Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Bike recommendation for 1st time riding Uncle, budget around 10k

views

TSdudester
post Feb 20 2018, 10:25 PM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
811 posts

Hi,
I need recommendation for a bike for a new rider (getting bike licence soon). I have over 20 years driving experience but yet 0 years riding experience.
I plan to initially use the bike around the neighborhood for convenience, and later if I gain enough confidence to office in KL city from Kepong.

I am attracted by the following attributes:
1) Resale value - may sell it after 1 2 years
2) Easy maintenance
3) I like those bikes I've seen that are low with thick wheels
4) Digital display, electronic start
5) Budget around 10k below.
6) Contradicting no1 & 3, I may consider it as a ride to MRT station for future, so it should not be attraction to thief...

I've looked at Benelli , Vespa (not fit above) ..so I think it would have to be Japanese brands.
I've also considered minimal entry models that cost 5-7 but wish I can buy something to enjoy in mean time.

Thank you and much appreciated!

TSdudester
post Feb 20 2018, 10:59 PM

Enthusiast
811 posts

QUOTE(kipas_lipas @ Feb 20 2018, 10:44 PM)
Yamaha 135lc, Yamaha Y15R, Honda RS150, Benelli RFS150i, Modenas v15, Modenas Pulsar 200.. how good are you with clutch bike?
I am virgin to bikes... bicycle balancing still okay. Clutch..if have a choice prefer auto if there's such a thing.
TSdudester
post Feb 20 2018, 11:29 PM

Enthusiast
811 posts

Was thinking of bikes like these...any feedbacks?Attached Image Attached Image
Eilrach
post Feb 21 2018, 12:35 AM

10 posts

You may consider the Yamaha NVX. its an automatic scooter with a bit of focus on sportiness. Has push start button so its slightly harder to steal. Performance is quite adequate as well and it comes with ABS which is an important safety feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0KPf6wBWlM

This post has been edited by Eilrach: Feb 21 2018, 12:36 AM
basilisk
post Feb 21 2018, 01:48 AM

30 posts

nowadays any nice looking bike, good resale value, popular bikes will attract thieves.
TSdudester
post Feb 21 2018, 09:07 AM

Enthusiast
811 posts

QUOTE(kipas_lipas @ Feb 21 2018, 12:11 AM)
you know that the bike is really small? like literally small;thats why they called it mini-bike.. and both of them have clutch.. my suggestion, go for scooter.. but from what i see, u're not kapcai/moped style.. if your budget quite tight, just go for modenas.

Modenas
V15 : RM 5,989+
Oh Yes! After closer browsing , these bikes are more hobbyist!
Thanks Modenas V15 is a great recommendation! Really like the looks and price!

QUOTE(Eilrach @ Feb 21 2018, 12:35 AM)
You may consider the Yamaha NVX. its an automatic scooter with a bit of focus on sportiness. Has push start button so its slightly harder to steal. Performance is quite adequate as well and it comes with ABS which is an important safety feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0KPf6wBWlM
Thanks! The Yamaha NVX may be what I need ..seems to have all the nice new safety features!
BuncitPesonawan
post Feb 22 2018, 11:06 AM

Getting Started
142 posts

LC135 auto clutch is the best, as you are not used to manual clutch. High resale value.
TSdudester
post Feb 22 2018, 11:46 AM

Enthusiast
811 posts

QUOTE(BuncitPesonawan @ Feb 22 2018, 11:06 AM)
LC135 auto clutch is the best, as you are not used to manual clutch. High resale value.
Thanks for this. I noticed this is quite a popular bike.
However at 7K I think its quite over priced in comparison to whats available. 10k NVX would be much better value.
I am being fickle and intend to over come the clutch in learning school.
Since taking the interest, I am tempted by the followings...

1) Modenas v15 (6k) - really like this for the design and price , but I am worried about the quality of the brand. Probably no resale value but I dont need to spend so much yet lose probably 1k/year which will be same when I sell any 8k-10k bikes.
2) Benelli tnt 135 (8k) - this appeal to my sporty side and also possibly easier to sell off then the above... local distributor seems to be committing to after sale services but I have to ride the real thing to judge the size
3) Y15Zr (9-11k) - this seems to be the favorite among all, it would be good resale and popular, but personally the design is not my liking ... but I know it would be practical.
4) KTM Duke 250 (20K) - Love this.. but not likely. horrible resale value.. something to consider used if I developed interest in full time riding.

Thanks again. Look forward for more advise and recommendation.
BuncitPesonawan
post Feb 22 2018, 02:17 PM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(dudester @ Feb 22 2018, 11:46 AM)
Thanks for this. I noticed this is quite a popular bike.
However at 7K I think its quite over priced in comparison to whats available. 10k NVX would be much better value.
I am being fickle and intend to over come the clutch in learning school.
Since taking the interest, I am tempted by the followings...

1) Modenas v15 (6k) - really like this for the design and price , but I am worried about the quality of the brand. Probably no resale value but I dont need to spend so much yet lose probably 1k/year which will be same when I sell any 8k-10k bikes.
2) Benelli tnt 135 (8k) - this appeal to my sporty side and also possibly easier to sell off then the above... local distributor seems to be committing to after sale services but I have to ride the real thing to judge the size
3) Y15Zr (9-11k) - this seems to be the favorite among all, it would be good resale and popular, but personally the design is not my liking ... but I know it would be practical.
4) KTM Duke 250 (20K) - Love this.. but not likely. horrible resale value.. something to consider used if I developed interest in full time riding.

Thanks again. Look forward for more advise and recommendation.
i see.. well as a Y15ZR user, i'd suggest you to go for it. Damn nice feeling once you ride it brother. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
TSdudester
post Feb 22 2018, 02:21 PM

Enthusiast
811 posts

QUOTE(BuncitPesonawan @ Feb 22 2018, 02:17 PM)
i see.. well as a Y15ZR user, i'd suggest you to go for it. Damn nice feeling once you ride it brother. thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
Saw my colleague's ride..its the blue one with Movie edition... must say it looks nicer in real.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.17    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:02 AM