Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Vibrating When Accelerating At High Speed, Opinions Needed

views

TSCyanT
post Jan 9 2018, 04:55 PM, updated 7y ago

Regular
1,232 posts

Hi guys,

I am currently driving a 5 years old VW Polo Sedan.
Recently I have noticed that my car is vibrating quite badly when accelerating at high speed. For example when I am cruising on highway at 110 km/h, it is fine, but as soon as I accelerate to overtake, I will notice strong vibration that is coming from the front. It also vibrates when it is climbing a slope.
When I am cruising or accelerating at lower speed (less than 90 km/h), it is not noticeable.

I have checked my tyres, and they are all fine, no bumps. The tyres are also new, which have just been aligned and balance 3 months ago.

Any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Thank you.
BlaBlaBoy
post Jan 9 2018, 04:59 PM

Make Malaysia a peaceful land
1,028 posts

Do your steering vibrates as well?
e-fatty
post Jan 9 2018, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

Go do wheel balancing, usually will have vibration >120kmh if its not balanced properly.

EngKokCiao

29 posts

tayar belensing
louis79

Getting Started
97 posts

Front Drive Shaft problem? Car Mechanics or tyre shop should able to tell your problem...
TSCyanT
post Jan 9 2018, 05:03 PM

Regular
1,232 posts

QUOTE(BlaBlaBoy @ Jan 9 2018, 04:59 PM)
Do your steering vibrates as well?
No I don't think so. When I'm driving I feel like the vibration comes from the engine bay or front tyres. In fact when I felt the vibration I stopped and checked my tyres for bumps, but there's nothing.

Thank you.
isr25
post Jan 9 2018, 05:04 PM

Regular
1,189 posts

If it just happened since 3 months ago - tyre balancing / alignment might not be done correctly, since you just changed them.

Also, check

1. Rims - maybe you hit a pothole and the rims are bent?
2. Engine mounts
3. Steering tie rods
BlaBlaBoy
post Jan 9 2018, 05:05 PM

1,028 posts

Normally when you speed and vibrate, it is the balancing of the tyres.. Drive to tyre shop and tell the tyres man vibrate at certain speed. Well Rm5-6 for a tyres and hope RM20+ can fix the problem.
TSCyanT
post Jan 9 2018, 05:33 PM

Regular
1,232 posts

QUOTE(isr25 @ Jan 9 2018, 05:04 PM)
If it just happened since 3 months ago - tyre balancing / alignment might not be done correctly, since you just changed them.

Also, check

1. Rims - maybe you hit a pothole and the rims are bent?
2. Engine mounts
3. Steering tie rods
Thank you. I changed tyres 3 months ago, but just happened a few days ago. Is there any way to check the mounts and steering tie rods?

QUOTE(BlaBlaBoy @ Jan 9 2018, 05:05 PM)
Normally when you speed and vibrate, it is the balancing of the tyres.. Drive to tyre shop and tell the tyres man vibrate at certain speed. Well Rm5-6 for a tyres and hope RM20+ can fix the problem.
Thank you. However the car only vibrates when accelerating. If I'm cruising on a flat road at 110 km/h, then it's fine. However if I'm climbing a slope at the same speed (engine revs higher), it vibrates. Nevertheless I'll bring it to a tyre shop and do balancing again to make sure.
6UE5T
post Jan 9 2018, 05:41 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(CyanT @ Jan 9 2018, 05:33 PM)
Thank you. I changed tyres 3 months ago, but just happened a few days ago. Is there any way to check the mounts and steering tie rods?
Thank you. However the car only vibrates when accelerating. If I'm cruising on a flat road at 110 km/h, then it's fine. However if I'm climbing a slope at the same speed (engine revs higher), it vibrates. Nevertheless I'll bring it to a tyre shop and do balancing again to make sure.
If not happening on certain constant speeds and only during acceleration then it's not balancing, so no need to bring to a tire shop. Vibration due to balancing will be felt at certain high speeds even at constant cruising, not just accelerating. I suspect is some engine or transmission mounting already spoiled hence when it's on sudden heavy load, the stronger vibration cannot be contained by the mountings.
TSCyanT
post Jan 9 2018, 05:46 PM

Regular
1,232 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jan 9 2018, 05:41 PM)
If not happening on certain constant speeds and only during acceleration then it's not balancing, so no need to bring to a tire shop. Vibration due to balancing will be felt at certain high speeds even at constant cruising, not just accelerating. I suspect is some engine or transmission mounting already spoiled hence when it's on sudden heavy load, the stronger vibration cannot be contained by the mountings.
That's the most possible issue I believe. I just noticed there's a kickback when the gear downshifted from D3 to D2. However it only happens intermittently.
Any idea about how much those mounts would cost?

Thank you.
yiwee
post Jan 9 2018, 05:50 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

drive shaft...
changed mne
6UE5T
post Jan 9 2018, 05:53 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(CyanT @ Jan 9 2018, 05:46 PM)
That's the most possible issue I believe. I just noticed there's a kickback when the gear downshifted from D3 to D2. However it only happens intermittently.
Any idea about how much those mounts would cost?

Thank you.
No idea, never own that car before.
voscar
post Jan 9 2018, 06:59 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

QUOTE(CyanT @ Jan 9 2018, 04:55 PM)
Hi guys,

I am currently driving a 5 years old VW Polo Sedan.
Recently I have noticed that my car is vibrating quite badly when accelerating at high speed. For example when I am cruising on highway at 110 km/h, it is fine, but as soon as I accelerate to overtake, I will notice strong vibration that is coming from the front. It also vibrates when it is climbing a slope.
When I am cruising or accelerating at lower speed (less than 90 km/h), it is not noticeable.

I have checked my tyres, and they are all fine, no bumps. The tyres are also new, which have just been aligned and balance 3 months ago.

Any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Thank you.
vibration when u accelerate, but if you release throttle pedal immediately will the vibration stops? if yes, high chance of drive-shaft failure, know someone driving polo sedan just replaced drive-shaft due to this reason. btw, i'm polo sedan owner as well...
kluseng
post Jan 9 2018, 07:04 PM

Casual
473 posts

If it happens only during hard acceleration or climbing slope it's probably engine related, not tyres or engine mounts. The key thing is engine working hard. You may need to go back to SC to do an ECU diagnosis. Try a higher octane petrol in the meantime.

BlaBlaBoy
post Jan 9 2018, 07:41 PM

1,028 posts

QUOTE(CyanT @ Jan 9 2018, 05:33 PM)
In this case then it is not type problem. Could be other problem.
TSCyanT
post Jan 9 2018, 11:09 PM

Regular
1,232 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Jan 9 2018, 06:59 PM)
vibration when u accelerate, but if you release throttle pedal immediately will the vibration stops? if yes, high chance of drive-shaft failure, know someone driving polo sedan just replaced drive-shaft due to this reason. btw, i'm polo sedan owner as well...
Yes. How much does the drive-shaft cost?
kluseng
post Jan 10 2018, 10:10 AM

Casual
473 posts

QUOTE(CyanT @ Jan 9 2018, 11:09 PM)
Yes. How much does the drive-shaft cost?
If the drive shafts are problematic won't they be giving symptoms when you are driving at 110 km/hr at constant speed? Don't jump to conclusions because of one person's account.
alphaz
post Jan 10 2018, 10:58 AM

Casual
406 posts

Seems like engine mount problem, probably rear mount.

This post has been edited by alphaz: Jan 10 2018, 10:58 AM
tskhor94
post Jan 10 2018, 11:02 AM

31 posts

Does it vibrate during high rpm? (above 3k rpm)

This post has been edited by tskhor94: Jan 10 2018, 11:02 AM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:20 PM