Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Collectibles Big Box PC Games collectors in Malaysia, physical PC Game collectors welcome!

views

TSsvfn
post Jan 22 2018, 12:05 PM, updated 3y ago

Casual
497 posts

Hi guys, anyone still keep their old PC Games from the 1980s/1990s to early 2000s as collection? Can also be newer games like Starcraft 2, WoW, The Witcher, Collector's Editions / Kickstarter games etc, but please limit to PC gaming/computer gaming related only and no console games.

I know piracy was huge back then, but there were some retail shops like these in Ampang Park (RIP) and The Software Boutique (RIP) that had some new old stock before PC gaming went digital on Steam.

Currently I know only 4-6 others that collect retro boxed PC Games in Malaysia, hopefully we can find some more collectors (retro/new) here on LYN to talk about why or what they collect, share what they found or collected, or where to find these original physical PC games in Malaysia.

Places that might still sell PC Games physical edition in Malaysia:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Physical PC Games elsewhere:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by svfn: May 9 2018, 08:18 PM
joedpa82
post Jan 22 2018, 12:11 PM

On my way
573 posts

Any news on The Anthem Collector's edition?
TSsvfn
post Jan 22 2018, 12:31 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(joedpa82 @ Jan 22 2018, 12:11 PM)
Any news on The Anthem Collector's edition?
well i don't know, seeing as very few shops bring in any PC Collector's Edition nowadays (most bring console only), i think most Msians order directly from Amazon which can be quite costly.

i will update the main post on places that still sell physical PC games later.
joedpa82
post Jan 22 2018, 02:34 PM

On my way
573 posts

QUOTE(svfn @ Jan 22 2018, 01:31 PM)
well i don't know, seeing as very few shops bring in any PC Collector's Edition nowadays (most bring console only), i think most Msians order directly from Amazon which can be quite costly.

i will update the main post on places that still sell physical PC games later.
Nice!

Been waiting for news of The Anthem.
ray123
post Jan 29 2018, 12:02 AM

Senior Citizen
2,469 posts

Wow, Malaysian LGR eh? smile.gif

I had a few, don't know where I stored them... Off the top of my head I can remember Ancient Art of War in the Skies, Harpoon (biggest disappointment ever), Star Control II (best game ever!) and Wing Commander IV. I remember buying them at Times Bookshop (way back when they had the blue logo I think).

This post has been edited by ray123: Jan 29 2018, 12:04 AM
TSsvfn
post Jan 29 2018, 02:35 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ Jan 29 2018, 12:02 AM)
Wow, Malaysian LGR eh? smile.gif

I had a few, don't know where I stored them... Off the top of my head I can remember Ancient Art of War in the Skies, Harpoon (biggest disappointment ever), Star Control II (best game ever!) and Wing Commander IV. I remember buying them at Times Bookshop (way back when they had the blue logo I think).
i have seen maybe 1 Msian who have shelves of collection like LGR, but it is hard to build a collection because almost none to find in Malaysia now and it's so much easier to find and buy Big Boxes in the US.

oo many of us stored away in boxes and storeroom and forgot about them tongue.gif must have been interesting to see them at bookshops blink.gif i do remember seeing some games but not boxed ones.
dawnreaver
post Jan 30 2018, 10:29 AM

On my way
588 posts

I noticed that most of the Collector's Editions nowadays are only for the console version. Even Destiny 2 did not have any CE for PC. cry.gif

I used to buy CEs from Amazon (when the RM was strong) and from Software Boutique (when they were still in business).
TSsvfn
post Jan 30 2018, 04:09 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(dawnreaver @ Jan 30 2018, 10:29 AM)
I noticed that most of the Collector's Editions nowadays are only for the console version. Even Destiny 2 did not have any CE for PC. cry.gif

I used to buy CEs from Amazon (when the RM was strong) and from Software Boutique (when they were still in business).
because of Steam and digital distribution, physical content are mostly targeted at collectors now, not these who just want to play the game. and the thing is physical costs extra today when back then it came together with the full priced game.

Destiny 2 has PC CE i think, but the price itself is a killer even when not including shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Destiny-2-PC-Standar...B06XPQMGKD?th=1

i think the newer PC games have gone the Console route of Collector's Editions with SteelBooks, pricey figures/statues and stuff. they come in oversized boxes that are harder to display and keep together because of the huge size, furthermore it will be about 4x the game price. it would be better if they sold these large statues individually, as merchandise.

even Kickstarter physical are expensive, about $80-$100 at least for the most bare bones physical version.

so i am curious since i know there are quite a lot of Malaysians that collect CEs or PC games in the past TSB/Software Boutique days. just that i've never seen any boxed PC games back in the 2000s biggrin.gif well feel free to share if you like, that's the point of this thread.

This post has been edited by svfn: Apr 18 2018, 02:00 PM
dawnreaver
post Jan 30 2018, 04:16 PM

On my way
588 posts

Thanks for the link to the Destiny 2 CE! The price is a bit over the top for a bag though (in my opinion). biggrin.gif

Looks like I'll have to dust off my boxes for a photo session soon. laugh.gif
TSsvfn
post Jan 30 2018, 04:31 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(dawnreaver @ Jan 30 2018, 04:16 PM)
Thanks for the link to the Destiny 2 CE! The price is a bit over the top for a bag though (in my opinion).  biggrin.gif

Looks like I'll have to dust off my boxes for a photo session soon.  laugh.gif
yea modern CEs are a no go for me too.

This post has been edited by svfn: Jan 30 2018, 05:50 PM
memphiz_zero88
post Jan 30 2018, 05:10 PM

My stars has gone. T_T
Group Icon
Staff
2,255 posts

I'm also collecting PC games and CE, but only starting recently. So no old schools games yet.
TSsvfn
post Feb 3 2018, 08:18 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(memphiz_zero88 @ Jan 30 2018, 05:10 PM)
I'm also collecting PC games and CE, but only starting recently. So no old schools games yet.
ooh i wanna see haha. CE also quite rare to find in Malaysia now, mostly i see are Starcraft and Diablo CE.
SUSadvocado
post Feb 5 2018, 10:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

CE games not really worth buying new coz most of the time their value drop like bitcoin. dunno why.

unless it's those that come with unique things like Fallout, or props.

older CE have more value because back then CE is very premium & rare items.
TSsvfn
post May 9 2018, 08:15 PM

Casual
497 posts

2 good games thumbsup.gif
TSsvfn
post May 22 2018, 06:02 PM

Casual
497 posts

PC gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-why-ive-start...ardboard-boxes/

Ion Maiden teaser:

This post has been edited by svfn: May 22 2018, 09:40 PM
mowlous
post Aug 14 2018, 12:19 PM

Casual
492 posts

I bought quite a lot of big box when one of the shop in lowyat close few years back for the nostalgic moment. My only real collection is total war 2 collectors edition cause I am a samurai and ninja fanatic.
TSsvfn
post Aug 17 2018, 07:43 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(mowlous @ Aug 14 2018, 12:19 PM)
I bought quite a lot of big box when one of the shop in lowyat close few years back for the nostalgic moment. My only real collection is total war 2 collectors edition cause I am a samurai and ninja fanatic.
really? what kind of games they had / you bought a lot? interested to hear more about it.

TW2 Shogun? saw that big box before, quite nice but rarely see Total War collectors outside of DVD case here.
mowlous
post Aug 17 2018, 09:40 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(svfn @ Aug 17 2018, 07:43 PM)
really? what kind of games they had / you bought a lot? interested to hear more about it.

TW2 Shogun? saw that big box before, quite nice but rarely see Total War collectors outside of DVD case here.
Oblivion, mafia, the sims medival, guild wars 2 civ 4, civ 5, hitman, batman, cs , orange box , screamer 2 and a lot more ....

My fav super old game that I also got is metal fatique, dark colony, return to krondor, king of dragon pass, get medieval, blood omen legacy of kain, master of orion 3.

Yea shogun 2 I bought the big box that comes with a figurine .... when it first launch, the ultimate collection that comes with chess board cannot find locally here. After that collector's box in malaysia become very rare, maybe those popular games like fallout 4 got, but other games that isn't too popular no longer have collector's edition here.
TSsvfn
post Aug 17 2018, 10:14 PM

Casual
497 posts

QUOTE(mowlous @ Aug 17 2018, 09:40 PM)
Oblivion, mafia, the sims medival, guild wars 2 civ 4, civ 5, hitman, batman, cs , orange box , screamer 2 and a lot more ....

My fav super old game that I also got is metal fatique, dark colony, return to krondor, king of dragon pass, get medieval, blood omen legacy of kain, master of orion 3.

Yea shogun 2 I bought the big box that comes with a figurine .... when it first launch, the ultimate collection that comes with chess board cannot find locally here. After that collector's box in malaysia become very rare, maybe those popular games like fallout 4 got, but other games that isn't too popular no longer have collector's edition here.
ooh Dark Colony! trying to find that as well, a little obscure now haha. i have GW2 but not CE haha.

quite a lot of titles there. yea the PC physicals died out here except the Blizzard titles and some of the more common ones, mostly console CE now.

it's a lonely and quiet place here, nice that you stopped by rclxm9.gif most welcome to join our local collector group if you'd like (old games/retro PC and collector stuff): https://www.facebook.com/groups/453817804660015/, or https://www.facebook.com/groups/2072580092760439/

This post has been edited by svfn: Nov 9 2018, 04:33 PM
mowlous
post Aug 17 2018, 10:39 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(svfn @ Aug 17 2018, 10:14 PM)
ooh Dark Colony! trying to find that as well, a little obscure now haha. i have GW2 but not CE haha.

quite a lot of titles there. yea the PC physicals died out here except the Blizzard titles and some of the more common ones, mostly console CE now.

it's a lonely and quiet place here, nice that you stopped by rclxm9.gif most welcome to join our local collector group if you'd like (old games/retro PC and collector stuff): https://www.facebook.com/groups/453817804660015/
As a kid back when working part time only get you a few 10 bucks as a kid per day I visit the den of pirates pretty often. As an adult there are some games you can no longer collect ori even if you could spend full price for them.

As I grow older I spend way more on art book then on game box since they are much easier to buy and find online then retro pc game.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:06 PM