Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Training center PC setup, for programming courses

alvincks
post Feb 4 2018, 01:07 AM, updated 9 months ago

Regular
Group: Senior Member

Guys,
Thinking to setup training center for programming like Java, Python, let assume setting up for 10 sets at beginning, what are your advice to keep the cost in minimal level ?

What kind of machines spec, notebook or desktop and etc for consideration ?

Thanks

PzGman
post Feb 5 2018, 10:08 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(alvincks @ Feb 4 2018, 01:07 AM)
Guys,
Thinking to setup training center for programming like Java, Python, let assume setting up for 10 sets at beginning, what are your advice to keep the cost in minimal level ?

What kind of machines spec, notebook or desktop and etc for consideration ?

Thanks
FYI, I'm no expert but for coding purposes, desktops offer better value from an economic standpoint as compared to laptops as you can buy a faster desktop (or one with better specs) for the same amount of money IMHO. The other advantage of a desktop is upgradeability―laptops are notoriously limited in this regard. As for the specs, you should spec it out with at least 8 GB RAM and an i3 (or an i5 class processor if you can afford it). You should look into incorporating SSD drives into the build as they help greatly in reducing boot times and offer faster loading of previously saved projects. The choice is up to you. For the OS, you can either go for Linux (which is excellent for Python) or MS Windows because it supports most of the programming languages out there.

Good luck! biggrin.gif
alvincks
post Feb 7 2018, 11:18 AM

Regular

Thanks man for the advice ! someone suggest to take a look into Intel NUC ...i think it is good which make room for spacious...but the price is expensive if not mistaken, any alternative that you know of ?

QUOTE(PzGman @ Feb 5 2018, 10:08 PM)
FYI, I'm no expert but for coding purposes, desktops offer better value from an economic standpoint as compared to laptops as you can buy a faster desktop (or one with better specs) for the same amount of money IMHO. The other advantage of a desktop is upgradeability―laptops are notoriously limited in this regard. As for the specs, you should spec it out with at least 8 GB RAM and an i3 (or an i5 class processor if you can afford it). You should look into incorporating SSD drives into the build as they help greatly in reducing boot times and offer faster loading of previously saved projects. The choice is up to you. For the OS, you can either go for Linux (which is excellent for Python) or MS Windows because it supports most of the programming languages out there.

Good luck!  biggrin.gif
bananadrew
post Feb 9 2018, 10:45 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

basic computing will do, decent CPU , memory , and SSD. no need for other fancy stuff.

maybe each pc would cost around 2k? or lesser.
xFreedomBoix
post Feb 9 2018, 07:06 PM

Wasuretakunai

i think u should skip pre-built NUC.

maybe opt for 2 cores intel like g4560, 8 gb of ram, cheap mobo, ssd or hardisk, and generic psu or pc casing.
i'd say achievable ~1.5k myr.
noneed gpu unless u do 3D rendering.
my uni used intel i5 4th gen, 8gb of ram, 1tb hardisk, and windows 10 edu. works quite well as far as i remembered.

if tight on budget, can try to scout for second hand pre-built ( alot of those pc shops sell, older generation of i7 set at rm 1.8k++, with 3 months warranty by the shop )
alvincks
post Feb 9 2018, 11:54 PM

Regular

I might consider this option, would g4560 too slow ?

QUOTE(xFreedomBoix @ Feb 9 2018, 07:06 PM)
i think u should skip pre-built NUC.

maybe opt for 2 cores intel like g4560, 8 gb of ram, cheap mobo, ssd or hardisk, and generic psu or pc casing.
i'd say achievable ~1.5k myr.
noneed gpu unless u do 3D rendering.
my uni used intel i5 4th gen, 8gb of ram, 1tb hardisk, and windows 10 edu. works quite well as far as i remembered.

if tight on budget, can try to scout for second hand pre-built ( alot of those pc shops sell, older generation of i7 set at rm 1.8k++, with 3 months warranty by the shop )
xFreedomBoix
post Feb 9 2018, 11:59 PM

Wasuretakunai

QUOTE(alvincks @ Feb 9 2018, 11:54 PM)
I might consider this option, would g4560 too slow ?
I have no idea tbh. Should be fine for simple code. But if theres animation in the code, might not be smooth (?)
And running VM might not be optimal

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/...um=comment_list
alvincks
post Feb 10 2018, 08:32 AM

Regular

xFreedom, after read the reference site, Would it worth to upgrade my budget a bit to take AMD Ryzen processor? i didn't get chance to know it performance and price though but does it worth to fork up little bit(if it is) more to keep minimum future upgrade ?

There are plan for the center to run some basic network game.

QUOTE(xFreedomBoix @ Feb 9 2018, 11:59 PM)
I have no idea tbh. Should be fine for simple code. But if theres animation in the code, might not be smooth (?)
And running VM might not be optimal

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/...um=comment_list
xFreedomBoix
post Feb 10 2018, 02:08 PM

Wasuretakunai

QUOTE(alvincks @ Feb 10 2018, 08:32 AM)
xFreedom, after read the reference site, Would it worth to upgrade my budget a bit to take AMD Ryzen processor? i didn't get chance to know it performance and price though but does it worth to fork up little bit(if it is) more to keep minimum future upgrade ?

There are plan for the center to run some basic network game.
U can’t go ryzen unless u decide to get a dedicated gpu since ryzen doesn’t come with integrated gpu like intel does.
kingkingyyk
post Feb 11 2018, 10:57 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Hardware
Group: Elite

QUOTE(xFreedomBoix @ Feb 10 2018, 02:08 PM)
U can’t go ryzen unless u decide to get a dedicated gpu since ryzen doesn’t come with integrated gpu like intel does.
Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G. smile.gif

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0666sec    3.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 11:16 PM