Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> how much can Twin 13A socket take?, for each socket?

views

Rusty Nail
post Feb 9 2018, 12:26 AM

Why am I still here?
4,782 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:19 AM)
normally if 1 spoil the other can still use. because internal wiring split to 2 sockets
bad idea. when one side of the socket is fried, it's the matter of time before the other part goes too. the melted plastic will cause loose connections and probably arching or short circuit
SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 12:28 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(Rusty Nail @ Feb 9 2018, 12:26 AM)
bad idea. when one side of the socket is fried, it's the matter of time before the other part goes too. the melted plastic will cause loose connections and probably arching or short circuit
nope.

that's not the reason
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 12:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Feb 9 2018, 12:23 AM)
normally when the spoilt is due to contact and built quality. a slight contact means you're going to heat up due to increase resistance and arc.

Normally twin sockets do not have fuse in the unit. I think you can ask the electrician to explain to you why he said so. The fuse is there to protect the circuit as well as to sacrifice itself. Its easier to replace the fuse than changing the whole wiring inside the wall.
are we sure sockets have fuse? we are talking about wall socket. not those square plug into wall socket (extension socket).

as far as i know plug & extension socket have fuse but not wall sockets.

i don't know how thick the connectors inside are, but surely thicker than 2.5mm2? just wire uses copper not sure connector uses what.

according to BS the total consumption should be no more than 20A combined. the test is runned based on 1 socket on 14A and 1 on 6A for 4 hours.

but Schneider says 13A rated so i'm not sure what they mean.
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Rusty Nail @ Feb 9 2018, 12:26 AM)
without knowing the spec i don't know. if the connectors are thin temperature will rise with higher load, which thens melts the plastic.

so i'm asking how much can each socket (or combined) actually take?

because i believe this has never been stated by any manufacturer. it has Sirim stamp so only people know Sirim requirements knows how much the twin sockets are rated.
SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 12:35 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:31 AM)
are we sure sockets have fuse? we are talking about wall socket. not those square plug into wall socket (extension socket).

i don't know how thick the connectors inside are, but surely thicker than 2.5mm2? just wire uses copper not sure connector uses what.

according to BS the total consumption should be no more than 20A combined. the test is runned based on 1 socket on 14A and 1 on 6A for 4 hours.

of course they say rated for 13A because it is meant for use with 13A plug
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 12:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Feb 9 2018, 12:35 AM)
of course they say rated for 13A because it is meant for use with 13A plug
hi if you don't have the answer then don't putar halim.

what you say is just like how manufacturer states it, 13A, but what? 13A per socket? 13A total? can't be any clearer huh?

i also know it's rated for 13A because they wrote 13A.

do you know what you say means each socket is designed to use with 13A plug meaning the twin gang socket is designed to support 26A? do you know twin socket cannot be rated to 26A?
SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 12:47 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:39 AM)
hi if you don't have the answer then don't putar halim.

what you say is just like how manufacturer states it, 13A, but what? 13A per socket? 13A total? can't be any clearer huh?

i also know it's rated for 13A because they wrote 13A.

do you know what you say means each socket is designed to use with 13A plug meaning the twin gang socket is designed to support 26A? do you know twin socket cannot be rated to 26A?
lel..........

go ahead and find any 13A socket no matter how many gang that give a different number.

bodo is bodo.

of course it will not quote 26A because it is for 13A plug.

duh.
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 12:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Feb 9 2018, 12:47 AM)
lel..........

go ahead and find any 13A socket no matter how many gang that give a different number.

bodo is bodo.

of course it will not quote 26A because it is for 13A plug.

duh.
do you even know what you are typing?

do you know what is a twin gang?

twin gang = 2 sockets.

if you say the socket is meant to support 1 13A plug, do you mean we can only use 1 plug at a time on the twin gang meaning 1 plugged in while another empty?

if not then i have to assume the twin gang socket is designed to fit 2 13A plug. this technically means there will be a maximum 26A current flowing into the twin gang socket 13A per socket.

note Schneider did not specify rating 13A is for per socket or twin socket as whole. do you even know what rating means?

SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 12:55 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:52 AM)
do you even know what you are typing?

do you know what is a twin gang?

twin gang = 2 sockets.

if you say the socket is meant to support 1 13A plug, do you mean we can only use 1 plug at a time on the twin gang meaning 1 plugged in while another empty?

if not then i have to assume the twin gang socket is designed to fit 2 13A plug. this technically means there will be a maximum 26A current flowing into the twin gang socket 13A per socket.

note Schneider did not specify rating 13A is for per socket or twin socket as whole. do you even know what rating means?
yes yes i know my way and gangs.

does it even matter?

26A current will trip the mcb anyway. lelz
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 12:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ Feb 9 2018, 12:55 AM)
yes yes i know my way and gangs.

does it even matter?

26A current will trip the mcb anyway. lelz
you don't know answer don't need to putar halim do 1 big turn back to same spot.

you are assuming sockets all use 20A MCB. do you know 32A MCB is used for 2sets of wires running to multiple sockets?
SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 01:02 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:58 AM)
you don't know answer don't need to putar halim do 1 big turn back to same spot.

you are assuming sockets all use 20A MCB. do you know 32A MCB is used for 2sets of wires running to multiple sockets?
blablabla.

all i know is mcb used should be according to the wire.
you bodo bodo electrician wire stupidly is your problem.
kamfoo
post Feb 9 2018, 01:12 AM

Enthusiast
792 posts

scheinder also canot trust?
SUSslimey
post Feb 9 2018, 01:13 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(kamfoo @ Feb 9 2018, 01:12 AM)
scheinder also canot trust?
lots of fakes on the market for scheinder
UnknownH
post Feb 9 2018, 01:58 AM

Enthusiast
1,437 posts

I see TS hasn't done venturing into the world of socket and electricity.
Lazy_MF
post Feb 9 2018, 08:40 AM

2 posts

As far as I understand, could be wrong though as I'm not certified electrician.
1) It means each socket is meant to support 13A plug
2) There is no fuse in normal socket (there is also fused socket)
3) Total Amp is determined by the MCB
4) It should be copper connector/plate instead of wire in the socket

You should first determine what kind of electrical items you intend to use for that particular socket in order to plan your wiring works. Household appliances mostly draw low current nowadays based on my checking...
amxpayne67
post Feb 9 2018, 08:43 AM

The Coon
718 posts

not this shit again. let bingding go google the obvious answer.

Vervain
post Feb 9 2018, 08:59 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Feb 9 2018, 12:31 AM)

If you're running heating appliance then this is a major concern. If just electronics house hold appliance rarely hit the limit of the fuse. They are efficient nowadays.

QUOTE(leonis80 @ Feb 9 2018, 01:03 AM)
user posted image

If cannot over 13amp, then i combine few more extension then safe or not? example combine 3 or 4 extension together is that ok and safe?
Depends on cumulative load. Modern circuit breaker is sensitive.
SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 09:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(amxpayne67 @ Feb 9 2018, 08:43 AM)
not this shit again. let bingding go google the obvious answer.
google doesn't show anything about 2 gang wall sockets for malaysia.

for western countries they follow BS which 1 socket run 14A the other 6A total 20A for 4 hours temperature should not exceed certain limit.

but Sirim doesn't use that rule. and schneider website showed a few standards but not the BS standard.

SUSadvocado
post Feb 9 2018, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Lazy_MF @ Feb 9 2018, 08:40 AM)
As far as I understand, could be wrong though as I'm not certified electrician.
1) It means each socket is meant to support 13A plug
2) There is no fuse in normal socket (there is also fused socket)
3) Total Amp is determined by the MCB
4) It should be copper connector/plate instead of wire in the socket

You should first determine what kind of electrical items you intend to use for that particular socket in order to plan your wiring works. Household appliances mostly draw low current nowadays based on my checking...
how thick are the copper connectors? are they really less reliable than a 2.5mm2 copper wire? since electricians saying 2 gang wall socket easy spoil.

if you read Schneider website it just states rating: 13A. that is a really unclear datasheet.

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/produ...wnload-pdf/KB25
Lazy_MF
post Feb 12 2018, 08:19 AM

2 posts

Which electrician? I'm using twin gang more than 10 years and no issues till now, just a PDL brand. One of my electrician told me he does not use because it's not common, he keeps only 1 gang socket. And for twin gang it's like you need to have twin gang base box too.

I never figure out the thickness of the copper, cause I don't think there will be an issue as long as your appliances are less than the rated 13A.

2 Pages < 1 2
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.48    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:06 PM