Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Looking for 4K HDR Monitor, Use with Ps4 Pro

views

TSMorningBoyz
post Jan 21 2018, 04:22 PM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,458 posts

Planning to get a PS4 Pro so looking for a 4K HDR monitor recommendation.

would prefer monitor than TV due to limited space and my laptop and PS4 will connect to same monitor.

Been searching around and notice Acer ET430K but it is 43" too big for me. Also noticed Benq EW277HDR but it seem like not available.

So would appreciate any other recommendation of 4K HDR Monitor.

Many Thanks
weirdguy
post Apr 21 2018, 08:53 PM

On my way
587 posts

QUOTE(MorningBoyz @ Jan 21 2018, 04:22 PM)
Planning to get a PS4 Pro so looking for a 4K HDR monitor recommendation.

would prefer monitor than TV due to limited space and my laptop and PS4 will connect to same monitor.

Been searching around and notice Acer ET430K but it is 43" too big for me. Also noticed Benq EW277HDR but it seem like not available.

So would appreciate any other recommendation of 4K HDR Monitor.

Many Thanks
Any luck, MorningBoyz?
I'm also looking for one, but for a Xbox One X.

Dell has one affordable option - 2.5K but for merely a 27", Ultrasharp series.

This post has been edited by weirdguy: Apr 21 2018, 08:54 PM
TSMorningBoyz
post Apr 21 2018, 11:09 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

QUOTE(weirdguy @ Apr 21 2018, 08:53 PM)
Any luck, MorningBoyz?
I'm also looking for one, but for a Xbox One X.

Dell has one affordable option - 2.5K but for merely a 27", Ultrasharp series.
Price is not worth. So I bought 4K HDR TV
Convael
post Apr 21 2018, 11:19 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

I would not advise you guys to consider PC monitors for HDR Gaming if HDR is your concern.

The primary factors for display screen that contribute to the HDR are the Contrast ratio, Peak brightness , availability of zone / local dimming and Wide Colours Gamut.

The current MONITORS , despite the brand's best effort to advertise them as " HDR compatible " , they are unable to display the intended effect of HDR , if at all .
Including the high end pricey quantum dots monitors from Samsung .

Most HDR monitors have :
1) IPS panel , which have very poor contrast (less than 1 : 900, even a good VA monitor barely has 1 : 3000 , good HDR panel should have > 1 : 5000)

2) Poor brightness rating . To display HDR content highlights correctly , the display panel are supposed to have a peak brightness of at least 1000 cd/m2 , most HDR monitors barely have a peak brightness of 300 cd/m2 , that's far lower than the suggested numbers .

3) Most monitors lack wide color gamut , can't display the wide range of colour shades from HDR content which is one of the reason why you upgrade from SDR to HDR to begin with .

Therefore if you are looking for a monitor for HDR , might as well get a TV. Otherwise you are just wasting money to get a HDR display but you will not be seeing much difference from the normal SDR screen .

P/S : There is an upcoming 4k HDR monitor that is especially made for professional gaming alone , the almight Asus PG27UQ .
It has everything a good HDR TV has plus 144 refreshrate . Suppose to retail at $3500 , roughly RM 15000 + blink.gif
Asus PG27UQ

This post has been edited by Convael: Apr 21 2018, 11:33 PM
weirdguy
post Apr 22 2018, 05:29 PM

On my way
587 posts

QUOTE(MorningBoyz @ Apr 21 2018, 11:09 PM)
Price is not worth. So I bought 4K HDR TV
Yeah, I thought so too.
So mind to share what you had bought?

QUOTE(Convael @ Apr 21 2018, 11:19 PM)
I would not advise you guys to consider PC monitors for HDR Gaming if HDR is your concern.

The primary factors for display screen that contribute to the HDR are the Contrast ratio, Peak brightness , availability of zone / local dimming and Wide Colours Gamut.

The current MONITORS , despite the brand's best effort to advertise them as " HDR compatible "  , they are unable to display the intended effect of HDR , if at all .
Including the high end pricey quantum dots monitors from Samsung .

Most HDR monitors have :
1) IPS panel , which have very poor contrast (less than 1 : 900, even a good VA monitor barely has 1 : 3000 , good HDR panel should have > 1 : 5000)

2) Poor brightness rating . To display HDR content highlights correctly , the display panel are supposed to have a peak brightness of at least 1000 cd/m2  , most HDR monitors barely have a peak brightness of 300 cd/m2  , that's far lower than the suggested numbers .

3) Most monitors lack wide color gamut  , can't display the wide range of colour shades from HDR content which is one of the reason why you upgrade from SDR to HDR to begin with .

Therefore if you are looking for a monitor for HDR , might as well get a TV. Otherwise you are just wasting money to get a HDR display but you will not be seeing much difference from the normal SDR screen .
P/S : There is an upcoming 4k HDR monitor that is especially made for professional gaming alone ,  the almight Asus PG27UQ .
It has everything a good HDR TV has plus 144 refreshrate . Suppose to retail at $3500 , roughly RM 15000 + blink.gif
Asus PG27UQ
Haha. Yeah, Dell Ultrasharp has one model that explicitly stated its support for HDR10, but a mere 27" and yet, the price is above RM5K. Gila.

Thanks for the explanationConvael.
When looking through the TV Model, I got a feeling and understanding that the cheaper model is more consider HDR Ready, than Full-HDR Capable like HDR10. Like how it was used to be HD-Ready and Full HD. Mind to share your thought on this?
TSMorningBoyz
post Apr 23 2018, 03:12 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

If 4K real HDR monitor priced fairly and reasonably then of course would have taken monitor. Gaming with monitor is always pleasent. But look at that price, would rather option for a TV for now. Untill monitor price drop to reasonable range.

Bought an LG TV for a very low price due to promo and vouher. So that would do for now.
calvinlaw510
post Apr 25 2018, 01:31 PM

Enthusiast
766 posts

The first DisplayHDR 1000 monitor is a 43-inch model from Philips

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-first-displayhd...l-from-philips/
Vannus
post May 6 2018, 02:20 PM

Geeks
909 posts

QUOTE(calvinlaw510 @ Apr 25 2018, 01:31 PM)

This is a good monitor true hdr or hdr10. But 43 inches as PC monitor? Wonder how to adjust my eye to adapt. I still prefer 32 inches max with 4k hdr10 and 10bit color gamut. Anywhere got sell this spec?
Convael
post May 6 2018, 03:28 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(calvinlaw510 @ Apr 25 2018, 01:31 PM)

I remain skeptical of its HDR capabilities , even as a professional workflow Monitor , a 43 inches $1000 USD HDR monitor sounds too good to be true.

As I have stated in previous posts , HDR is more than brightness and wide color gamut .

A good HDR display must also have a good , Full Array Local dimming system and so far this monitor has yet to mention any sort of local dimming system at all .
There are also other factors to consider , including the Colour accuracy and colours volume .

If someone must get a HDR monitor for work and gaming purpose I would suggest this
DELL UP2718Q roughly Rm9000 market price

With FALD , the contrast goes as high as 1 : 17000 , along with a 99% sRGB color coverage and impressive DCI-P3 coverage as well.

Peak brightness is measured at 1100 cd/m² , truly an amazing device for HDR output.

This post has been edited by Convael: Jun 5 2018, 06:06 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.59    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:07 AM