Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Basic chromatic exercise

views

TShonkkydorry
post Jan 16 2018, 05:04 PM, updated 7y ago

On my way
671 posts

I went for my first guitar lesson and I find that doing basic chromatic exercise is challenging sad.gif My fingers are short and it is difficult to stretch but worse is that my 3 fingers tend to pop up when I am pressing one finger down on the string. As such I go very very slowly pressing one string at a time. I try to be conscious and keep them down but they won't stay down.

I watched a few Youtube videos on this and they seem to do the exercise so effortlessly. I read one article where one guy said he got bored when he was first taught chromatic exercise cos it was too easy for him. ohmy.gif

If doing chromatic exercise is already difficult for me, do I have any hope to be able to play the guitar? I know practice makes perfect. I am trying to put in as much practice time as possible but seeing me going on one by one string is really frustrating.

This post has been edited by honkkydorry: Jan 16 2018, 05:04 PM
+3kk!
post Jan 16 2018, 05:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

assuming you are new to it, it would take time as you are kinda working your fingers out.

its the same as how chords would take a while

then comes the real test, barre chord

id say guitar is harder at the start where you need a few months to get somewhat proficient, but not as hard later on as with just a few chords you can play about 80% of the tunes in the known world
Everdying
post Jan 16 2018, 07:10 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

yea, just keep at it.
chromatics are essential in building finger strength...
or u can also buy something like this.
user posted image
TShonkkydorry
post Jan 16 2018, 09:28 PM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ Jan 16 2018, 07:10 PM)
yea, just keep at it.
chromatics are essential in building finger strength...
or u can also buy something like this.
user posted image
Where to get this? Music shop sells this?
Everdying
post Jan 16 2018, 09:33 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(honkkydorry @ Jan 16 2018, 09:28 PM)
Where to get this? Music shop sells this?
most... got diff tensions... go try and see.
Username is for the weak
post Jan 16 2018, 09:57 PM

Casual
301 posts

Short fingers are not an excuse
Go YouTube and watch kids like Sungha Jung when they were 8 or 7
With those little hands and short fingers they can perform a fingerstyle song effortlessly
Unless your fingers are even shorter than a 7-year-old kid
led_zep_freak
post Jan 17 2018, 11:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

We all have been there.
Don't get too caught up with chromatic exercises, because in the end the purpose is to be able to play music. Take it slowly, practise and most importantly, enjoy the process. Soon you'll be rewarded. Good luck!
TShonkkydorry
post Jan 18 2018, 09:07 AM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(Username is for the weak @ Jan 16 2018, 09:57 PM)
Short fingers are not an excuse
Go YouTube and watch kids like Sungha Jung when they were 8 or 7
With those little hands and short fingers they can perform a fingerstyle song effortlessly
Unless your fingers are even shorter than a 7-year-old kid
Don't get me wrong, I am not using my short fingers as an excuse but I know I will need more effort. My little pinkie is only about 2 inches though, is that considered short? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
TShonkkydorry
post Jan 18 2018, 09:11 AM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(led_zep_freak @ Jan 17 2018, 11:44 PM)
We all have been there.
Don't get too caught up with chromatic exercises, because in the end the purpose is to be able to play music. Take it slowly, practise and most importantly, enjoy the process. Soon you'll be rewarded. Good luck!
Thanks. I think maybe I am putting a little pressure on myself cos I want to show my guitar teacher how much progress I've made from that first class smile.gif
LeaSe*lineR
post Jan 18 2018, 11:47 AM

On my way
622 posts

slowly practice until your pinky finger didnt give any fret buzz etc anymore, doesnt matter in slow or fast tempo
TShonkkydorry
post Jan 18 2018, 02:32 PM

On my way
671 posts

Hey guys, how would we know when it is necessary to change guitar strings?. My guitar Yamaha f310 is a 2 year old guitar with original strings except for the D string which broke twice before. Last night as I was practising, I noticed a lot of buzz sounds.

Also, every few days when I checked the guitar with tuner, it is no longer very accurate and seems like need to tune. Is this something that is normal?
+3kk!
post Jan 18 2018, 03:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

2-3 weeks on average, depending on how you sweat and how much you like the new string sound and its stability.

if elixirs they can last a month or up to 6 for a case queen

TShonkkydorry
post Jan 29 2018, 09:40 AM

On my way
671 posts

It has been 2 weeks since my first guitar lesson. My chromatic practice has been going pretty well, I must say smile.gif Not able to go fast yet and still struggling sometimes with finger pressure on 6th and 5th strings but I can feel my fingers able to stretch a little better than my first week of practice.

Is it normal to be introduced to the F chord as early as the first lesson? I am referring to the one where the index and middle fingers are on 1st and 2nd string, not the full F barre chord. It was a total failure for me trying to practice this chord on the first week but surprisingly was able to play the chord during the later part of my 2nd week's practice though it is still sometimes hit and miss. Now I need to make sure I can consistently hit the chord.
pleasuresaurus
post Jan 30 2018, 08:03 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

This whole guitar thing is all muscle memory and reflex. Its just like any repetitive physical action - driving a car, playing golf, gaming etc. It takes a while for ur hands, ur fingers to soak the motions and get used to it. Depending on how intricate the movements are, it will take a really long while.

Therefore...

Patience! Just stick with it for a while - back in the day, it took me at least 2 months just to be able to hold major/minor chords, and another 1 just to be able to shift from one to another. I would suggest keeping a note to track ur progress so its clearer to see how far u have improved over time. I've been playing 20 years and I still do so, its a helpful tool to stay motivated.

How to know when to change strings: when u start to asking "should i change..." its too late di, change it! sweat.gif

I know an exercise that can help with that whole "fingers popping up" thingie but forgot the vdo link di sweat.gif
+3kk!
post Jan 30 2018, 10:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(honkkydorry @ Jan 29 2018, 09:40 AM)
It has been 2 weeks since my first guitar lesson.  My chromatic practice has been going pretty well, I must say smile.gif  Not able to go fast yet and still struggling sometimes with finger pressure on 6th and 5th strings but I can feel my fingers able to stretch a little better than my first week of practice.

Is it normal to be introduced to the F chord as early as the first lesson? I am referring to the one where the index and middle fingers are on 1st and 2nd string, not the full F barre chord.  It was a total failure for me trying to practice this chord on the first week but surprisingly was able to play the chord during the later part of my 2nd week's practice though it is still sometimes hit and miss. Now I need to make sure I can consistently hit the chord.
Any music instrument or any skill worth learning is a lifelong process. it is not something you wake up in the morning spend 6 months and wallah, skill , most of the guys here been playing since a decade ago, some more, and we are still learning.

So yes, there will be failures and frustration (hell i lost like 5-10 bpm on technical difficulties last week) but its all part of the learning experience.

with patienc and just working on it, it will come

TShonkkydorry
post Feb 5 2018, 02:32 PM

On my way
671 posts

This is probably no big deal to most of you but I just have to report that I am finally able to hold down my fingers while doing the chromatics exercise. Just out of the blue yesterday, I was finally able to master it. So motivated now to continue my exercise practice..haha. Next goal is to increase on the speed.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:33 AM