Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Malaysia vs Korea vs Japan vs China, Safe, Reliable, Comfort, RV, Durable

views

SUSNew Klang
post Feb 23 2018, 08:49 AM, updated 7y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

I am shopping for a new car in 2018. I am staying away from Conti as Mercedes and BMW prices are out of my budget. I am saving money to invest in properties. Other Conti cars like VW, Skoda & Audi, French and Italian, Ford are well known for issues. So my targets are Japanese, Korean and local. I am open to cars from China if the reputation is solid.

My budget should be around 130K.

My priorities.

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Cost of ownership
4. Comfort
5. Resale Value after 5 years
6. Durable
7. Performance
8. Design

Design is the lowest priority as car designs changed so fast when new models emerge.

What car would you get for the budget?
sonic31s
post Feb 23 2018, 09:05 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

Mazda > all

This post has been edited by sonic31s: Feb 23 2018, 09:06 AM
rcracer
post Feb 23 2018, 09:09 AM

?????
3,743 posts

My summary

Mazda - premium Japanese , ahead of others
Honda , Toyota - standard old favorite , everybody has one , does the job , safety in numbers
Korean - kaput design like abstract art , still suffers badge beat down , brand perception

Cost wise , mazda top, Honda Toyota mid mass market , Korean maybe slightly cheaper
roocarroll
post Feb 23 2018, 09:20 AM

32 posts

Subaru Forester
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 23 2018, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Feb 23 2018, 09:09 AM)
My summary

Mazda - premium Japanese , ahead of others
Honda , Toyota - standard old favorite , everybody has one , does the job , safety in numbers
Korean - kaput design like abstract art , still suffers badge beat down , brand perception

Cost wise , mazda top, Honda Toyota mid mass market ,  Korean maybe slightly cheaper
I am following the new Honda models like CRV and Civic. Seems like problematic?

I think Toyota is still problem free, while I don't want Vios, I also don't want the Camry, this leave me no choice but the Altis at high price and low spec.
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 23 2018, 09:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(sonic31s @ Feb 23 2018, 09:05 AM)
Mazda > all
I know. Everything high spec including the tyres.
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 23 2018, 09:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(roocarroll @ Feb 23 2018, 09:20 AM)
Subaru Forester
I always like to look at Forester since the 1980s. Like station wagon and SUV mixed.
amscouzach57
post Feb 23 2018, 09:49 AM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Feb 23 2018, 08:49 AM)
I am shopping for a new car in 2018. I am staying away from Conti as Mercedes and BMW prices are out of my budget. I am saving money to invest in properties. Other Conti cars like VW, Skoda & Audi, French and Italian, Ford are well known for issues. So my targets are Japanese, Korean and local. I am open to cars from China if the reputation is solid.

My priorities.

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Cost of ownership
4. Comfort
6. Durable
7. Performance
8. Design

Design is the lowest priority as car designs changed so fast when new models emerge.
I would get the Subaru Forester. However, I never look into RV when I buy a car. It is more about the specs & personal curiosity
6UE5T
post Feb 23 2018, 08:04 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

My priorities.

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Cost of ownership
4. Comfort
6. Durable
7. Performance
8. Design

New car at this price range and relatively reliable won't go far from either the Mazda 3 or the Civic Turbo.

Btw point no. 6 & 2 are basically the same.
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 23 2018, 10:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Feb 23 2018, 08:04 PM)
New car at this price range and relatively reliable won't go far from either the Mazda 3 or the Civic Turbo.

Btw point no. 6 & 2 are basically the same.
I look at durability from a viewpoint of suspension system absorbers, bushings and arm joints. When not functioning well, the stability and comfort is compromised. But this does not affect the reliability of the car works when you need it and it gives tell tale signs for me to plan a schedule maintenance.
Ginny88
post Feb 23 2018, 11:12 PM

Regular
1,032 posts

My priorities.

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Cost of ownership
4. Comfort
6. Durable
7. Performance
8. Design

2 and 3 are basically the same. They are closely interrelated. That makes 2, 3 and 6 basically the same.

You can also drop 4. At this price range you are limited to C-segments and there is not much difference in comfort between them. To get a comfortable car you need to go to D-segment.

If you are keeping for at least 5 years and already ruled out Conti cars forget about 5. There are differences in resale value between brands but no so much that it should influence your decision. This is true even between Jap and Korean C-segments. I'm excluding China cars as it is an unlikely candidate.

Why no priority for fuel economy? Company paying your petrol is it?

This post has been edited by Ginny88: Feb 23 2018, 11:14 PM
6UE5T
post Feb 23 2018, 11:51 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Feb 23 2018, 10:57 PM)
I look at durability from a viewpoint of suspension system absorbers, bushings and arm joints. When not functioning well, the stability and comfort is compromised. But this does not affect the reliability of the car works when you need it and it gives tell tale signs for me to plan a schedule maintenance.
When people talk about cars being reliable, it covers for everything to be durable/long lasting, including suspension. If you mean the suspension last long/durable that means the suspension has good reliability too. If you mean the suspension can take a beating on rough roads, then that is ruggedness/strength like an SUV suspension.
dazi87
post Feb 24 2018, 12:27 AM

9 posts

Mazda 3 > Altis > Civic turbo > Elantra turbo
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 24 2018, 10:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(dazi87 @ Feb 24 2018, 12:27 AM)
Mazda 3 > Altis > Civic turbo > Elantra turbo
Where is Kia?
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 24 2018, 10:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Feb 23 2018, 11:51 PM)
When people talk about cars being reliable, it covers for everything to be durable/long lasting, including suspension. If you mean the suspension last long/durable that means the suspension has good reliability too. If you mean the suspension can take a beating on rough roads, then that is ruggedness/strength like an SUV suspension.
YES. Built to take road punishment, overloading.

SUSNew Klang
post Feb 24 2018, 10:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Feb 23 2018, 11:12 PM)
2 and 3 are basically the same. They are closely interrelated. That makes 2, 3 and 6 basically the same.

You can also drop 4. At this price range you are limited to C-segments and there is not much difference in comfort between them. To get a comfortable car you need to go to D-segment.

If you are keeping for at least 5 years and already ruled out Conti cars forget about 5. There are differences in resale value between brands but no so much that it should influence your decision. This is true even between Jap and Korean C-segments. I'm excluding China cars as it is an unlikely candidate.

Why no priority for fuel economy? Company paying your petrol is it?
Are you sure after 5 years Japs and Koreans are same RV? I think Vios has good RV. Not sure about the Altis.

I heard Kia Forte has good RV.
andrekua2
post Feb 25 2018, 09:41 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Feb 24 2018, 10:35 PM)
Are you sure after 5 years Japs and Koreans are same RV? I think Vios has good RV. Not sure about the Altis.

I heard Kia Forte has good RV.
I think he's saying there's difference but not that it matters that much. Quite true.

Honestly buying Koreans will be cheaper and usually comes with free service up to 60k/3 years. Servicing lesser loans but RV will hurt. You'll also pay less for insurance since rv drop so much.

However one needs to know how to find the right person to get the so called good deal when it comes to koreans. Most of them operated under the same umbrella in klang valley thus have price fixing. You'll need to reach those dealer outside of klang valley to get good deals.
andrekua2
post Feb 25 2018, 09:45 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

My priorities.

1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Cost of ownership
4. Comfort
6. Durable
7. Performance
8. Design

Ask yourself if you're going to change car in 5 years time. If yes then I think you don't think too much and just grab T or H. Both have better resale value. The other questions are usually for one that plan to keep the car for a very long time.
dazi87
post Feb 25 2018, 07:09 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Feb 24 2018, 10:29 PM)
Where is Kia?
Ops, i forgot kia
amad108
post Feb 26 2018, 09:50 AM

too much of something is bad enough
998 posts

Toyota Altis 2.0 full spec CBU..
Mazda 3 hatchback ?
Honda HRV high spec

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version