Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Renovation completed - JB, Details of my contractors

views

TSEneriW
post Jan 8 2018, 11:24 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
83 posts

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thanked everyone here who gave me advise when I was totally clueless on where to start.

I started planning 6 months before I started my renovations works in mid-October. What was supposed to be a simple work (change front and back door) became something more major when I discovered my bathroom was leaking too. It doesn't help that through my conversations with friends and after contacting some contractors, I felt that some contractors are not keen to take up small jobs and that the pricing is higher compare to KL. This is the peril of living in JB; due to the proximity to Singapore.

I got one contractor to do the main works (wetworks, piping, wiring and painting), one for metal works (gate, stainless steel door & window grilles) and one more for carpentry works.

Basically, for the main contractors, works are ok but there were a delay of about 1 month. He basically worked 2 weeks and stop for another 2 weeks. When I called, his workers came for a day or two before stopping work again. My guess is that he has may projects on hand, given that it is year end and everyone is rushing for Chinese New Year. He however, did not press me for payment (I was the one chasing him for the bills as there were some works that I had added on, before confirming the fees. My bad.. haha). Generally his tiling works are ok (done by a Chinese 'head') and his worker cleaned the place every time he finishes for the day (I was staying inside the house throughout the renovation period). The wiring works a bit slipshod but still acceptable (I had to tell them to rectify some areas here and there). The Indon workers were good at cementing work only, as they never clean up the place (after drilling for example) unless someone told them too. Also, his drilling skills are so bad, some of my tiles were cracked when he was installing the bathroom accessories. Not sure if the tiles I bought are not too good quality though. But overall, I'm satisfied with his work as I pay for what I get. His price is not the highest amongst the 3 quotes I gotten.

For the metal works, the contractor is my friend's hubby, so the price he given me was slightly lower and I'm also satisfied with his work.

As for the carpentry works, I was surprised at his price. My friend engaged his services first and when I saw their quote, I thought it was quite cheap. However, as it was year-end when I called him for a quote, he seems busy and only gave me an informal quotation (picture with price and send to me via whatsapp), which I have no problem at all. He was very fast (although he collects money upfront) and rushed out my stuff for me. Quality wise, I would have to say it again - You get what you paid for. A bit rough, but I'm happy. If you ask me about the wood quality, I would say I don't know, but as far as I know, everyone is using laminate now. Unless you use good quality wood, then I guess it's about the same. I did kitchen cabinet, display cabinet under staircase, shoe cabinet, tv cabinet (I won't call it a console as it's really a cabinet with drawers.. haha), dressing table with full length mirror, bathroom cabinet with mirror and another cabinet under the window in the bedroom... all for around RM11k.

All in all, quite satisfied with work done albeit had to put up with the dust for nearly 3 months!

cdspins
post Jan 8 2018, 11:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

Congratulation on your renovations. Care to share some pictures :-D
bear94
post Jan 18 2018, 11:20 AM

18 posts

Congrats for your renovation. Can go this Website to see the Johor Bahru interior designers and contractors listings if require any further design and renovation.
SheepGeeks
post Jan 18 2018, 11:39 AM

On my way
628 posts

Congrats.. Hope to see some photos here.. I'm rushing mine for this month end also.
bearhome P
post Sep 5 2019, 12:35 PM

Probation
1 posts

can PM me the contractor contact for all 3? Wetwork, metal & cabinet. Thanks!
Muthuraman1984 P
post Jan 19 2020, 05:30 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(EneriW @ Jan 8 2018, 11:24 AM)
Hi,

First of all, I would like to thanked everyone here who gave me advise when I was totally clueless on where to start.

I started planning 6 months before I started my renovations works in mid-October. What was supposed to be a simple work (change front and back door) became something more major when I discovered my bathroom was leaking too. It doesn't help that through my conversations with friends and after contacting some contractors, I felt that some contractors are not keen to take up small jobs and that the pricing is higher compare to KL. This is the peril of living in JB; due to the proximity to Singapore.

I got one contractor to do the main works (wetworks, piping, wiring and painting), one for metal works (gate, stainless steel door & window grilles) and one more for carpentry works.

Basically, for the main contractors, works are ok but there were a delay of about 1 month. He basically worked 2 weeks and stop for another 2 weeks. When I called, his workers came for a day or two before stopping work again. My guess is that he has may projects on hand, given that it is year end and everyone is rushing for Chinese New Year. He however, did not press me for payment (I was the one chasing him for the bills as there were some works that I had added on, before confirming the fees. My bad.. haha). Generally his tiling works are ok (done by a Chinese 'head') and his worker cleaned the place every time he finishes for the day (I was staying inside the house throughout the renovation period). The wiring works a bit slipshod but still acceptable (I had to tell them to rectify some areas here and there). The Indon workers were good at cementing work only, as they never clean up the place (after drilling for example) unless someone told them too. Also, his drilling skills are so bad, some of my tiles were cracked when he was installing the bathroom accessories. Not sure if the tiles I bought are not too good quality though. But overall, I'm satisfied with his work as I pay for what I get. His price is not the highest amongst the 3 quotes I gotten.

For the metal works, the contractor is my friend's hubby, so the price he given me was slightly lower and I'm also satisfied with his work.

As for the carpentry works, I was surprised at his price. My friend engaged his services first and when I saw their quote, I thought it was quite cheap. However, as it was year-end when I called him for a quote, he seems busy and only gave me an informal quotation (picture with price and send to me via whatsapp), which I have no problem at all. He was very fast (although he collects money upfront) and rushed out my stuff for me. Quality wise, I would have to say it again - You get what you paid for. A bit rough, but I'm happy. If you ask me about the wood quality, I would say I don't know, but as far as I know, everyone is using laminate now. Unless you use good quality wood, then I guess it's about the same. I did kitchen cabinet, display cabinet under staircase, shoe cabinet, tv cabinet (I won't call it a console as it's really a cabinet with drawers.. haha), dressing table with full length mirror, bathroom cabinet with mirror and another cabinet under the window in the bedroom... all for around RM11k.

All in all, quite satisfied with work done albeit had to put up with the dust for nearly 3 months!
Hi can PM me all the 3 contractors number....or whatsapp to +65 9182 1236

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0110sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:25 PM