Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> State of Anime and Manga in Malaysia (General)

Far-Eastern
post Feb 11 2018, 02:25 AM, updated 9 months ago

Group: Newbie

Searched the forums and it have been 4 year since the last thread regarding Japanese manga distribution in malaysia. Might as well add in anime to propagate the discussions further. Just to be clear, I don't personally care about Malay translation or subs/dubs.

Part 1:manga
Since then Tora Aman and Comic House (& Chuang Yi) have filed for bankruptcy leaving the major official player to be Gempak_Starz which have been acquired by Kadokawa in that time period. But since they are almost exclusively publishing Kadokawa Shoten properties, we are only really obtaining Light Novels, which are still something.

I still buy Gempak's magazine & manga(Comics/GN/Whatever) but those are our local produce which is not a part of this discussion.

I haven't touch Kreko for over a decade(might do it this week/mont just to see their MO),but I just found out that they still exist and publishing. I have not the slightest clue of their current legality status, whether they remained the same as before or not.

regarding to store such as Kinokuniya, I am ware that they sell officially licensed manga there but since they are imported product they can be quite expensive. And I'm pretty sure that they don't have any malay language releases.

So I am way out of the loop for physically released manga locally so I was wondering if the members of this forum could enlighten me.

On to digital,
(realised after typing everything that the stuff in the spoiler are not really important to the discussion but still think that they are valid points.)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Part 2: Anime

Anime distribution is in a slightly better condition than manga. with Animax offering both a channel on Astro and VOD, & with Aniplus being available to OnTheGo subscribers, we at least have some options albeit still very limited. But we still do need an Astro subscription.

are malay dubs still a thing outside of Doraemon and Shin Chan?

I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on the selection there but at least somethings are worldwide but the amount that we get is still tiny compared to other regions.

Iflix is eh. amazon prime videos are available, but the fact that amazon prime is useless here, why even bother. other official site only offers old series. and Funimation and HiDIVE are non players.

Crunchyroll may seems not worth it at face value but Crunchyroll + VPN is still king.

Moving on to Movies,
we still get anime movies [thanks ODEX+GSC] (sometimes earlier than the US) but even then the screening are pathetic, at least get us 1 screening per state.

the DVD scene are also hilarious, filled with bootlegs and rips (lambaian filem anyone?), I'm not even sure if there are any malay sub Blu-Ray/DVD exist anymore. I feel more secure buying imports from japan (I suggest play-asia.com but you just use what you usually use) At least I'll feel like I am supporting the creators.

Before anyone said anything I know illegal sites exist.

I think I have said my piece. so on to you guys for thoughts and opinion.

sorry for a massive wall of text.

This post has been edited by Far-Eastern: Feb 14 2018, 12:32 PM
TheHitman47
post Feb 11 2018, 03:01 AM

Nuke
Group: Senior Member

Naruto was the last one for me, reading it with one of my hardcore friends. then he start buying the Naruto thick manga. dunno which publisher, shonnen jump or something. then after finish school i started to read it on the internet. now nothing.

Anime, currently watching Junji Ito Collection. the series just started this year. some hardcore junji ito fans dont like it. for me i think its great, probably doesnt give the same vibe as the manga but it wasnt that bad.
nazrul90
post Feb 11 2018, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Far-Eastern @ Feb 11 2018, 02:25 AM)
Physical books are in declining here. With Tora Aman and Ujang comics company shut down. There is no hope here. The light novels made by GempakStarz is really made for niche animemanga fans in Malaysia. At least that's the only way to get legal source. Can anyone confirm here whether they still use the broken Malay for translation? Because that would be turn off for me. Stopped buying Gempak magazines since 2010(a loyal reader since 2002)

Kreko legality is remained an issue here.
It looks like they steal scanlation copy and published it on their own and no sign on stopping. I surprised they can survive this long. FYI there were Kreko ripoff magazines published with Naruto manga and others mainstream manga on focus, and they died so fast.

I stopped buying Kreko since 2012(a loyal reader since 2004). Now having like 300 Kreko magazines sitting at home :/

We got anime TV channel thanks to Astro. But they still no give us HD channel for Animax. It is major turn off since they are now doing simulcast anime which is pretty much in HD. Occasionally we get some anime movies in Astro Box Office Movie like Kimi no Na Wa, Kancolle The Movie..

are malay dubs still a thing outside of Doraemon and Shin Chan?
Only for anime which target kids audiences. There are old anime that were aired in TV before get a redub like Digimon Adventure and DragonBall.
Malay dubbers are now more doing cartoon dub on Disney XD and Nickelodeon.

Spongebob malay dub is a best thing ever they have done.

Well better than nothing, we get warning from movie distributor to not screen any anime movie anymore because someone uploaded a camrip movie of one anime movie(SAO movie). Luckily they are still screening anime movies here. Latest movie on cinema should be Fate Stay Night Heaven Feels.

There is a thread here clarified that is NO LEGAL DVD OR BD ANIME here, even with our hologram original stickers pasted on it. Also most anime DVD or BD are extremely less in English subbed. You have to deal with raw Japanese media if you want to get directly from Japan.

Luckily nowadays most anime are now getting legal streaming/simulcast, killing fansubs. There is a chance company that get rights for anime streaming will make BD/DVD version but not expect too much because they more likely make English dubbed version BD/DVD than subbed.

This post has been edited by nazrul90: Feb 11 2018, 01:27 PM
Far-Eastern
post Feb 11 2018, 08:22 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(nazrul90 @ Feb 11 2018, 01:24 PM)
Kreko legality is remained an issue here.
It looks like they steal scanlation copy and published it on their own and no sign on stopping. I surprised they can survive this long. FYI there were Kreko ripoff magazines published with Naruto manga and others mainstream manga on focus, and they died so fast.
People keep buying them, so they kept making money, especially if they really are unofficial and doesn't have to pay for a license.

We got anime TV channel thanks to Astro. But they still no give us HD channel for Animax. It is major turn off since they are now doing simulcast anime which is pretty much in HD. Occasionally we get some anime movies in Astro Box Office Movie like Kimi no Na Wa, Kancolle The Movie..
Oh yeah, I forgotten about AOD and ABO, I remember seeing the latest Conan and Doraemon movie on the guide last time I was home.

Only for anime which target kids audiences. There are old anime that were aired in TV before get a redub like Digimon Adventure and DragonBall.
Malay dubbers are now more doing cartoon dub on Disney XD and Nickelodeon.

Spongebob malay dub is a best thing ever they have done.
Have you ever saw the grim adventures of billy & mandy malay dub on Cartoon Network? they took a ton of liberties in the translation and they made grim speak nogori, I find that somehow hilarious.

Well better than nothing, we get warning from movie distributor to not screen any anime movie anymore because someone uploaded a camrip movie of one anime movie(SAO movie). Luckily they are still screening anime movies here. Latest movie on cinema should be Fate Stay Night Heaven Feels.
I still have gripes with the people that tried (terribly) recording a movie, the BD/DVD will release soon after that and why people still watch camrips? smh.

There is a thread here clarified that is NO LEGAL DVD OR BD ANIME here, even with our hologram original stickers pasted on it. Also most anime DVD or BD are extremely less in English subbed. You have to deal with raw Japanese media if you want to get directly from Japan.

Luckily nowadays most anime are now getting legal streaming/simulcast, killing fansubs. There is a chance company that get rights for anime streaming will make BD/DVD version but not expect too much because they more likely make English dubbed version BD/DVD than subbed.
Softsubs are still possible if you know the how to,

Fun fact. Crunchyroll was build on fansubs initially

kenjixx
post Feb 14 2018, 03:37 PM

脳がふるえる
Group: Senior Member

movies
not just GSC and ODEX that's been distributing movies TGV, encore films and ATriNaga is also doing the same thing and they offer good shows too ..

anime
once awhile i open tv on weekend morning/afternoon there is dub version of anime targeting children. i remember seeing youkai watch in malay dub on ntv7 1-2 years ago.. and it feels like correct aspect ratio when stretch to fill up whole screen just not hd but still look good
Attached Image

local events
a great way to support content creator

all in all just support with whatever you can
ignore the bad stuff that will happen it will eventually died off just keep in mind dont do it.. educate if needed not forcing
support the good things that happen so that in future better things will come

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0617sec    8.79    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 12:24 PM