Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

Please post GE14 related topics in the following new section ► https://forum.lowyat.net/MalaysiaVotes2018

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Do Recess Downlights require Earth Wire?

advocado
post Jan 3 2018, 08:02 PM, updated 4 months ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

Normal Philip Recess Downlights, those sitting inside the plaster ceiling hole. when contractors do looping wires from an existing wire point with Earth, do they pull Live & neutral only or do they pull Live/Neutral/Earth?

Because recess downlights only accept Live/Neutral, the casing is plastic except the clips are metal, if pull earth wire how to earth the downlight?

And if just pull Live & neutral, what to do with the existing Earth? just tape it off?

I read western forum it's confusion they say have to pull but not connect to downlight but connect all the earth together and insulate them... don't understand what they are saying.

also same question goes to installing LED inside kitchen cabinet:

1.Round LED (not sure casing is metal or plastic)

2.T5 LED.

This post has been edited by advocado: Jan 3 2018, 08:03 PM
advocado
post Jan 3 2018, 08:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!

another question is is using the block connector good idea or bad idea for looping? i hear some blocks plastic are poorly made though LED uses low power.

if not use block connector, what is better option without need for special tool?
advocado
post Jan 4 2018, 09:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!

bump.
SheepGeeks
post Jan 4 2018, 09:44 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

For safety, just connect your earth to the light metal casing. Normally, I will just tape it.

There are metal connectors in the market which require special tool to clamp it, but small cables plastic block is good enough..
Aurora
post Jan 4 2018, 09:56 AM

On my way

If the case is plastic, no need to ground. You can leave out the metal clip as it is not in direct contact with board inside. Like most TV nowadays supplied by 2-pin plug.

Block connector is sufficient for downlight. Very low current.
Zot
post Jan 4 2018, 10:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Most lighting wiring has no E wiring. The LED light with external driver does not have earth connection either. Normally they are double insulated, thus require no grounding even though some have metal fixture.

The downlight is not something you reach on daily basis anyway. Whenever you work on them, you will need to have power switch off. So, it is not necessary and the house wiring is double insulated in Malaysia.
advocado
post Jan 4 2018, 10:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 4 2018, 10:01 AM)
Most lighting wiring has no E wiring. The LED light with external driver does not have earth connection either. Normally they are double insulated, thus require no grounding even though some have metal fixture.

The downlight is not something you reach on daily basis anyway. Whenever you work on them, you will need to have power switch off. So, it is not necessary and the house wiring is double insulated in Malaysia.
so when i add looping for downlight, i just need to extend the L+N and just tap off the existing Ground at the outlet?
advocado
post Jan 4 2018, 10:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Aurora @ Jan 4 2018, 09:56 AM)
If the case is plastic, no need to ground. You can leave out the metal clip as it is not in direct contact with board inside. Like most TV nowadays supplied by 2-pin plug.

Block connector is sufficient for downlight. Very low current.
what about ceiling mounted T8, cabinet mounted T5 & round LED?

does the T8 & T5 accept earth or we need to mount any metal casing to the earth?

rule of thumb if casing got metal pull earth and connect?
Zot
post Jan 4 2018, 10:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 10:12 AM)
so when i add looping for downlight, i just need to extend the L+N and just tap off the existing Ground at the outlet?
What you meant by tap off?

My bad. The E grounding wire is there on the ceiling blush.gif . However, if you do not connect the Earth wire to downlight it does not matter. The L and N wire are double insulated and most LED light with no ground connection are also double insulated. They are safe to be connected without Earth.

Normally, you will connect the ground wire when using chandelier light fixture smile.gif Light your normal bulb with screw socket, there is no place to connect Earth either.
Zot
post Jan 4 2018, 10:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 10:19 AM)
what about ceiling mounted T8, cabinet mounted T5 & round LED?

does the T8 & T5 accept earth or we need to mount any metal casing to the earth?

rule of thumb if casing got metal pull earth and connect?
Electrician will just connect the Earth wire to the metal part of light fixture normally but even if you do not connect, it is also safe because no one will touch the fixture on the ceiling either. biggrin.gif

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0669sec    4.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2018 - 11:33 PM