Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My Cloud Home Duo 4TB, Worth to buy over cloud storage?

t3n
post Feb 8 2018, 09:37 AM, updated 2w ago

Regular
Group: Senior Member

Hi, anyone use WD cloud storage before? Can someone please give any comment on this compare to cloud storage?

Pros:
- best privacy
- price is cheaper than cloud storage in long run

cons:
- electricity bills
- hard disk failure (thats the reason i get the duo version, RAID 1)

I still using google drive for my documents. WD is use to store my valuable photos and videos.

Any comment is highly appreciated!!

Price compare:

1) My Cloud Home Duo 4TB - RM 1,599

or

2) Pcloud storage 2TB lifetime - RM 1,050
Chungyehkoo
post Feb 8 2018, 10:21 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(t3n @ Feb 8 2018, 09:37 AM)
Hi, anyone use WD cloud storage before? Can someone please give any comment on this compare to cloud storage?

Pros:
- best privacy
- price is cheaper than cloud storage in long run

cons:
- electricity bills
- hard disk failure (thats the reason i get the duo version, RAID 1)

I still using google drive for my documents. WD is use to store my valuable photos and videos.

Any comment is highly appreciated!!

Price compare:

1) My Cloud Home Duo 4TB - RM 1,599

or

2) Pcloud storage 2TB lifetime - RM 1,050
I'm using WD My Cloud Mirror 6TB, Synology DS216Play and OneDrive 1TB.
Having my own personal cloud at home giving me a fast access on data store and share among my other PC or family member sharing data such as photos, videos and entertainment contents within my house on various devices such as TV and AV systems (nowadays, home theater, smart TV can stream video from your NAS).
My WD is for photos and iphone recorded videos, and some none company related working data (I do freelance).
My Synology is purely for entertainment, movie, Kodi, iTunes library etc. Also use for staging photo storing when I need to uploads photo when I travelling.
My OneDrive, is just for Microsoft Office.

WD is straight forward products, which is good for average users, but the upload or download speed is slow.... very slow.
Synology able to customized quite a number of thing, such as you can even build your own email server, IM groups within your family and install others plugin for more function (Do some research your self)

Privacy wise, WD is OK, Sinology is better, both no issue on average people, as many do not know how to hack, but, and I assuming you not familiar with firewall setting on your broadband router, otherwise, it will be perfect, if you know how to use NAT, Firewall, you already can easily prevent almost 90% of people hacking or stole/access your Data

Personal cloud is never a low cost investment, I do not invest on it based on low cost in mind, personal cloud could be more expensive than you expected, I am not referring to your electric bills, I'm refer to the possible fauly of your device operating 24hours a day under given condition may affecting the life cycle of your storage device.

While OneDrive, I am using it just because of it is free from Microsoft Office 365.

In summary, if you're not a frequently accessing your data store in the cloud, any cloud storage provider is good enough. The cheaper the better, but read review from others regarding the service provider. OneDrive used to be very bad on IOS but it is not the case nowadays.

Personal Cloud is perfect for LAN access, and sometimes over the WAN, this is depend on your broadband and ISP quality.

Chungyehkoo
post Feb 8 2018, 10:26 AM

FYI, Synology

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2530797

t3n
post Feb 8 2018, 11:09 AM

Regular

QUOTE(Chungyehkoo @ Feb 8 2018, 10:21 AM)
I'm using WD My Cloud Mirror 6TB, Synology DS216Play and OneDrive 1TB.
Having my own personal cloud at home giving me a fast access on data store and share among my other PC or family member sharing data such as photos, videos and entertainment contents within my house on various devices such as TV and AV systems (nowadays, home theater, smart TV can stream video from your NAS).
My WD is for photos and iphone recorded videos, and some none company related working data (I do freelance).
My Synology is purely for entertainment, movie, Kodi, iTunes library etc. Also use for staging photo storing when I need to uploads photo when I travelling.
My OneDrive, is just for Microsoft Office.

WD is straight forward products, which is good for average users, but the upload or download speed is slow.... very slow.
Synology able to customized quite a number of thing, such as you can even build your own email server, IM groups within your family and install others plugin for more function (Do some research your self)

Privacy wise, WD is OK, Sinology is better,  both no issue on average people, as many do not know how to hack, but, and I assuming you not familiar with firewall setting on your broadband router, otherwise, it will be perfect, if you know how to use NAT, Firewall, you already can easily prevent almost 90% of people hacking or stole/access your Data

Personal cloud is never a low cost investment, I do not invest on it based on low cost in mind, personal cloud could be more expensive than you expected, I am not referring to your electric bills, I'm refer to the possible fauly of your device operating 24hours a day under given condition may affecting the life cycle of your storage device.

While OneDrive, I am using it just because of it is free from Microsoft Office 365.

In summary, if you're not a frequently accessing your data store in the cloud, any cloud storage provider is good enough. The cheaper the better, but read review from others regarding the service provider. OneDrive used to be very bad on IOS but it is not the case nowadays.

Personal Cloud is perfect for LAN access, and sometimes over the WAN, this is depend on your broadband and ISP quality.
Thanks so much for your valuable feedback.. My main usage of cloud is to backup my data only (seldom access my data).. So i guess cloud storage will be better for me... I am looking at synology DS218J too..
Chungyehkoo
post Feb 8 2018, 01:01 PM

hehe... just realized... my spelling too power. haha.. sorry for that.
dtdw
post Feb 8 2018, 01:29 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

https://www.backblaze.com/backup-pricing.html
t3n
post Feb 8 2018, 02:14 PM

Regular

QUOTE(dtdw @ Feb 8 2018, 01:29 PM)
heard of pcloud?
dtdw
post Feb 8 2018, 03:43 PM

Casual

QUOTE(t3n @ Feb 8 2018, 02:14 PM)
heard of pcloud?
first time heard of it. problem with such companies is that it will not sustain. even backblaze is barely able, but lots of ppl have been using it based on reddit.

there was another service that got shutdown because of "unlimited". lifetime 2tb, not so sure. but the "lifetime" is a concern. its a losing money business.

the only true sustainable storage is expensive, and by dropbox gdrive etc.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Feb 8 2018, 03:52 PM
t3n
post Feb 8 2018, 08:49 PM

Regular

QUOTE(dtdw @ Feb 8 2018, 03:43 PM)
first time heard of it. problem with such companies is that it will not sustain. even backblaze is barely able, but lots of ppl have been using it based on reddit.

there was another service that got shutdown because of "unlimited". lifetime 2tb, not so sure. but the "lifetime" is a concern. its a losing money business.

the only true sustainable storage is expensive, and by dropbox gdrive etc.
Yeap i have the same doubt as u.. lifetime seems something fishy.. even one drive i doubt they can sustain.. the cheapest and reliable option now is amazon drive... Gdrive and dropbox is way too expensive for me because i need at least 1TB not including files in the future.. would u suggest NAS instead? Synology seems better than WD..
dtdw
post Feb 9 2018, 09:15 AM

Casual

if you only have data and not using it for storing/streaming entertainment over network, the cheapest solution is to put it into external drive.

unless your main work requires accessing original raw files of photos and videos, just upload it to google photos for those, and keep non accesing data in external drive.

i dont have any NAS setup so i cant comment on that.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Feb 9 2018, 09:16 AM

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0621sec    4.06    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 09:32 AM