Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop slow boot up problem, Windows 10

views

netmatrix
post Jan 11 2018, 07:43 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Since you reinstalled. I assume you used the built in reset feature? If you are not going to retain data, i recommend you do it the USB way.

Download the lastest Windows installation via media creation tool. Should be ver 1709. Run the installation and choose not to keep anything.

After final restart, run windows update immediately. Should wait around half to 1 hour depending on how much drivers, windows update is needed and also your internet speed.

The PC should run as fast as when you bought it new after this.
sHawTY
post Jan 11 2018, 08:13 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(koidekuchi13 @ Jan 11 2018, 07:43 PM)
Great info. Thanks a lot. But i checked mine theres no msata ssd slot. But that dvd drive replacement seems great idea
y480 definitely has an mSATA slot
Look again bro
Xaser_3
post Jan 12 2018, 12:28 AM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,456 posts

Lets us know the outcome after you get your machine back. Curious to know if the problem still persist after the wipe and re-installation. Cheers Bro.
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 12 2018, 07:42 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 11 2018, 07:43 PM)
Since you reinstalled. I assume you used the built in reset feature? If you are not going to retain data, i recommend you do it the USB way.

Download the lastest Windows installation via media creation tool. Should be ver 1709. Run the installation and choose not to keep anything.

After final restart, run windows update immediately. Should wait around half to 1 hour depending on how much drivers, windows update is needed and also your internet speed.

I want to keep my data thats why. I was using media creator tools to reinstall, that was when i able to login to windows. Sometimes the screen just went black didnt even log in. After reinstall its just the same. Slow and sluggish. But yeah i already sent it fix to pc service shop anyway
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 12 2018, 07:43 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 11 2018, 07:43 PM)

I want to keep my data thats why. I was using media creator tools to reinstall, that was when i able to login to windows. Sometimes the screen just went black didnt even log in. After reinstall its just the same. Slow and sluggish. But yeah i already sent it fix to pc service shop anyway
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 12 2018, 07:43 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Jan 12 2018, 12:28 AM)
Lets us know the outcome after you get your machine back. Curious to know if the problem still persist after the wipe and re-installation. Cheers Bro.
I wil let you know soon
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 12 2018, 07:45 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jan 11 2018, 08:13 PM)
y480 definitely has an mSATA slot
Look again bro
No bro. Mine doesnt. Somehow before this ive seen videos on youtube some y480 model have m2 slot, and i checked mine afterwards mine doesnt have it. Might be mine different serial number series or idk
sHawTY
post Jan 12 2018, 11:53 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(koidekuchi13 @ Jan 12 2018, 07:45 AM)
No bro. Mine doesnt. Somehow before this ive seen videos on youtube some y480 model have m2 slot, and i checked mine afterwards mine doesnt have it. Might be mine different serial number series or idk
y480 definitely has 1 x mSATA slot
And y480/y580 does not have m.2 slot, only Lenovo y410/y510 has M.2 slot

Please refer to the image below for the location of the mSATA slot

user posted image
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 12 2018, 01:12 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jan 12 2018, 11:53 AM)
y480 definitely has 1 x mSATA slot
And y480/y580 does not have m.2 slot, only Lenovo y410/y510 has M.2 slot

Please refer to the image below for the location of the mSATA slot

user posted image
Didnt noticed that on that area. Ill ask the technician to take photo or maybe ill take photo by myself to check. Btw do you fix laptop as well?
UserU
post Jan 12 2018, 08:49 PM

CSONLINE2.NET - FREE COUNTER-STRIKE
Group Icon
Elite
5,013 posts

On an unrelated note, I installed W10 on my Y410P. Installed SSD afterwards via the mSATA slot.

Never had any boot issues. W10 is on par, if not better than W7.
Hevlaska
post Jan 13 2018, 12:42 AM

Casual
366 posts

Don't be so fast to jump the gun on win 10. I know many users has issue with it, then again ask yourself, which windows never had any issue?

As far as i can tell, win 10 seems to be one of the best (in my case). Never had much problem with it, it works great and super snappy.

For TS problem, SSD is the quick answer for fast boot, you don't need 512gb/1tb SSD , just use a basic 256gb or so for your primary OS drive and move your current HDD and use it as a storage on a optical HDD caddy as Shawty suggested.

If your same HDD was booting fine, then suddenly slow down, there may be other underlying problems and you can check via windows log to see whats taking up so much time to boot following these guides.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/m...lp-of-msconfig/

Most of the time, a simple bios update or roll back can help, sata drivers are also often the culprit for boot problems.

TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 13 2018, 09:09 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Hevlaska @ Jan 13 2018, 12:42 AM)
Don't be so fast to jump the gun on win 10. I know many users has issue with it, then again ask yourself, which windows never had any issue?

As far as i can tell, win 10 seems to be one of the best (in my case). Never had much problem with it, it works great and super snappy.

For TS problem, SSD is the quick answer for fast boot, you don't need 512gb/1tb SSD , just use a basic 256gb or so for your primary OS drive and move your current HDD and use it as a storage on a optical HDD caddy as Shawty suggested.

If your same HDD was booting fine, then suddenly slow down, there may be other underlying problems and you can check via windows log to see whats taking up so much time to boot following these guides.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/m...lp-of-msconfig/

Most of the time, a simple bios update or roll back can help, sata drivers are also often the culprit for boot problems.
I just received whatsapp this morning. The technician said the hdd is the main problem. Need to replace. But to recover the files its 50-50 and have to do deep recovery, he said something about recovering the files from bios mode and little bit expensive than usual recovery. Is it true? Saw on youtube most dead hdd can be read if you connect it externally with usb or enclosure. For some reason if anyone can explain to me deep recovery from bios mode method. Does it recover the old files because i dont want some of my data get stolen.

This post has been edited by koidekuchi13: Jan 13 2018, 09:13 AM
Hevlaska
post Jan 13 2018, 09:23 AM

Casual
366 posts

thats weird, why do they need to do that?

To my understanding, your HDD problem is slow boot, not dead. Even if there is a real need to recover data, you can always just slowly wait for it to boot then copy your files manually to another drive. Why do they need recover via non-windows recovery?

I cant be 100% sure, but it doesnt sound right to me.

And regarding privacy, the moment you send your PC over for repairs, the risk already exist that they may have your data.

This post has been edited by Hevlaska: Jan 13 2018, 09:24 AM
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 13 2018, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Hevlaska @ Jan 13 2018, 09:23 AM)
thats weird, why do they need to do that?

To my understanding, your HDD problem is slow boot, not dead. Even if there is a real need to recover data, you can always just slowly wait for it to boot then copy your files manually to another drive. Why do they need recover via non-windows recovery?

I cant be 100% sure, but it doesnt sound right to me.

And regarding privacy, the moment you send your PC over for repairs, the risk already exist that they may have your data.
Well its not only slow boot. But blue screen as well. It appears multiple error codes. It might be true because of the hdd problem itself. But the recovery method seems like i havent heard about it. Any method to recover files rather than deep recovery thing? So i can do it by myself
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 13 2018, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Up
acbc
post Jan 13 2018, 03:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Just upgrade to 120GB for SSD as OS startup disk. And 1TB to replace the DVD drive. No one uses DVD anymore so it is redundant.

Even for my 2010 MacBook, I threw away the DVD drive and shoved a 500GB HDD inside. Now, I've both 200GB SSD as primary boot up and 500GB as storage. Bought some cheap 64GB slim USB stick for storing temp files and ram drive.
sHawTY
post Jan 13 2018, 03:37 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

Just get a 250GB/256GB mSATA SSD to install the operating system, applications & games then get up to a 2TB conventional 2.5" HDD to store your documents, videos, photos and the rest

If you have the budget, you can even get 2x2TB 2.5" conventional HDD with the dual HDD caddy that you convert the DVD drive too
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 13 2018, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jan 13 2018, 03:37 PM)
Just get a 250GB/256GB mSATA SSD to install the operating system, applications & games then get up to a 2TB conventional 2.5" HDD to store your documents, videos, photos and the rest

If you have the budget, you can even get 2x2TB 2.5" conventional HDD with the dual HDD caddy that you convert the DVD drive too
I might go buy new laptop instead. Its hard when i dont have backup pc or laptop. Got stuck to finish my video editing work. Btw the technician told me that my hdd wont able to do normal recovery, have to do recovery with bios mode and the chance for it is 50-50. I did backup my files on external hard disk anyway but if im able to recover some of the files from the broken hdd might be good since my adobe premiere pro color preset all still there. But somehow i never heard his method of recovering with bios mode. Can anyone comment about this?
sHawTY
post Jan 13 2018, 04:19 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(koidekuchi13 @ Jan 13 2018, 03:43 PM)
I might go buy new laptop instead. Its hard when i dont have backup pc or laptop. Got stuck to finish my video editing work. Btw the technician told me that my hdd wont able to do normal recovery, have to do recovery with bios mode and the chance for it is 50-50. I did backup my files on external hard disk anyway but if im able to recover some of the files from the broken hdd might be good since my adobe premiere pro color preset all still there. But somehow i never heard his method of recovering with bios mode. Can anyone comment about this?
File recovery is time consuming + very expensive
TSkoidekuchi13
post Jan 14 2018, 01:56 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jan 13 2018, 04:19 PM)
File recovery is time consuming + very expensive
Received laptop yesterday. Its as good as new now. Change hdd and reformat. But the old hdd, technician said the problem with the hdd is its freeze. So its hard to save old data. I already made backup with external hdd but yea my editing presets all gone. Have to start frm scratch. Anyway if anyone know any method or any service centre that able to recover file from freeze hdd. Because even the technician said its 50-50 to recover the file frm that faulty hdd

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:57 PM