Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fish Breeding to support hobby, Knowledge sharing required

views

TSjichuen
post Jan 14 2018, 08:18 AM, updated 7y ago

On my way
627 posts

Hi sifu sifu and fellows who are into fishes

I currently have some interest in keeping fishes / crayfishes / prawn (you get what i mean. LOL )

However i do know their expenses sometimes can get really high to maintain them

I was thinking what if i could breed certain species of fish to maintain this hobby.

My past personal experience of keeping fishes were koi and those tiger fishes when i was younger.

Based of my research only fishes like arowana, kamfa have value. Even discus can some times be really cheap

Would and of you experience keeper or breeder share some experience?

Would love to hear all of them and learn from it. Be it be fishes or crayfish.

edmund90
post Jan 14 2018, 09:55 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

It depends on what kind of fish u r interested in.
I am breeding discus to support my fish hobby. I dont sell my fish cheap. Ppl usually sell their fish cheap is because they only want fast money but not to support the hobby n effort.
TSjichuen
post Jan 15 2018, 01:02 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(edmund90 @ Jan 14 2018, 09:55 PM)
It depends on what kind of fish u r interested in.
I am breeding discus to support my fish hobby. I dont sell my fish cheap. Ppl usually sell their fish cheap is because they only want fast money but not to support the hobby n effort.
Wow thats interesting.

How are your fishes? How many pairs do you own? and what are the range that youre selling per discus and to whom?

So many question to ask.

I have thought about discus but i saw people selling about 35 each which is almost impossible to sustain the hobby.

I have done some research about it and particularly like the king of DIY who did some explanation on youtube and the details of it.
edmund90
post Jan 15 2018, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(jichuen @ Jan 15 2018, 01:02 AM)
Wow thats interesting.

How are your fishes? How many pairs do you own? and what are the range that youre selling per discus and to whom?

So many question to ask.

I have thought about discus but i saw people selling about 35 each which is almost impossible to sustain the hobby.

I have done some research about it and particularly like the king of DIY who did some explanation on youtube and the details of it.
I only keep 1 pair at the moment. I sell my discus in the range from rm1xx to rm2xx per piece of 4inch and above. RM35/pc mayb r those small fish.

Due to I want to choose the best from the spawn so i only i sell adult fish. To further save cost, i prepare own food instead of buying ready food.

You can easily post your fish in the internet to sell off your fish. But of course dont hope u post today and it will sold immediately. Depends luck also. Othwerwise u can opt to sell to lfs
TSjichuen
post Jan 16 2018, 03:50 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(edmund90 @ Jan 15 2018, 06:01 PM)
I only keep 1 pair at the moment. I sell my discus in the range from rm1xx to rm2xx per piece of 4inch and above. RM35/pc mayb r those small fish.

Due to I want to choose the best from the spawn so i only i sell adult fish.  To further save cost, i prepare own food instead of buying ready food.

You can easily post your fish in the internet to sell off your fish. But of course dont hope u post today and it will sold immediately. Depends luck also. Othwerwise u can opt to sell to lfs
just one pair? hahha. did you got lucky by mating them or you purposely bought a pair?

just out of curiosity. why small fish cost less than larger fish? i mean i dont mind buying smaller then grow them up. no?

the youtube guy also makes his own food to cut cost. Based on your experience how frequent do you sell them? and what the price range lfs would offer you?

theres so much to learn from you sifu notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
edmund90
post Jan 16 2018, 09:17 AM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(jichuen @ Jan 16 2018, 03:50 AM)
just one pair? hahha. did you got lucky by mating them or you purposely bought a pair?

just out of curiosity. why small fish cost less than larger fish? i mean i dont mind buying smaller then grow them up. no?

the youtube guy also makes his own food to cut cost. Based on your experience how frequent do you sell them? and what the price range lfs would offer you?

theres so much to learn from you sifu  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
I purposely bought a pair.

Large fish is much more expensive simply because they require more time and food to grow. Well, it depends on what u wanted to sell. I dont sell that often due to i get what I want and sell those i dont need. Maybe once a year for the moment.

If u keep as hobby then there will be no problem if u think of earning a lot from it, then good luck. U will soon be those who sell rm35/pc fish soon.

Fish price will depends on size and grade.

I also newbie jek.. just share share what i have going through.
TSjichuen
post Jan 16 2018, 11:15 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(edmund90 @ Jan 16 2018, 09:17 AM)
I purposely bought a pair.

Large fish is much more expensive simply because they require more time and food to grow. Well, it depends on what u wanted to sell. I dont sell that often due to i get what I want and sell those i dont need. Maybe once a year for the moment.

If u keep as hobby then there will be no problem if u think of earning a lot from it, then good luck. U will soon be those who sell rm35/pc fish soon.

Fish price will depends on size and grade.

I also newbie jek.. just share share what i have going through.
how much did you got for the pair? and they start breeding right away after you bought them?

i watch videos they say sometimes you buy back wont even breed due to the environment.

hmm. thats interesting. do you mix type of keep one kind. hahah

how long have you been keeping discus? i plan to keep as a hobby but need something to maintain. not here to make profit.

i know its hard unless you open a breeding farm. hahaha
edmund90
post Jan 17 2018, 12:39 AM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(jichuen @ Jan 16 2018, 11:15 AM)
how much did you got for the pair? and they start breeding right away after you bought them?

i watch videos they say sometimes you buy back wont even breed due to the environment.

hmm. thats interesting. do you mix type of keep one kind. hahah

how long have you been keeping discus? i plan to keep as a hobby but need something to maintain. not here to make profit.

i know its hard unless you open a breeding farm. hahaha
A pair of discus can be easily around rm3xx to rm1xxx. Depends quality.

I have been keeping discus for 3-4 years. Only last year started to breed n sell discus.

To maintain keeping the hobby wont cost much i guess. Only the initial cost (buy tank, fish, pump, accessories,etc) is expensive. Then is jus water & electric bill. Food depends the number of fish u keep lo
TSjichuen
post Jan 20 2018, 08:27 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(edmund90 @ Jan 17 2018, 12:39 AM)
A pair of discus can be easily around rm3xx to rm1xxx. Depends quality.

I have been keeping discus for 3-4 years. Only last year started to breed n sell discus.

To maintain keeping the hobby wont cost much i guess. Only the initial cost (buy tank, fish, pump, accessories,etc) is expensive. Then is jus water & electric bill. Food depends the number of fish u keep lo
Hahaha. Any recommended seller? you're tempting me so bad right now.

So far did it cover the cost or you still need to top up?

But i feel like pairing them myself and starting from young. hahha. Just the satisfaction. Would you recommend?

edmund90
post Jan 20 2018, 10:22 AM

Getting Started
171 posts

QUOTE(jichuen @ Jan 20 2018, 08:27 AM)
Hahaha. Any recommended seller? you're tempting me so bad right now.

So far did it cover the cost or you still need to top up?

But i feel like pairing them myself and starting from young. hahha. Just the satisfaction. Would you recommend?
Erm, i din really make any calculation or set an account for my fish room only. But i think is still topping up because i keep on add stuff and modify my homemade food.

But is not far from the ROI if i din factor in my time and utilities.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:09 AM