Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DRAM-less or DRAM SSD?, For laptop

views

TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 09:28 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
102 posts

I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop HDD to SSD.

My laptop is mainly for work not gaming. I target 120GB since I don't store much data.

I heard there is this DRAM-less SSD on the market but some say DRAM SSD is much better.

I think most Sandisk SSD are DRAM-less?

What are your thoughts?
kedai2020
post Jan 4 2018, 09:35 AM

11 posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXsrLCgdM
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 09:37 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(kedai2020 @ Jan 4 2018, 09:35 AM)
Yes I saw this video already. In fact, its this video that made me stop to think about buying SSD.

So want to hear anyone experience with DRAM-less SSD compared to DRAM one.
David_78
post Jan 4 2018, 09:45 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

Heavy workload like video editing, vm must be using dram, for words excel dram less is fine. Dram less in general 35% slower when using heavy workload when continues writting to sdd. The extra dram help to cache the data write in batch that is much faster when alot of write at once time
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 09:50 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(David_78 @ Jan 4 2018, 09:45 AM)
Heavy workload like video editing, vm must be using dram, for words excel dram less is fine. Dram less in general 35% slower when using heavy workload when continues writting to sdd. The extra dram help to cache the data write in batch that is much faster when alot of write at once time
I don't do video editing.

Most work will involve using programs like hyperterminal, tftp64, putty to configure devices, web browsing, ms office.

My laptop runs on a Celeron.
Satori 14118a
post Jan 4 2018, 09:54 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(TheBladeRunner @ Jan 4 2018, 09:50 AM)
I don't do video editing.

Most work will involve using programs like hyperterminal, tftp64, putty  to configure devices, web browsing, ms office.

My laptop runs on a Celeron.
And why will this require SSD for that matter?
khk1987
post Jan 4 2018, 09:56 AM

Getting Started
257 posts

If you dont wanna waste time booting up your PC + loading background services (esp. Windows). SSD is a good to go as long as it is not used for heavy read/write as it has limited life span.

Next thing to do after installing SSD is to ensure your laptop is SSD optimized (for increased life span) to ensure less write/read done by Windows.
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 10:00 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(Satori 14118a @ Jan 4 2018, 09:54 AM)
And why will this require SSD for that matter?
Because I believe my current HDD likely to die, laptop is 4+ years already.

I want fast reboot, and vibration proof since I'm constantly travel around with my laptop.
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(khk1987 @ Jan 4 2018, 09:56 AM)
If you dont wanna waste time booting up your PC + loading background services (esp. Windows). SSD is a good to go as long as it is not used for heavy read/write as it has limited life span.

Next thing to do after installing SSD is to ensure your laptop is SSD optimized (for increased life span) to ensure less write/read done by Windows.
Yes, that lifespan is what made me think about SSD DRAM.

Saw cheap SSD from Sandisk but I assume all of it are DRAM-less.

Satori 14118a
post Jan 4 2018, 10:04 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(TheBladeRunner @ Jan 4 2018, 10:00 AM)
Because I believe my current HDD likely to die, laptop is 4+ years already.

I want fast reboot, and vibration proof since I'm constantly travel around with my laptop.
Then just get a standard SSD and be done with it. 120GB is feasible in your case since I think your work is mostly executed server-side.

I've been running 128GB for 2 years now without any issues on my work lappy.
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

QUOTE(Satori 14118a @ Jan 4 2018, 10:04 AM)
Then just get a standard SSD and be done with it. 120GB is feasible in your case since I think your work is mostly executed server-side.

I've been running 128GB for 2 years now without any issues on my work lappy.
What's your SSD brand?
dtdw
post Jan 4 2018, 10:08 AM

Casual
425 posts

never heard of dram less ssd before. but what i do know is that unless youre a tech geek, its all just a bunch of gimmick mumble jumble.

just get any current gen ssd within your budget that can fit in your laptop and be done with it.

i can tell you this much, sure, ssd can speed up some things like boot, but with a terrible low last gen system youre actually still suffering from speed issues.

ive upgraded office system with ssd, but overall experience is still meh.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Jan 4 2018, 10:10 AM
David_78
post Jan 4 2018, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

Then dramless or not is doesn't matter, get cheapest and branded like micron, toshiba... Wd , sandisk... Ssd longer lifespan then hdd for sure
Satori 14118a
post Jan 4 2018, 10:37 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(TheBladeRunner @ Jan 4 2018, 10:07 AM)
What's your SSD brand?
Kingston 2.5 inch.
I do suggest m.2 if you have the slot.
TSTheBladeRunner
post Jan 4 2018, 10:55 AM

Getting Started
102 posts

Alright I think I got the answer I need. Thanks all.
Left4Dead2
post Jan 4 2018, 11:24 AM

Regular
1,085 posts

I think not much different, and you are not corporate user
Hevlaska
post Jan 4 2018, 11:45 AM

Casual
366 posts

i suggest that you reconsider, i think many of the forumer here doesn't understand DRAM-LESS SSD, as they are not widely available in the market yet, and has not been adopted as a norm.

I would suggest going with DRAM cache anytime, anywhere. Data is something that is invaluable. For an SSD to breakdown at a wrong timing, can cost you much much more trouble that its worth. Especially drive you intend to use for OS. It will not last, and as most tech review did mention, warranty from manufacturer is often much shorter than their standard SSD. This fact alone, stands for reason.

If you're hardpressed for budget and really need a bigger capasity, you will be better off with SSHD. But i will strongly suggest, buy the best lowest capasity SSD you can afford. If you're using a laptop, replace your optical drive with a HDD caddy and install another HDD for storage.

Also, do not listen to SSD will last longer than HDD, this, also again is not true. In most cases, yes they may, but it is all subjective to each individual uses. Nobody in the world can guarantee the endurance of the drives you are using. But certainly, i can guarantee you a DRAMless disk will be shortlived.

This post has been edited by Hevlaska: Jan 4 2018, 11:46 AM
dtdw
post Jan 4 2018, 06:16 PM

Casual
425 posts

QUOTE(Hevlaska @ Jan 4 2018, 11:45 AM)
i suggest that you reconsider, i think many of the forumer here doesn't understand DRAM-LESS SSD, as they are not widely available in the market yet, and has not been adopted as a norm.

i just recently found out about this and apparently some brands adopted to it silently and consumers are suddenly trying to find out if their latest bought ssd is what so called dram-less.

im not THAT into hardware upgrades anymore, but do know the basics of stuffs, and this comes as a shock to me. tongue.gif

i dont know if those ppl who built rigs out of western digital green ssd realize it's a dram-less or not. i think once they find out they will be furious.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Jan 4 2018, 06:20 PM
Hevlaska
post Jan 4 2018, 06:23 PM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(dtdw @ Jan 4 2018, 06:16 PM)
i just recently found out about this and apparently some brands adopted to it silently and consumers are suddenly trying to find out if their latest bought ssd is what so called dram-less.

im not THAT into hardware upgrades anymore, but do know the basics of stuffs, and this comes as a shock to me.  tongue.gif
Yeah, but the SSDs are priced cheaper than usual, so its pretty noticable. Have to be careful these days, it isnt a big news or anything like that, manufacturer just implemented them and printed the SSD "DRAM-less" without much hoo-hah. They are aware that SSD's price/GB is still pretty high and hinders many purchases especially on budget constrained buyers, but still highly sought after. Therefore, the DRAM-less.
dtdw
post Jan 4 2018, 06:27 PM

Casual
425 posts

QUOTE(Hevlaska @ Jan 4 2018, 06:23 PM)
Yeah, but the SSDs are priced cheaper than usual, so its pretty noticable. Have to be careful these days, it isnt a big news or anything like that, manufacturer just implemented them and printed the SSD "DRAM-less" without much hoo-hah. They are aware that SSD's price/GB is still pretty high and hinders many purchases especially on budget constrained buyers, but still highly sought after. Therefore, the DRAM-less.
according to reviews though, it seems its a very silent move and they didnt expect consumers to notice it anyway since ssd = faster than hdd. but thats a sly terrible move.

nothing is printed that says dram-less.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:37 PM