Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My view and personal experience with mental health, Psychiatric drug and taking it long term

views

TSmobc1990
post Feb 8 2018, 05:38 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
83 posts

Hi,i am a 28 year old and I don't want to be too active in this part of forum because I don't want to remind myself of my mental health issue,its unhealthy for me.I want to say that I think it is a bad choice/idea to be taking psychiatric drug for a long term. Reason is that some say it will make you feel better in the short term(to me I always suffer even with medication) and when you take it for a few years it will be harder to stop taking it, you will be facing withdrawal like insomnia,mood swing and even depress mood because of the withdrawal.Psychiatric medication like antipsychotic,depressant or benzodiazepine can damage your other organ like liver or kidney(I believe) and might also do bad for your blood pressure, sugar or cholesterol problem.To me its a bad idea to try psych meds for long term, The Psychiatric worker always pushes people for long term drug and don't want to help patient taper off,for profit or what,i don't know.

I was diagnose with depression/anxiety in 2014 and was put on low dose of antipsychotic(Olanzapine) which said can treat depression and taking it for 4 years already.Last year I tried to taper off medication in 2 months and 6 months after taper ,I cannot sleep and I get anger issue. Furthermore,now I have had problem with blood pressure even though I exercise everyday.If anyone close asked me what to do if he struggle mentally, I will advice to go for therapy and not into the drug road...I hope I will be able to come off medication and live a normally life in 4 years,thats my personaly aim...
Vigilant
post Feb 10 2018, 11:41 PM

Be ever vigilant, but never suspicious
1,284 posts

Benzo is dangerous, one must thread carefully when getting prescribed. I had severe withdrawal effects from benzo before, even with tapering.

Withdrawal symptoms are chronic anxiety & feels like it's hard to breathe.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.18    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:01 PM