mechanic drill and weld the nut to the swing arm if I want to achieve standard look, or I could buy a bracket (ugly)
Or should I buy 5S swing arm?
I was afraid new swing arm requires me to buy a new hugger too. It's not gonna stop there.

And how to securely mount the master cylinder to the chassis?

The above parts already cost me RM500+ but my emphasis is safety and I don't want to skimp on it. I know I could get a local one cost like RM200. Not gonna risk it though.
Primary focus totally standard indistinguishable 5S rear disc brake look.
Btw I also already have 5S rims

You guys have any opinion?

This post has been edited by sirz1990: Feb 25 2018, 01:14 AM
PedangGila
post Feb 25 2018, 02:33 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Imo, rather than focusing on the rear which could resulted in constant misalignment due to insecure foundation, try upgrade the front. I've seen a lot of chaps having problem with this chop and bolt method. Even a factory design, although a rare occasion, will end up in failure. I have to change mine because the original failed after just two years, maybe because of previous accident but in fact I rarely use rear brake.
TSsirz1990
post Feb 25 2018, 10:59 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(PedangGila @ Feb 25 2018, 02:33 PM)
Imo, rather than focusing on the rear which could resulted in constant misalignment due to insecure foundation, try upgrade the front. I've seen a lot of chaps having problem with this chop and bolt method. Even a factory design, although a rare occasion, will end up in failure. I have to change mine because the original failed after just two years, maybe because of previous accident but in fact I rarely use rear brake.
I don't know about that though, I used rear brake pretty especially carrying my wife, but not as often as the front lah for sure. Kinda afraid to meddle with the front though since it's the primary brake.
s@ni
post Mar 4 2018, 01:56 PM

Gambar Di Lesen Kereta Saya
2,814 posts

QUOTE(sirz1990 @ Feb 25 2018, 10:59 PM)
I don't know about that though, I used rear brake pretty especially carrying my wife, but not as often as the front lah for sure. Kinda afraid to meddle with the front though since it's the primary brake.
I've done it. U should read in 135lc thread instead of opening a new thread.

Got plug and play type. Using it at my jb motorcycle. U still need to have rear rim compatible with disc.. Can buy used from 5s 135lc or new from any shop.

And my next project for my kl bike will be using original Yamaha.. Like your explanation at the first place. I just bought used 5s rear rim.. Others not yet. Simpan duit dulu
xviiviiixiv
post Mar 4 2018, 02:06 PM

0 posts

I'm using v1 and converted mine to rear disc brake.

1st try, my rim was drilled through and the disc was mounted with bolts and screws. My swingarm was drilled through to stop the caliper from moving around. There's a bolt stopping it.

2nd try, same rim and disc. For the swingarm, it was welded with the bolt stopper instead.

Results for both: It works alright but not perfect and dangerous. The disc is not center so it's always knocking into the caliper. The swingarm wobbles at high speed.

I removed everything and changed to X1R swingarm, caliper and 125z RCB rim. Now no problem.
man_sate
post Mar 8 2018, 10:53 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(sirz1990 @ Feb 25 2018, 01:13 AM)
Hi guys have any one of you successfully convert 135LC v2 4 Speed rear drum brake to disc? I mean standard 135 LC 5 Speed disc system, not 125Z one. The thing is I want a totally standard 5 speed rear disc brake look, nothing more, with the wide rims and tire.

What I have now:

1. Calliper
2. Master cylinder
3. Pedal
4. Disc
5. Hose
I've yet to buy the smaller things like the screws and whatnot I'm planning to get it sometimes next month.

By the way, all the above parts I've bought at Yamaha Sg Buloh, standard LC 5S parts.

To mount the calliper, I know I probably need to have the mechanic drill and weld the nut to the swing arm if I want to achieve standard look, or I could buy a bracket (ugly)
Or should I buy 5S swing arm?
I was afraid new swing arm requires me to buy a new hugger too. It's not gonna stop there.

And how to securely mount the master cylinder to the chassis?

The above parts already cost me RM500+ but my emphasis is safety and I don't want to skimp on it. I know I could get a local one cost like RM200. Not gonna risk it though.
Primary focus totally standard indistinguishable 5S rear disc brake look.
Btw I also already have 5S rims

You guys have any opinion?
Hi,
It's good to have original master pump, caliper and disc.
My recommendation is change hose to steel braided type because it will expand less then the original hose after 2-3 years of usage.

Don't know how you will do for caliper mounting because already try 2 method from making a bracket by myself and welding a screw at the swing arm.
Diy bracket tend to loose it shape because didn't have thick plate to make it. Welding will not accurate because you need to find a good spot to weld the screw, if to far or near from the swing arm end then you limit your adjustable chain movement.

Masterpump placing also need to place carefully. Before this, I diy it and it didn't perform well enough. I search for racing boy bracket masterpump only and it look miserable after install it. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Then I go buy 1 set of yteq rear disc brake and install master pump bracket and caliper bracket. Yteq masterpump bracket look is similar to 5s. Caliper bracket have 2 screw up and down to adjust front and back.

Yteq other's parts still in my stor room. laugh.gif
Yteq didn't sell the bracket separately, need to buy 1 set.

Use dot 4 for rear disc brake because dot 3 tend to auto-braking when the caliper is too hot.

Will update picture if I have time. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by man_sate: Mar 8 2018, 10:54 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:45 PM