Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

No working experience for 7 years, Can I get hired?

views

TSmatches_malone
post Feb 18 2018, 11:12 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
54 posts

Hello guys. I run a rental business of my own properties since I graduated in 2011 (Have a degree in accounting) but since the pay of my rental business is good (7k monthly), I didn't went and find a job other than managing my properties and I also sell items on eBay and never looked back. My family is thinking of moving to Subang so I decided to hire someone to manage the property and maybe get a job in Subang since I will have nothing much to do.

My question is, do I sound like someone companies would hire? I don't mind the pay because I already have a stable income, but I've never worked for a company or under anyone before thus my resume will be unattractive. Any opinions on the matter or tips? Thanks!
DatoChin
post Feb 18 2018, 11:31 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

Who cares about working experience when you're only looking for entry level job.

Also, don't tell your employer you already have stable income from renting, else the employer will treats you as someone who will not be serious at the job.

This advise is coming from someone that have stable 10k income from renting (me). My day job earn 4k plus in mid 30. Those that dunno my financial status will treat me like a low achiever, but actually jokes on them. I led a stress free and hopefully long healthy life.

This post has been edited by DatoChin: Feb 18 2018, 11:37 PM
TSmatches_malone
post Feb 18 2018, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(DatoChin @ Feb 18 2018, 11:31 PM)
Who cares about working experience when you're only looking for entry level job.

Also, don't tell your employer you already have stable income from renting, else the employer will treats you as someone who will not be serious at the job.

This advise is coming from someone that have stable 10k income from renting (me). My day job earn 4k plus in mid 30. Those that dunno my financial status will treat me like a low achiever, but actually jokes on them. I led a stress free and hopefully long healthy life.
Wow, thanks for the insight!

Yes, same case with me. I already have an income from leases and eBay selling, but I'm just looking for experience. But if you say I should not mention my rental business, how do I explain what I've been doing the past 7 years after graduating? Can't I just tell them that I'm a looking for experience and I'm serious for the job?
Jetsonkoh
post Feb 19 2018, 12:02 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(matches_malone @ Feb 18 2018, 11:43 PM)
Wow, thanks for the insight!

Yes, same case with me. I already have an income from leases and eBay selling, but I'm just looking for experience. But if you say I should not mention my rental business, how do I explain what I've been doing the past 7 years after graduating? Can't I just tell them that I'm a looking for experience and I'm serious for the job?
I think it's okay for you to mention about your own business that you're running for the past few years and justify your reason why you're looking for a job at the moment. Of coz, don't mention about how much you earned from your renting/ e-bay business la
TSmatches_malone
post Feb 19 2018, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(Jetsonkoh @ Feb 19 2018, 12:02 PM)
I think it's okay for you to mention about your own business that you're running for the past few years and justify your reason why you're looking for a job at the moment. Of coz, don't mention about how much you earned from your renting/ e-bay business la
Thank you very much! What do you think would be the cons if I accidentally mentioned it? They won't take my application as being serious?
Jetsonkoh
post Feb 19 2018, 12:37 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(matches_malone @ Feb 19 2018, 12:29 PM)
Thank you very much! What do you think would be the cons if I accidentally mentioned it? They won't take my application as being serious?
It really depends on the interviewers tbh. Your commitment to the company will be one of the concern of theirs i believe, so it's up to you to justify why you're looking for a permanent job at the moment. You can either be honest to them, or just make up a reason that sounds legit
joshgm_119
post Feb 19 2018, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

Depending on the organization, you may end up having to disclose external business activities, so you may as well come clean.

Some may take it the wrong way, i.e. but my personal opinion is that honesty is best. Rather than being busted later on and landing yourself in an uncomfortable situation with your employers.

Cheers
J
Kilohertz
post Feb 20 2018, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,172 posts

Do you already have an answer if your future employer asked you what were you been doing for the past 7 years? if yes, you're good to go biggrin.gif
TSmatches_malone
post Feb 20 2018, 01:27 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(Jetsonkoh @ Feb 19 2018, 12:37 PM)
It really depends on the interviewers tbh. Your commitment to the company will be one of the concern of theirs i believe, so it's up to you to justify why you're looking for a permanent job at the moment. You can either be honest to them, or just make up a reason that sounds legit
QUOTE(joshgm_119 @ Feb 19 2018, 12:48 PM)
Depending on the organization, you may end up having to disclose external business activities, so you may as well come clean.

Some may take it the wrong way, i.e. but my personal opinion is that honesty is best. Rather than being busted later on and landing yourself in an uncomfortable situation with your employers.

Cheers
J
QUOTE(TheRealist @ Feb 19 2018, 01:18 PM)
If I were you since I do not have the pressure to work,  I would find other ways to generate more money. Sometimes,  work can make you lose your creativity.
Thanks for the answers guys. If I just graduated 7 years ago then yes, I really need the job but now I'm financially stable and got nothing much to do, I might as well get a job since I'm not married and have no commitments.

QUOTE(Kilohertz @ Feb 20 2018, 11:05 AM)
Do you already have an answer if your future employer asked you what were you been doing for the past 7 years? if yes, you're good to go biggrin.gif
Will "I've been leasing properties despite having a degree" would do?

s|dE
post Feb 20 2018, 01:37 PM

Out Of My Mind
715 posts

If I were you, I would not jump to become worker to someone else. Try to spend most of your time by expanding your portfolio..

Freelance might useful to kill your free time if you're bored.
ashkip
post Feb 20 2018, 11:48 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

Similar things happen to my fellow candidates during interview session, he told us he got business here and there and making a profit of 10k per month. All of us were impressed with his talks. Then a interviewer asked one question that makes him stuttered, "if you already have high income sources, why u want this 3k job? You are downgrading urself" He said that he want to get experiences, expands business skills and bla bla bla. Then my impression changed from "Wow" to "....mehhh. this guy will quit his job if he got bored". In the end of the day, only three candidates were chosen, two fresh grads (including me), and another one who have 1 year exp. The business guy was not chosen.

QUOTE(s|dE @ Feb 20 2018, 01:37 PM)
If I were you, I would not jump to become worker to someone else. Try to spend most of your time by expanding your portfolio..

Yeah, s|dE is right, better do freelance job rather than full time working under a company.

nexona88
post Feb 21 2018, 08:16 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,840 posts

Your commitments towards the company would be issues..

Some might think u come just for fun only..

Personally.. I think u should find ways to make more $$ by using your existing resources...

knwong
post Feb 21 2018, 09:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,953 posts

"Why do you want this job?" It's going to be a 99% certain being asked in any interview. Here's how I answer it in my previous interviews:

1. I'm a high achiever and always on the lookout to build up my skills. This client facing role will help me to achieve it

2. My work has started to become routine and I'm looking for bigger responsibilities in my next phase of career. Example of bigger responsibility would be something like regional scope or bigger portfolio

When asked what you've been doing for the past 7 years, you can always mention that you've been helping with family business.

When asked how much rental income you've been earning just say you want to keep it private

When asked how much salary you want, just say you leave it up to them as long as it's on par with market rate.

Just stay up beat and project some confidence when you go for interview.
Ms Americano L
post Feb 21 2018, 03:01 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(matches_malone @ Feb 18 2018, 11:12 PM)
Hello guys. I run a rental business of my own properties since I graduated in 2011 (Have a degree in accounting) but since the pay of my rental business is good (7k monthly), I didn't went and find a job other than managing my properties and I also sell items on eBay and never looked back. My family is thinking of moving to Subang so I decided to hire someone to manage the property and maybe get a job in Subang since I will have nothing much to do.

My question is, do I sound like someone companies would hire? I don't mind the pay because I already have a stable income, but I've never worked for a company or under anyone before thus my resume will be unattractive. Any opinions on the matter or tips? Thanks!
i think companies will consider if u have the right attitude
Kilohertz
post Feb 21 2018, 04:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,172 posts

QUOTE(matches_malone @ Feb 20 2018, 01:27 PM)
Will "I've been leasing properties despite having a degree" would do?
You can try

TSmatches_malone
post Feb 21 2018, 05:49 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Feb 21 2018, 08:16 AM)
Your commitments towards the company would be issues..

Some might think u come just for fun only..

Personally.. I think u should find ways to make more $$ by using your existing resources...
QUOTE(Ms Americano L @ Feb 21 2018, 03:01 PM)
i think companies will consider if u have the right attitude
At the moment, I don't have much options, I sit at home doing house chores while selling stuff on eBay and having rental income come in since I hired someone to look after my properties. I do consider myself easygoing and pleasant to work with, I can be committed to tasks and my English is superb. I guess I'll leave it to any company that I'll eventually attend an interview if they think I'm worthy of the job, it's just the lack of experience is what worries me since a lot of my "acquaintances" who are making less than I am say I should just sit home and don't find a job because I already have a stable income.

QUOTE(ashkip @ Feb 20 2018, 11:48 PM)
Similar things happen to my fellow candidates during interview session, he told us he got business here and there and making a profit of 10k per month. All of us were impressed with his talks. Then a interviewer asked one question that makes him stuttered, "if you already have high income sources, why u want this 3k job? You are downgrading urself" He said that he want to get experiences, expands business skills and bla bla bla.  Then my impression changed from "Wow" to "....mehhh. this guy will quit his job if he got bored". In the end of the day, only three candidates were chosen, two fresh grads (including me), and another one who have 1 year exp. The business guy was not chosen.
Yeah, s|dE is right, better do freelance job rather than full time working under a company.
Noted, thanks! I'll try not to brag! tongue.gif

QUOTE(knwong @ Feb 21 2018, 09:47 AM)
"Why do you want this job?" It's going to be a 99% certain being asked in any interview. Here's how I answer it in my previous interviews:

1. I'm a high achiever and always on the lookout to build up my skills. This client facing role will help me to achieve it

2. My work has started to become routine and I'm looking for bigger responsibilities in my next phase of career. Example of bigger responsibility would be something like regional scope or bigger portfolio

When asked what you've been doing for the past 7 years, you can always mention that you've been helping with family business.

When asked how much rental income you've been earning just say you want to keep it private

When asked how much salary you want, just say you leave it up to them as long as it's on par with market rate.

Just stay up beat and project some confidence when you go for interview.
That's very helpful- I really appreciate it, thanks man!

yi1993x3
post Feb 22 2018, 02:16 PM

45 posts

Bro, I might be interested to hire you as a salesperson. Can you send me a whatsapp at 012-690 6608?

Malta
post Feb 23 2018, 06:11 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(TheRealist @ Feb 19 2018, 01:18 PM)
If I were you since I do not have the pressure to work,  I would find other ways to generate more money. Sometimes,  work can make you lose your creativity.

If I were you, I would do what they said quoted above. Since your business is doing quite well already, and the freedom to be your own boss and your own time, why do you want to come into the rat race? Going into corporate world you have to abide by the rules, listen to your boss, and many other things.

Those who are in the corporate world, waking up everyday dragging the body to work, seeing the faces of boss and colleagues, they are dying to get out of this to have own freedom, time and income from own business, but you terbalik, you want to go in pulak.
aspartame
post Feb 25 2018, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,165 posts

QUOTE(matches_malone @ Feb 18 2018, 11:12 PM)

How u managed to secure the properties and generate positive cash flow of 7k right out from school? Are these props fully paid now? Any prospective employer will be skeptical of your stable 10k income at such young age and yet looking for employment.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 PM