Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> MSI GL62M FPS and Processor Speed Issue (Hardware)

vincent5143
post Jan 30 2018, 12:15 AM, updated 2w ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi sifus,

I face an issue where during my gaming session for Counter-Strike:Global Offensive, the fps keeps fluctuating rapidly until the movement of mouse or keyboard is felt sluggish. My current setting for CS:GO is all Medium with 4xMSAA. I'm getting around 120-150fps when standing ans sometimes may drop to 70-80 fps when moving, shooting ongoing. I've tried put everything auto (high/very high/8xMSAA) but still similar things happened. I tried to put window border-less or full-screen but it doesn't make any changes.

I've tried running other games (i.e. GTA V or Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege) on high but I could get constant fps of 60.

And I've also realized that my processor GHz will not automatically change mode from balanced to high performance. Even though during in game, the power plan will still stay at balanced. I need to swap from sport to comfort and back to sport only the power plan will move to high performance and GHz increases to 3-3.25/3.5 GHz where CPU is at the same time at 70-90% during gaming. After my gaming ends (only task manager opens with other background apps running), it will still stay high performance with high GHz from processor but CPU percentage at 10-20%. Only after I change it back to comfort then it will return to balanced power plan and GHz drops to 1-2.4.

I don't think it should be HDD problem as only CPU facing spike. HDD stays calm at max 10%.

Thus, should my laptop be behaving like this or there's some issue? Since I'm new towards gaming specifications, I'm not sure whether it should be like this.

Looking forward for the help. In the meantime I'll check the keyboard for issues.

Besides that, I think my keyboard is splashed with rain drops but I'm not sure whether inside is affected or not. I've checked my monitor or speaker but they don't have water stain. I don't think this will contribute to the issue but yeah.

Laptop Spec: MSI GL62M 7RDX 1825
Processor: i5-7300HQ with CPU 2.5GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR4
Graphic Card: GTX1050 4GB

Keyboard: Logitech Mechanical Keyboard G413

Thanks!! biggrin.gif

WiLeKiyO
post Jan 30 2018, 12:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(vincent5143 @ Jan 30 2018, 12:15 AM)
Hi sifus,

I face an issue where during my gaming session for Counter-Strike:Global Offensive, the fps keeps fluctuating rapidly until the movement of mouse or keyboard is felt sluggish. My current setting for CS:GO is all Medium with 4xMSAA. I'm getting around 120-150fps when standing ans sometimes may drop to 70-80 fps when moving, shooting ongoing. I've tried put everything auto (high/very high/8xMSAA) but still similar things happened. I tried to put window border-less or full-screen but it doesn't make any changes.
I've tried running other games (i.e. GTA V or Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege) on high but I could get constant fps of 60. 
And I've also realized that my processor GHz will not automatically change mode from balanced to high performance. Even though during in game, the power plan will still stay at balanced. I need to swap from sport to comfort and back to sport only the power plan will move to high performance and GHz increases to 3-3.25/3.5 GHz where CPU is at the same time at 70-90% during gaming. After my gaming ends (only task manager opens with other background apps running),  it will still stay high performance with high GHz from processor but CPU percentage at 10-20%. Only after I change it back to comfort then it will return to balanced power plan and GHz drops to 1-2.4.
I don't think it should be HDD problem as only CPU facing spike. HDD stays calm at max 10%.

Thus, should my laptop be behaving like this or there's some issue? Since I'm new towards gaming specifications, I'm not sure whether it should be like this.

Looking forward for the help. In the meantime I'll check the keyboard for issues.

Besides that, I think my keyboard is splashed with rain drops but I'm not sure whether inside is affected or not. I've checked my monitor or speaker but they don't have water stain. I don't think this will contribute to the issue but yeah.

Laptop Spec: MSI GL62M 7RDX 1825
Processor: i5-7300HQ with CPU 2.5GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR4
Graphic Card: GTX1050 4GB

Keyboard: Logitech Mechanical Keyboard G413

Thanks!! biggrin.gif
Try turning off Vsync and FPS cap.

vincent5143
post Jan 30 2018, 12:34 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(WiLeKiyO @ Jan 30 2018, 12:29 AM)
Try turning off Vsync and FPS cap.
My v-sync is off and fps cap is set at 300 at the time of gaming. So I really not sure is it because of the processor or keyboard :S
dexz
post Jan 30 2018, 03:03 AM

Getting Started

Are you on windows 10? If yes. Maybe windows automatically update your gpu driver. Try to download and install the latest gpu driver. Good luck.
mashimarow
post Jan 30 2018, 02:40 PM

Regular

don't update the GPU driver! 390.xx have issue with older Vulcan game

388.71 driver is more stable. and your issue doesn't seem cause by driver as other game not affected?

vincent5143
post Jan 30 2018, 05:23 PM

Getting Started

Hi,

Just giving an update. I've called MSI Malaysia. They've asked me to update my graphics driver and windows update which I've done both. Apparently how but somehow Windows 10 may rollback my software previously.

Will check again later too see whether any progress.

Meanwhile, it's not the keyboard problem. Everything keyboard is A-OK

There might be a possibility where the Windows 10 has bug. Processor issue still haven't update

This post has been edited by vincent5143: Jan 30 2018, 05:24 PM
ihavenoidea
post Jan 31 2018, 11:34 PM

Casual

Tried reinstall the msi power management software? That should fix the power mamagement issue if any win10 update bugged out the msi power management software.

I think your cpu reached thermal throttle in csgo thus making the fps drop

The gtaV constant 60fps means you have vsync enabled.. you check your vsync in nvdia software or in game?
mastermindsos
post Feb 2 2018, 04:07 PM

Getting Started

Windows 10 has known issue with gaming after the Creator's Update.
If you can rollback, rollback to the earliest Windows 10 version that is possible.
Then please disable windows update from the services.msc.

-Edit-
This issue is widely discuss on net, here is an example in geforce forum. Link.

This post has been edited by mastermindsos: Feb 2 2018, 04:09 PM
vincent5143
post Feb 13 2018, 12:56 PM

Getting Started

Thank you so much for all the help!

Apparently I think the main issue for my question turns out to be the bug of Windows 10. Processor issue still there. Or is it normal for i5 processors to become like that?

On battery processor 1.2 - 0.95GHz.
hotwebs
post Feb 19 2018, 05:00 PM

On my way

Try turn off any screen capturing software and monitoring your task manager, what's going on when you move the mouse, e.g. Nvidia Shadow Play, Raptr, Overwolf...etc

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0640sec    6.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd February 2018 - 02:44 PM