3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Form Check, Help needed.

views

TSDeAct
post Jan 31 2018, 11:59 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
281 posts

Smth is wrong with my Squats. Felt some lower back pain (more like tightness). The the tightness disappeared after applying some pressure on it by rolling off the Bench with a curled back (bring knees to chest and roll forward off the bench). It's almost similar to using a foam roller.

I encountered the above problem a couple of times before but never knew what's wrong. My experience is that ^ is just the first symptom. If I ignore the pain and continue to go heavier, I'd ultimately be forced to take a break from gym due to back pain.

I actually copy pasted ^ from my Workout journal. Thought that I would more likely get answers here and I'm unsure where else to post. I'd to apologize for the above.

I only took the video from the side. Not sure whether that is enough for a diagnosis.

DeAct

overfloe
post Feb 1 2018, 11:07 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

Try to descend with your hips first. if you still feel lower back pain, do cat-cow pose once in a while. It helped me a lot.
lilredridinghood
post Feb 1 2018, 11:39 AM

Not so google expert
2,111 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Jan 31 2018, 11:59 AM)
Smth is wrong with my Squats. Felt some lower back pain (more like tightness). The the tightness disappeared after applying some pressure on it by rolling off the Bench with a curled back (bring knees to chest and roll forward off the bench). It's almost similar to using a foam roller.

I encountered the above problem a couple of times before but never knew what's wrong. My experience is that ^ is just the first symptom. If I ignore the pain and continue to go heavier, I'd ultimately be forced to take a break from gym due to back pain.

I actually copy pasted ^ from my Workout journal. Thought that I would more likely get answers here and I'm unsure where else to post. I'd to apologize for the above.

I only took the video from the side. Not sure whether that is enough for a diagnosis.
DeAct
Ostensibly from a casual glance, your form looked alright although I do think the tempo's a little too quick on the eccentric motion(downwards) and *note sacrilegious* the emphasis on the full range of motion is a good habit but there is a limited range depending on one's flexibility(Shins, calves, gluteus, hamstrings, etc)

I noticed a perceptible forward movement at your pelvic region as you move downwards, it is perhaps a habit.

What I'd fix FIRST is the hip hinge, which is often overlooked by many heavy lifters and a key part to more complex movements such as lunges, kettle bell swings, deadlifts, etc

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-hip-h...-the-difference

Also you should consider altering the tempo of your movements to a slightly more controlled eccentric motion and resist the weights to reap more benefits, it is called resistance training after all.

*example* When your heel starts to tip upwards, it is a sign of the maximisation of your mobility and muscle pliability, be it the calves or shins(main reasons usually)

It's not going to be pretty but it's the safest.

TSDeAct
post Feb 1 2018, 12:37 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Feb 1 2018, 11:07 AM)
Try to descend with your hips first. if you still feel lower back pain, do cat-cow pose once in a while. It helped me a lot.
I just noticed that I am NOT using my hips to guide the movement as much as I should. Thanks for pointing that out.

QUOTE(lilredridinghood @ Feb 1 2018, 11:39 AM)
Ostensibly from a casual glance, your form looked alright although I do think the tempo's a little too quick on the eccentric motion(downwards) and *note sacrilegious* the emphasis on the full range of motion is a good habit but there is a limited range depending on one's flexibility(Shins, calves, gluteus, hamstrings, etc)

I noticed a perceptible forward movement at your pelvic region as you move downwards, it is perhaps a habit.

What I'd fix FIRST is the hip hinge, which is often overlooked by many heavy lifters and a key part to more complex movements such as lunges, kettle bell swings, deadlifts, etc

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-hip-h...-the-difference

Also you should consider altering the tempo of your movements to a slightly more controlled eccentric motion and resist the weights to reap more benefits, it is called resistance training after all.

*example* When your heel starts to tip upwards, it is a sign of the maximisation of your mobility and muscle pliability, be it the calves or shins(main reasons usually)

It's not going to be pretty but it's the safest.

Can you elaborate more on this please ? Are you referring to butt wink ?

By fixing my hip hinge, do you mean that my Squats should start with pushing my hips back?

I will alter the tempo of my Squats. You do make a lot of sense here.
lilredridinghood
post Feb 1 2018, 03:10 PM

Not so google expert
2,111 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Feb 1 2018, 12:37 PM)
I just noticed  that I am NOT using my hips to guide the movement as much as I should. Thanks for pointing that out.

Can you elaborate more on this please ? Are you referring to butt wink ?

By fixing my hip hinge, do you mean that my Squats should start with pushing my hips back?

I will alter the tempo of my Squats. You do make a lot of sense here.
This illustration should clear things up a bit, your video showed a hint of slight flexion at the of the lower back.

user posted image

the hip hinge

TSDeAct
post Feb 1 2018, 05:57 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(lilredridinghood @ Feb 1 2018, 03:10 PM)
This illustration should clear things up a bit, your video showed a hint of slight flexion at the of the lower back.

user posted image

the hip hinge

Got it. Thank you for the resources. tongue.gif

Let's hope tmr goes well.
lilredridinghood
post Feb 1 2018, 06:17 PM

Not so google expert
2,111 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Feb 1 2018, 05:57 PM)
Got it. Thank you for the resources. tongue.gif

Let's hope tmr goes well.
Also another sacrilegious suggestion, try a slower tempo with a lighter weight to maximise the quality of the workout. The DOMS will be exponentially worse haha

Good luck man
TSDeAct
post Feb 2 2018, 01:26 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(lilredridinghood @ Feb 1 2018, 06:17 PM)
Also another sacrilegious suggestion, try a slower tempo with a lighter weight to maximise the quality of the workout. The DOMS will be exponentially worse haha

Good luck man
I slowed down on the eccentric phase today. It was a lot harder. As I'm typing this, I think I now understand why my other 2 lifts suffered today. Do you think that's a valid assumption ?

lilredridinghood
post Feb 2 2018, 03:32 PM

Not so google expert
2,111 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Feb 2 2018, 01:26 PM)
I slowed down on the eccentric phase today. It was a lot harder. As I'm typing this, I think I now understand why my other 2 lifts suffered today. Do you think that's a valid assumption ?
Fatigue maybe?

Perhaps this would explain better

https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/eccentr...ce-exercise.pdf

TSDeAct
post Feb 4 2018, 09:57 AM

Getting Started
281 posts

Perhaps, thank you for the link smile.gif

Amedion
post Feb 14 2018, 10:56 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

A little bit of butt wink at the bottom is fine. Nothing wrong with your form but how you use your muscle only you yourself can tell. Don't use so much lower back, try to make use of glutes and your leg to push the weight up.

If you don't know how to use those muscle then try these :-

user posted image

user posted image

Like having sex you know?

and also try wider stance and foot facing 45 degrees outward.
TSDeAct
post Feb 15 2018, 03:24 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Feb 14 2018, 10:56 PM)
A little bit of butt wink at the bottom is fine. Nothing wrong with your form but how you use your muscle only you yourself can tell. Don't use so much lower back, try to make use of glutes and your leg to push the weight up.

user posted image

user posted image

Thank you for the tips, brah. Happy CNY to you !

where
post Feb 15 2018, 04:19 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Jan 31 2018, 11:59 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
I'm not 100% sure from the video whether is it a high bar or low bar squat.
Seems like high bar since your torso is mostly upright when you set the bar on your back.

Anyways, experiment with your feet width placement. Probably wearing a flat sole or weightlifting shoes would be beneficial.

Generally.... here is my "not-so-experienced" opinion on the squat;

Low bar squat = more hip hinge, sit back, hip drive on the way up.... feet placement is not that wide
High bar squat = less hip hinge, sit straight down, quads on the way up/less hip drive.... feet placement wider
Amedion
post Feb 16 2018, 12:54 PM

It's a bird! No, it's a plane! No, it's star
3,377 posts

QUOTE(where @ Feb 15 2018, 04:19 PM)
I'm not 100% sure from the video whether is it a high bar or low bar squat.
Seems like high bar since your torso is mostly upright when you set the bar on your back.

Anyways, experiment with your feet width placement. Probably wearing a flat sole or weightlifting shoes would be beneficial.

Generally.... here is my "not-so-experienced" opinion on the squat;

Low bar squat = more hip hinge, sit back, hip drive on the way up.... feet placement is not that wide
High bar squat = less hip hinge, sit straight down, quads on the way up/less hip drive.... feet placement wider
Low bar squat need to lean forward so a wider stance otherwise cant go low.
High bar squat need to sit upright so narrower stance will be more stable.
Anyway, everyone body different so need to find best stance for yourself

This post has been edited by Amedion: Feb 16 2018, 12:59 PM
TSDeAct
post Feb 17 2018, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

Thank you for all the tips that you guys have provided smile.gif

How would I know whether it’s the right stance ?
where
post Feb 17 2018, 04:59 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Feb 17 2018, 04:27 PM)
Thank you for all the tips that you guys have provided smile.gif

How would I know whether it’s the right stance ?
You can read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book. Mark Rippetoe actually has some videos on youtube on the low bar squat.
TSDeAct
post Feb 18 2018, 05:35 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

Guys, just doing a little update.

Squat form is all well for now. I do hope it stays that way.

One mistake that I seem to make every now and then is not paying enough attention to my knees. It caves in occasionally. It’s funny how mindful I have to be when doing squats.

I’ll deff pay more attention to hip hinge from now onwards. Didn’t know that was a thing. Please forgive my ignorance.

I adjusted my stance and it does help. It’s not exactly easy for me though. I have a tendency to have one foot slightly infront of the other.

This post has been edited by DeAct: Feb 18 2018, 05:42 PM
TSDeAct
post Feb 18 2018, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(where @ Feb 17 2018, 04:59 PM)
You can read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book. Mark Rippetoe actually has some videos on youtube on the low bar squat.
I’m still reading Rippetoe’s starting strength. It is technical and I’ll need time to digest. Nonetheless, it is a great book. Thanks for the recommendation (:

TSDeAct
post Feb 25 2018, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

Hey guys, new problems with my form. Please advise sad.gif

I suspected that my form is off because I feel myself swaying to the right when I lift the bar from the bottom. Feeling a bit of muscle pull on the right side a few inches above my arse.

It’s more obvious in this video. Failed last rep. This is set 2.

Here I’m warming up for DL. Feels like I’m using too much of my back. Feeling some ‘burns’ here, similar to what I described about my Squats previously.

Still feeling some ‘burns’ but not as intense as the warmups. Back doesn’t seem rounded, that’s why I’m puzzled.

Now the standard question, how can my form be improved?

I should lower the weight for squats, yes?

Is the way I set up for DL acceptable? In between sets, should I reset up like the warmup set or the work set ?

TSDeAct
post Feb 25 2018, 11:16 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(Amedion @ Feb 14 2018, 10:56 PM)

user posted image

user posted image

Apparently I seem to be squeezing my glutes. Still, I have no control over them. ROFL

This post has been edited by DeAct: Feb 25 2018, 11:17 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.36    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:57 PM