views

TSdebiankl
post Jan 2 2018, 09:53 AM, updated 7y ago

On my way
Group Icon
Elite
577 posts

What inspires me to learn Data Science?

Based on the movie Moneyball (actor Brad Pitt, released 2011) based on an adaptation story was written by Michael Lewis 2004 New York Times bestseller, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game book. And several following movies based their stories on Data science and Machine learning. The Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game available online reading and download hosted by ELA-Literacy-Institue (https://ela-literacy-institute.wikispaces.com) and click here to read 208 pages.

Is Data Science your next career path?
I'm have learned Python language but getting a job in Python a programmer seem to scare for web development (client and server), mobile apps and game development (Desktop, Mobile) mainly because the Python language was not the preferred choice for new project development. As industry realize the potential of deploying data science can create a sustained business and better understand of customers purchase behavior through analysis and prediction from the data collection. There are more data being collected in every minute, someone should ask the about size of data traffic collect per day by LowYat website.

Asian Data Science News and General News

An industry news of using data science in their business, just give you an idea of trends and achievement made using data science.

1. Asian Data Science News

Recrutiment of Data Science

Recruitment companies are looking into employers demands the following roles to fill in the organization structure

Roles and Jobs in Data Science

1. Predictive analytics
2. Marketing research
3. Consumer insights
4. Credit/risk analytics
5. Fraud analytics
6. Web analytics
7. Digital marketing/analytics

Recrutment News
1. 2018 Predictions for the Analytics & Data Science Hiring Market (28min video, Speaker take 19min then QA ). Speaker talk about China is Wild West of analytics and Chinese firm acquire US talent.

Online Courses on Data Science and Python [FREE/Paid]

Statistics Course for Data Science

Statistics for Beginners

1. KhanAcademy - Statistics and Probability (Beginner) for free and for registered users (signup for free)

KhanAcademy offers Math courses for basic statices (Mean, Meridian, ...)

Edx.com

Microsoft and Edx (eLearning platform in collaboration with the course offered by University and partner) have announced a few self-paced study courses on Data Science with Python and R language. You can enroll these FREE or pay US$99.00 to get a the Edx verified certificate. The new sign up or register a new account do not request for credit cards unless you want to pay US$99. You get FULL course contents for FREE.

Microsoft course on Data Science

1. Introduction to Python for Data Science (similar to Introduction to Python at DataCamp and more topics covered and not certificated of accomplishment)
2. Programming with Python for Data Science

Microsoft and Edx Data Science courses

DataCamp.com

DataCamp has made it so easy for beginners learning the Python programming and basic of Data Science with Python package Numpy. Just create a new sign FREE account without providing credit cards details, start learning at your own pace and you get a certificate of accomplishment when complete the full module. DataCamp does offer courses of programming language for Data Science like Python and R language and paid subscription plan for advanced topics of Data science.

Learn Python for Data Science

Python Development Environment for Data Science

Anaconda software distribution has included the popular data science packages and conda a package management software tool for your need to perform data science task or projects. Some may say it was overloaded software for data science only, yes Anaconda software distribution support project for machine learning.

I would start with the Jupyter notebook (formerly known as IPython notebook). It has used code blocks, run from your web browser, export to pdf and nbviewer (other can access).

Anaconda software install tutorial video and basic usage of Jupyter Notebook
Anaconda Install and Jupyter Notebook

This post has been edited by debiankl: Jan 19 2018, 09:45 AM
TSdebiankl
post Jan 3 2018, 10:48 AM

On my way
Group Icon
Elite
577 posts

QUOTE(webbytrout @ Jan 3 2018, 10:10 AM)
python just another programming language .. important are linear algebra + calculus for ML
I agree that you do need to know some knowledge of statistics, and the above mention, that will be the next level (intermediate) of learning after completed the beginner level. Once I have completed my intermediate level and share with you. Not sure this the right forum for discussion about learning path of Data Science just like web development and game development. It should be the new subject for special interest topic.

The strength of Python language in data science is worth mentions are the packages and library for support the need for data science such NumPy, Panda, SciPy, Matplotlib..etc that has help programmers not to reinvent the wheels instead just call the libraries when you need it.
TSdebiankl
post Jan 3 2018, 11:01 AM

On my way
Group Icon
Elite
577 posts

QUOTE(dewill @ Jan 2 2018, 09:55 AM)
only limited function being shared
"limited functions" mention I assumed Datacamp gave limited access to the full course for the FREE account. Indeed, they give you something to wet your feet and they gauge your interest in data science or is it your cup of tea as per say.

However, I did find another solution for you check this out from Microsoft and Edx.com for data science courses with Python updated on my posting. You get full course access for FREE but without a certificate of accomplishment. You find a similar course by Introduction to Python for Data Science by DataCamp hosted in Edx and enjoy the full course without "limited function".

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:00 AM