Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DIY changing coolant question

views

TSRigerZ
post Jan 6 2018, 11:11 PM, updated 3y ago

On the way on the way
953 posts

Edited to a new question:

If I want to drain the coolant from the engine block, the shortcut I always see is to remove the thermostat housing.

Besides that I see many articles saying to remove the lower radiator hose

Not wanting to risk any leaks from removing the above items, it should be much safer to let the engine run with the radiator cap removed until the thermostat opens and then drain the coolant via the radiator drain plug right?

Add: Yes Uncle Google says it is

This post has been edited by RigerZ: Nov 6 2021, 08:13 PM
kelvin_87
post Jan 7 2018, 02:54 AM

Casual
312 posts

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Jan 6 2018, 11:11 PM)
I've been told that old cars (I have a 2001 Wira with 205,000KM) should not use radiator coolant as the chemicals will corrode the old seal rings and cause leaks.

Doesn't sound right but I thought I should get clarification.
Radiator coolant come with mixture of chemical to prevent corrode...
Old and new car should continue use radiator coolant no matter what...
alphaz
post Jan 7 2018, 09:57 AM

Casual
406 posts

There's no reason not to use radiator coolant. But must use the correct coolant type and ratio. In hot climate like ours, the recommended ratio is 30% coolant 70% water.
therain01
post Jan 7 2018, 07:51 PM

Getting Started
220 posts

I've been told that old cars (I have a 2001 Wira with 205,000KM) should not use radiator coolant as the chemicals will corrode the old seal rings and cause leaks.

No. It's not the chemicals will cause corrosion unless stays too long in the radiator. People are suggesting not using radiator coolant on very old car is because it will wash away the corrosion in the system which helps preventing leak.
netmatrix
post Jan 7 2018, 08:39 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

You should use coolant no matter what year. I don't think any car made after 1990 would not use coolant at all. While water alone is the best heat carrier, it is useless when it boils. Thats where coolant is useful to raise boiling temperature.
acbc
post Jan 7 2018, 08:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Coolant will prevent leakages and also won't boil at 100C.
TSRigerZ
post Jan 7 2018, 09:07 PM

On the way on the way
953 posts

QUOTE(alphaz @ Jan 7 2018, 09:57 AM)
There's no reason not to use radiator coolant. But must use the correct coolant type and ratio. In hot climate like ours, the recommended ratio is 30% coolant 70% water.
I have a bottle of this but it says do not dilute? unsure.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
alphaz
post Jan 8 2018, 10:04 AM

Casual
406 posts

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Jan 7 2018, 09:07 PM)
I have a bottle of this but it says do not dilute?  unsure.gif
It seems this product is either for topping up old coolant or to add coolant if you only use tap water, that's why it said don't dilute because you're going to dilute it anyway when you add it to your old coolant.
unitron
post Jan 8 2018, 10:58 AM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

Please fix all leaks and always use radiator coolant.

The reason for all the corrosion in the first place is because never use radiator coolant.
After that blame the coolant causing corrosion when servicing and fill with coolant which cleans up some of the rust.
speedy3210
post Jan 8 2018, 11:29 AM

Casual
451 posts

clear sign you should change your mechanic to someone better.

i have been using coolant within recommended mixing ratio for the past 18years and counting, on my wira 1.6 which is infamous for TB problem. I get NONE of that problem and still on my factory TB. I made it a point to change my coolant every 40k km or max 2yrs. Been using ori toyota LLC aka red coolant that need to be diluted upon usage since 2001. now covered 390k km.
boland89
post Jan 8 2018, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Jan 8 2018, 11:29 AM)

i have been using coolant within recommended mixing ratio for the past 18years and counting, on my wira 1.6 which is infamous for TB problem. I get NONE of that problem and still on my factory TB. I made it a point to change my coolant every 40k km or max 2yrs. Been using ori toyota LLC aka red coolant that need to be diluted upon usage since 2001. now covered 390k km.

fully coolant or mix with tap water. my mechanic also not recomend to use coolant. donno why. my car is iswara 97'
unitron
post Jan 8 2018, 03:03 PM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Jan 8 2018, 11:29 AM)

Haha... i'm using Honda but coolant is also Toyota LLC.

I found that i don't need to follow the mixing ratio to get the most important benefit, i.e rust protection (we don't have winter, so the anti freeze to me not important). I use 1 or 2 bottles and the rest mix with tap water.

QUOTE(boland89 @ Jan 8 2018, 02:02 PM)
fully coolant or mix with tap water. my mechanic also not recomend to use coolant. donno why. my car is iswara 97'
Mine is mix with tap water as per above. Most mechanic don't go for automotive engineering courses, they just base on experience and what
their sifu last time teach them even thought it might be wrong.

Maybe you should ask for an explanation from the mechanic why manufacturer uses coolant, and every other car uses coolant, but Iswara no need.
See if his explanation is logical, base on experience or based on stories he heard.
boland89
post Jan 8 2018, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(unitron @ Jan 8 2018, 03:03 PM)
Haha...  i'm using Honda but coolant is also Toyota LLC.

I found that i don't need to follow the mixing ratio to get the most important benefit, i.e rust protection (we don't have winter, so the anti freeze to me not important). I use 1 or 2 bottles and the rest mix with tap water.
Mine is mix with tap water as per above. Most mechanic don't go for automotive engineering courses, they just base on experience and what

Maybe you should ask for an explanation from the mechanic why manufacturer uses coolant, and every other car uses coolant, but Iswara no need.
See if his explanation is logical, base on experience or based on stories he heard.
but now got 'karat' alot woo. if no use coolant ok ka? or need to flush frequently
alphaz
post Jan 8 2018, 05:43 PM

Casual
406 posts

If got a lot of rust, better send to radiator shop for cleaning first.
TSRigerZ
post Jan 8 2018, 05:47 PM

On the way on the way
953 posts

The bottle of coolant I have is about 950ml, so for Wira I guess about half the bottle will be enough?

QUOTE(boland89 @ Jan 8 2018, 04:35 PM)
but now got 'karat' alot woo. if no use coolant ok ka? or need to flush frequently
Since I inherited the car it has already been using tap water only. My car's interval between *servicing the radiator was about 2 years but by then a lot of rust had already collected inside the expansion tank and experienced overheating on hot days.

This post has been edited by RigerZ: Jan 8 2018, 05:57 PM
speedy3210
post Jan 8 2018, 06:54 PM

Casual
451 posts

Haha...  i'm using Honda but coolant is also Toyota LLC.

I just use 70:30 (roughly) primarily due to cost concern tongue.gif
unitron
post Jan 8 2018, 09:31 PM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

QUOTE(boland89 @ Jan 8 2018, 04:35 PM)
If i were u, I flush until no more rust / teh O color come out, and then use coolant mix

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Jan 8 2018, 05:47 PM)
The bottle of coolant I have is about 950ml, so for Wira I guess about half the bottle will be enough?
Since I inherited the car it has already been using tap water only. My car's interval between *servicing the radiator was about 2 years but by then a lot of rust had already collected inside the expansion tank and experienced overheating on hot days.
Why half.. pour the entire bottle lah.. but flush first make sure all the rust come out ler.

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Jan 8 2018, 06:54 PM)
I just use 70:30 (roughly) primarily due to cost concern  tongue.gif
Same here.... i dunno the ratio for mine, but as i mentioned i use 1 - 2 bottles of Toyota LLC, also due to cost concern.
If follow Honda guideline, need to fill entire cooling system with the Honda pre-mix coolant, which dunno take how many bottles, so very expensive.
TSRigerZ
post Feb 25 2018, 11:21 AM

On the way on the way
953 posts

Hi everyone, I serviced my radiator end of last year but I still find rust deposits forming in the expansion tank. However, when I open the radiator drain plug the water coming out is clean.

Would adding coolant stop this rust forming or is there a further underlying cause to fix first (change radiator maybe)?
netmatrix
post Feb 25 2018, 11:27 AM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Feb 25 2018, 11:21 AM)
Hi everyone, I serviced my radiator end of last year but I still find rust deposits forming in the expansion tank. However, when I open the radiator drain plug the water coming out is clean.

Would adding coolant stop this rust forming or is there a further underlying cause to fix first (change radiator maybe)?
You should use coolant from the beginning after you serviced the radiator. It has rust inhibitors.
TSRigerZ
post Feb 25 2018, 11:35 AM

On the way on the way
953 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Feb 25 2018, 11:27 AM)
You should use coolant from the beginning after you serviced the radiator. It has rust inhibitors.
unsure.gif would it be too late to use now?

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0240sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:28 PM