Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA amps, underloading and overloading speakers

views

TSFlamingASSH0LE
post Feb 1 2018, 01:59 AM, updated 7y ago

22 posts

As per title, I wanna discuss about car amps... Currently I replaced my stock front door speakers rated at 25W to a pair of 140W coaxial speakers, driving a 2014 mazda 3, recently I was reminded that the malaysian model comes with an amp as well... hard to find details regarding it cause japan & US model using bose..

So having 140W coaxial in the front, 25W at the back and stock tweeters(which i can neglect), assuming i have a stock amp, what should i do now?

From my understanding, the stock amp should be underpowered (i can't find data regarding what amp or if my car even has an amp) hence causing clipping to my speakers... and also i dont get the same punchy bass as the stock :/
Is it ok for me to just add-on an amp to power the 140W speakers... assuming i already have a underpowered amp hidden somewhere

Or if i were to found that amp and have it replaced with another amp, is there such thing as an amp being able to support my current half baked set up...

Or would the clipping be fine? i doubt so.... cause i blast quite loud doh.gif

I would like to thank you all in advance for having the time to read and for any inputs which would be much appreciated even if its just a bump XD
k3lvinNdad
post Feb 1 2018, 04:42 PM

Uulala
511 posts

i am not expert but your 140W coax is RMS? maybe you can state what is the brand and model speaker you are using so that Sifu in this section can help...
TSFlamingASSH0LE
post Feb 1 2018, 04:58 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(k3lvinNdad @ Feb 1 2018, 04:42 PM)
i am not expert but your 140W coax is RMS? maybe you can state what is the brand and model speaker you are using so that Sifu in this section can help...
Not RMS, focal PS165F

Initially wanted get JBL component kit but manage to get this and very good price hence the half baked set-up haha and this 1 sponsored by ahpa as bonus pay

Sorry, very new to ICE section

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
goohtj
post Feb 19 2018, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(FlamingASSH0LE @ Feb 1 2018, 04:58 PM)
Not RMS, focal PS165F

Initially wanted get JBL component kit but manage to get this and very good price hence the half baked set-up haha and this 1 sponsored by ahpa as bonus pay

Sorry, very new to ICE section
focal is a good brand. also power hungry.
need a powerful amp to drive.

most headunit amp is 30w. if wanna upgrade speakers, choose one with 30w. your focal is 70w. so result is low volume - cannot hear, high volume - clipping/distortion .

6UE5T
post Feb 19 2018, 06:41 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(FlamingASSH0LE @ Feb 1 2018, 01:59 AM)
As per title, I wanna discuss about car amps... Currently I replaced my stock front door speakers rated at 25W to a pair of 140W coaxial speakers, driving a 2014 mazda 3, recently I was reminded that the malaysian model comes with an amp as well... hard to find details regarding it cause japan & US model using bose..

So having 140W coaxial in the front, 25W at the back and stock tweeters(which i can neglect), assuming i have a stock amp, what should i do now?

From my understanding, the stock amp should be underpowered (i can't find data regarding what amp or if my car even has an amp) hence causing clipping to my speakers... and also i dont get the same punchy bass as the stock :/
Is it ok for me to just add-on an amp to power the 140W speakers... assuming i already have a underpowered amp hidden somewhere
Or if i were to found that amp and have it replaced with another amp, is there such thing as an amp being able to support my current half baked set up...

Or would the clipping be fine? i doubt so.... cause i blast quite loud doh.gif

I would like to thank you all in advance for having the time to read and for any inputs which would be much appreciated even if its just a bump XD
You need a proper amp to power your Focal coz clipping is BAD! For your Focal, you'd probably need something like rms60-70w/channel amp, the more the better (more power is better than underpowered coz underpowered causes distortion and clipping to your speaker coils). The rms rating of your amp should not be lower than the rms rating of your Focal.

If your car already has an amp, most likely it's a small 4 channel, so you have a few options below:
1. Assuming you do have a stock amp already, check the power rating and if it can be wired in bridge mode. If can, see how much power it puts out in bridge mode. If enough you can power this for your front Focal. This can be the cheapest option since you don't need to buy anything new but probably the least ideal because usually in bridge mode the sound quality will drop.
2. Buy a 2 channel to power your front Focal and disconnect the front channel of the stock amp.
3. Completely remove the stock amp and replace with a more powerful 4 channel amp.

TamtamENT
post Feb 27 2018, 04:43 AM

0 posts

Better add new wiring and amps for ur focal speakers.. stock hu or amp wont be enough to power-up aftermarket speakers.. unless ur audio system is upgrade version, means add on option like some merc, bmw or high end cars..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 PM