Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I need help choosing !, Laptops for school

views

TSimhorknee
post Jan 9 2018, 09:41 PM, updated 7y ago

1 posts

Hi, I need help choosing a new laptop for college. Im doing software engineering and often do some photo shooting and editing. I also plan to pick up video editing in the future. My budget is around RM6.5K (lower is better) . Im looking for something not too bulky and weighs <3kg. I plan to bring my work along with me wherever I go.

I've done some minor research before, and I've been told that i don't need such a beast of a processor like the i7-7700HQ for editing. Not that i don't want it but I'd like to go for the cheaper yet usable option. I also would prefer a nice display like thin bezels, don't really need the 4K though. Something with minimum 4-5 hrs of battery life.

I play mostly light games like League of Legends and some other titles but don't play much heavy graphic requiring games because I'm too broke to afford games on Steam (maybe one day lol). But nonetheless I'm open to suggestions and advice biggrin.gif

MKCL
post Feb 1 2018, 03:19 AM

Casual
304 posts

QUOTE(imhorknee @ Jan 9 2018, 09:41 PM)
Hi, I need help choosing a  new laptop for college. Im doing software engineering and often do some photo shooting and editing. I also plan to pick up video editing in the future. My budget is around RM6.5K (lower is better) . Im looking for something not too bulky and weighs <3kg. I plan to bring my work along with me wherever I go.

I've done some minor research before, and I've been told that i don't need such a beast of a processor like the i7-7700HQ for editing. Not that i don't want it but I'd like to go for the cheaper yet usable option. I also would prefer a nice display like thin bezels, don't really need the 4K though. Something with minimum 4-5 hrs of battery life.

I play mostly light games like League of Legends and some other titles but don't play much heavy graphic requiring games because I'm too broke to afford games on Steam (maybe one day lol). But nonetheless I'm open to suggestions and advice  biggrin.gif
you can easily get lenovo legion y520 with gtx1050 and i7 7700hq, 8gb ram for 3k. 6.5k for laptop but no money for steam ? that's like saying I got money to buy BMW but no money to pay for Ex5 motorcycle

This post has been edited by MKCL: Feb 1 2018, 03:25 AM
firefoxian
post Feb 1 2018, 03:34 AM

Yes! I got WARN!
995 posts

QUOTE(MKCL @ Jan 31 2018, 09:19 PM)
you can easily get lenovo legion y520 with gtx1050 and i7 7700hq, 8gb ram for 3k. 6.5k for laptop but no money for steam ? that's like saying I got money to buy BMW but no money to pay for Ex5 motorcycle
wrong analogy. more like I got money to buy BMW but I got no money to pay petrol.
MKCL
post Feb 1 2018, 02:51 PM

Casual
304 posts

QUOTE(firefoxian @ Feb 1 2018, 03:34 AM)
wrong analogy. more like I got money to buy BMW but I got no money to pay petrol.
games are real cheap on steam sales, and games are not subscriptions so its still a one off thing. I can get shadow of morder GOTY edition for rm18 and less on Steam sale
potatoesn
post Feb 23 2018, 11:02 AM

31 posts

Recommend for you : dell vostro new models
HonMun
post Feb 23 2018, 11:05 AM

Professor
1,050 posts

AMD new proc ok ah ? Seems like goodie !
miyakochan89
post Feb 23 2018, 05:19 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(MKCL @ Feb 1 2018, 03:19 AM)
I also recommend this one, it's very light. And the fan designs are good, it has a set of fan to draw the air, and another set of fans on another vent to dissipate the heat, which helps with the cooling (don't know if other brands have it or not, I didn't check enough). You can easily upgrade the RAM and i think the highest specs is about 4.5~5k.

This post has been edited by miyakochan89: Feb 23 2018, 05:21 PM
HillTop
post Feb 28 2018, 06:26 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

you can try to look for MSI GP62-2621 model..
taitianhin
post Feb 28 2018, 06:35 PM

This is
1,322 posts

Hi, I need help choosing a  new laptop for college. Im doing software engineering and often do some photo shooting and editing. I also plan to pick up video editing in the future. My budget is around RM6.5K (lower is better) . Im looking for something not too bulky and weighs <3kg. I plan to bring my work along with me wherever I go.

I play mostly light games like League of Legends and some other titles but don't play much heavy graphic requiring games because I'm too broke to afford games on Steam (maybe one day lol). But nonetheless I'm open to suggestions and advice  biggrin.gif
Any i5-i7 Asus laptop ranging from RM2K is RM4K is more then what you needed. i5 might be nice already... just make sure you have plenty of RAM for graphic software.
If you are not into graphic software, any i5 will do
taitianhin
post Feb 28 2018, 06:36 PM

This is
1,322 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Feb 23 2018, 05:19 PM)
I also recommend this one, it's very light. And the fan designs are good, it has a set of fan to draw the air, and another set of fans on another vent to dissipate the heat, which helps with the cooling (don't know if other brands have it or not, I didn't check enough). You can easily upgrade the RAM and i think the highest specs is about 4.5~5k.
I have been thinking abt this recently...
My new answer is...not to ask for it.
The vendor will just give you some cheap brand RAM with slow HZ....so just do the RAM upgrade ourselves to be safe
miyakochan89
post Feb 28 2018, 06:59 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(taitianhin @ Feb 28 2018, 06:36 PM)
I have been thinking abt this recently...
My new answer is...not to ask for it.
The vendor will just give you some cheap brand RAM with slow HZ....so just do the RAM upgrade ourselves to be safe
I did my own upgrade. But many people will just request, it's easier. You will be surprised that a lot of people aren't that tech savvy.
sachiko_118
post Mar 2 2018, 03:15 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

base on your requirement, you should look for those model that can have color accuracy to support your photo shooting & editing.
I would like to propose u to look for GP62M 7REX with i7-7700Q, NVidia GTX1050ti 4G GDDR5, 128GB M.2 SSD, RGB Steelseries Keyboard, 8GB DDR4. this model come with 15.6" Full HD and Vivid Color 94% (color accuracy support). this model is within your budget RM4,799.00 thumbup.gif
mega_shok.gif
1depp1
post Mar 23 2018, 02:30 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(sachiko_118 @ Mar 2 2018, 03:15 PM)
base on your requirement, you should look for those model that can have color accuracy to support your photo shooting & editing.
I would like to propose u to look for GP62M 7REX with i7-7700Q, NVidia GTX1050ti 4G GDDR5, 128GB M.2 SSD, RGB Steelseries Keyboard, 8GB DDR4. this model come with 15.6" Full HD and Vivid Color 94% (color accuracy support). this model is within your budget RM4,799.00  thumbup.gif
mega_shok.gif
hmm.. interesting..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.69    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:49 AM