Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mesh WiFi [Linksys Velop, Asus Lyra, TpLink Deco], Mesh WiFi knowledge

views

TSZJL
post Jan 2 2018, 07:43 PM, updated 6y ago

28 posts

Anyone with knowledge on consumer grade mesh wifi setup particularly using/had used before Linksys Velop or Asus Lyra or TpLink Deco? Having no knowledge how to put it to work with TM Unifi provided DIR-850L router. If possible DIR-850L must not be removed from the entire setup as it is needed for VLAN tagging. Also Range Extender of any sorts doesn't suit my property floor plan.
joellim
post Oct 18 2018, 08:58 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

hi

i'm used both Tenda Nova MW6 and Asus Lyra mesh wifi system in my house. Also using the Dlink DIR850L router provided by TM. Just connect the wifi mesh system to one of the LAN port of the DIR850L. it works fine but you need to disable to Wifi from the 850L.

I'm using the Asus lyra now for my 3-storey house and it can give good wifi speed throughout the house. In the same room as the main Lyra, I can get about 300mbps speed from my Unifi 500. connected to the second or third lyra, I can get 30-100mbps which is enough to stream any youtube movie or HD movie without lag. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more info.
TSZJL
post Oct 19 2018, 01:03 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(joellim @ Oct 18 2018, 08:58 PM)
hi

i'm used both Tenda Nova MW6 and Asus Lyra mesh wifi system in my house. Also using the Dlink DIR850L router provided by TM. Just connect the wifi mesh system to one of the LAN port of the DIR850L. it works fine but you need to disable to Wifi from the 850L.

I'm using the Asus lyra now for my 3-storey house and it can give good wifi speed throughout the house. In the same room as the main Lyra, I can get about 300mbps speed from my Unifi 500. connected to the second or third lyra, I can get 30-100mbps which is enough to stream any youtube movie or HD movie without lag. Hope this helps.

thanks for replying... after digging around my setup is almost the same like yours. plugging into dir850 of any of the pack of 3 router. i using deco m5 btw and works completely through apps
joshhd
post Nov 19 2018, 06:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(joellim @ Oct 18 2018, 08:58 PM)
hi

Hi. I was thinking of getting a mesh WiFi, but I'm kinda hesitating whether to choose either AC2200 ones or AC1200 ones will do. I want to make sure the entire home (terrace house, corner lot) including outside are able to get coverage and fast speeds. Assuming I have 1Gbps at home la...

1) If I buy AC2200 mesh WiFi like Asus Lyra, TP-Link Deco M9, etc. compared to AC1200 ones like TP-Link M5, will the transmission speed affected? Roughly what's the average speed I'll get?
2) Does it means if I use more nodes, means it will affect transmission speed?
TSZJL
post Nov 19 2018, 09:23 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 19 2018, 06:40 PM)
Hi. I was thinking of getting a mesh WiFi, but I'm kinda hesitating whether to choose either AC2200 ones or AC1200 ones will do. I want to make sure the entire home (terrace house, corner lot) including outside are able to get coverage and fast speeds. Assuming I have 1Gbps at home la...

1) If I buy AC2200 mesh WiFi like Asus Lyra, TP-Link Deco M9, etc. compared to AC1200 ones like TP-Link M5, will the transmission speed affected? Roughly what's the average speed I'll get?
2) Does it means if I use more nodes, means it will affect transmission speed?
Theoretically mesh doesn't degrade as number of nodes increase and it shouldn't. M5 works as intended in my 3-storey 5500 sqft home. Well of course there will be difference to M9 or those with tri-band where's theres a 5Ghz dedicated channel just to exchange data. As mine, 2 Smart TV, 5 smartphones, 1 CCTV console, 4 laptops, 1 printer all able to works flawlessly.
enduser
post Nov 19 2018, 09:27 PM

Regular
1,185 posts

can refer here

Asus Lyra Unifi configuration guide

https://www.blacktubi.com/guide/asus-lyra-unifi-guide/
joshhd
post Nov 21 2018, 12:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(ZJL @ Nov 19 2018, 09:23 PM)
Theoretically mesh doesn't degrade as number of nodes increase and it shouldn't. M5 works as intended in my 3-storey 5500 sqft home. Well of course there will be difference to M9 or those with tri-band where's theres a 5Ghz dedicated channel just to exchange data. As mine, 2 Smart TV, 5 smartphones, 1 CCTV console, 4 laptops, 1 printer all able to works flawlessly.
Oh if that's the case, seems like having tri-band is much better option then?
Any big differences choosing between Asus Lyra, TP-Link Deco or D-Link Covr? Although it seems that Asus Lyra is better than others in terms of reliability, speed and coverage...?
joshhd
post Nov 22 2018, 01:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

I have a TP-Link AC1200 router, and the 5GHz Wifi network uses 80MHz bandwidth. I'm using TIME Fibre 500Mbps, and I am able to achieve that 500Mbps download and upload speeds by using LAN cable.

However I can only get maximum around 300Mbps download/upload by using 5GHz WiFi.

Does it means, even if I use AC1200 mesh WiFi, like TP-Link Deco M5, or Asus or D-Link Covr C1203 will also be the same thing?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:27 AM