6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY Home Renovation, Solo DIY Diary [COMPLETED]

SheepGeeks
post Jan 1 2018, 10:49 PM, updated 3w ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

So just got my key on friday, right before New Year. Started my work on Sunday, there it goes..

19/1/2018
- Working on living room, next momento. First layer sky blue done..

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

22/1/2018
- Finish up living room momento
- Completed Staging for altar

23/1/2018
- Completed ceiling
- Installed lights for master rooms.

3/9/2018

- Living room covered with plaster wall

- Platform for study area. Platform sticked with vinyl (floordepot)

I think that's all for my DIY, took me more than half year to repair and built. I didn't post smaller item as I don't think it's necessary here. There is one last plan to build a mini fish pond with water fall at my car porch but probably I would like to take a rest before continuing it.

This post has been edited by SheepGeeks: Sep 3 2018, 01:56 PM
Zoopdiidoo
post Jan 3 2018, 02:45 PM

Getting Started

Why the part you painted the skirting is gone?
kabyss87
post Jan 3 2018, 03:39 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(SheepGeeks @ Jan 1 2018, 10:49 PM)
So just got my key on friday, right before New Year. Started my work on Sunday, there it goes..

31/12/2017:
- Painted master room with base colour (white) for 2 layers
- Dismantled ceiling fan and replaced with LED light

user posted image

user posted image
Nice to see someone out there who does have the DIY spirit! thumbup.gif

Btw, how much momento paint have you use for that patch in your picture?

loritanah
post Jan 3 2018, 04:29 PM

Getting Started

ensure lots of tapes boss..tapes haha
lowlowc
post Jan 3 2018, 05:04 PM

On my way

I am also in the process of repainting my house. I think the prepping jobs and washing the tools are actually more tedious and takes longer than painting itself.

Do you paint the ceilings? Any tips to paint the ceiling better?
exkay
post Jan 3 2018, 05:07 PM

Hired Gunman

My suggestion, get a professional to do paint job. world of difference.

Zot
post Jan 3 2018, 05:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(lowlowc @ Jan 3 2018, 05:04 PM)
I am also in the process of repainting my house. I think the prepping jobs and washing the tools are actually more tedious and takes longer than painting itself.

It is water based paint. You don't need to wash it everyday you use it. Since you are going to use it daily, just wrap the roller in plastic bag to prevent it from drying. Tie with rubber band of anything. This way is less tedious smile.gif
Zot
post Jan 3 2018, 05:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!

What about the ceiling? Just use multi-fold ladder and make a platform. If not high enough, then no choice but move ladder bit by bit laugh.gif Otherwise use roller at the end of pole. It is tiring.

The fastest one is to use spray paint gun wink.gif
empatTan
post Jan 3 2018, 05:15 PM

Regular

Ganbatei!
SheepGeeks
post Jan 3 2018, 05:21 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Zoopdiidoo @ Jan 3 2018, 02:45 PM)
Why the part you painted the skirting is gone?
Hi, previous owner removed it for their bed frame.

QUOTE(kabyss87 @ Jan 3 2018, 03:39 PM)
Nice to see someone out there who does have the DIY spirit!  thumbup.gif

Btw, how much momento paint have you use for that patch in your picture?
Thanks tongue.gif

This area required 1 sets of 1 liter primer & 1 liter luxury series blue and it's a very close call. The last swipes require me to squeeze all the remaining paint on my brush.

FYI, this area is approx. 2.2m X 2.8m.

advocado
post Jan 3 2018, 05:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(exkay @ Jan 3 2018, 05:07 PM)
professional you mean the banggla all in 1 worker?

if hire real pro, labor alone cost rm3k for standard apartment. not including paint.
SheepGeeks
post Jan 3 2018, 05:24 PM

Casual

QUOTE(loritanah @ Jan 3 2018, 04:29 PM)
ensure lots of tapes boss..tapes haha
Yeap, all 4 borders have taped. So don't worry..

Hi, I have no idea as well. Roller is not working on my old ceiling. So I painted my ceiling using 4" brush but so far only managed to paint 4 panels of 4' X 4' in 4 hours time.

The struggle is real man...
advocado
post Jan 3 2018, 05:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 3 2018, 05:11 PM)
What about the ceiling? Just use multi-fold ladder and make a platform. If not high enough, then no choice but move ladder bit by bit  laugh.gif  Otherwise use roller at the end of pole. It is tiring.

The fastest one is to use spray paint gun  wink.gif
spray paint gun need alot of masking and alot of wastage on the paint. and needs well ventilated area. and you need to be close to the ceiling can't just stand on floor use roller.
advocado
post Jan 3 2018, 05:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(SheepGeeks @ Jan 3 2018, 05:21 PM)
Hi, previous owner removed it for their bed frame.
Thanks  tongue.gif

This area required 1 sets of 1 liter primer & 1 liter luxury series blue and it's a very close call. The last swipes require me to squeeze all the remaining paint on my brush.

FYI, this area is approx. 2.2m X 2.8m.
how much is the set of paint for that wall? any tips how to get the pattern done nicely? how long you waited before doing the pattern?

also did you buy their special brush & roller?

This post has been edited by advocado: Jan 3 2018, 05:27 PM
SheepGeeks
post Jan 3 2018, 05:26 PM

Casual

QUOTE(exkay @ Jan 3 2018, 05:07 PM)
Sir, when your bank account left Rm5k but you have to get the whole house done. How do you get professional?

I dismantle the ceiling fans, and replaced all the lights and switches myself. So far, I still have 3k++ budget.
lowlowc
post Jan 3 2018, 05:27 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 3 2018, 05:08 PM)
It is water based paint. You don't need to wash it everyday you use it. Since you are going to use it daily, just wrap the roller in plastic bag to prevent it from drying. Tie with rubber band of anything. This way is less tedious  smile.gif
Thanks for the tips about plastic bag. I did put the roller in an empty bucket, then cover the bucket with a damp cloth. The roller is still damp when I use it the next day, but somehow it didn't roll as good as previous day. I will try your plastic bag idea this weekend again. Still left living room and my master room to paint.

exkay, I employed, or rather, my contractor got me a so-called professional painter 5 years ago to paint my new house. The result was bad, but painter was already long gone before we can catch him. My contractor was only like, "ok la.. the painting ok lah, no need to call him back." There's still more than 50% of paint we bought for him, hidden in my store room. The guy didn't even use the primer we bought for him! He got plenty of paints on our floor that I have to scrap them up one by one.

Somemore, now I have furnishings in the house, no way I will let a painter paint. Painting the house myself is tedious, but satisfying when I look at the result. Plus, at a time like this when CNY is approaching, all the good painter will be taking big jobs already, and left the mediocre painters available.

This post has been edited by lowlowc: Jan 3 2018, 05:28 PM
AmeiN
post Jan 3 2018, 05:29 PM

★★★★★★★

Need more drillzpictures biggrin.gif
SheepGeeks
post Jan 3 2018, 05:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 3 2018, 05:26 PM)
how much is the set of paint for that wall? any tips how to get the pattern done nicely? how long you waited before doing the pattern?

also did you buy their special brush & roller?
I guess, it'll depend on the existing wall colour. Mine was light yellow, so I applied 1 layer of perfect white. After few hour, I apply patching layer to cover off all the remaining patches.

The next day, I apply 2 layer of primer (each layer must be dried before proceed another one) then followed by momento. Probably 1 day++ to get it done for 1 wall but it's really tiring.

They'll provide you the special hand brush for the effects. You should prepare 1 roller for the primer application.

This post has been edited by SheepGeeks: Jan 3 2018, 05:33 PM
Zot
post Jan 3 2018, 05:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(lowlowc @ Jan 3 2018, 05:27 PM)
Thanks for the tips about plastic bag. I did put the roller in an empty bucket, then cover the bucket with a damp cloth. The roller is still damp when I use it the next day, but somehow it didn't roll as good as previous day. I will try your plastic bag idea this weekend again. Still left living room and my master room to paint.

exkay, I employed, or rather, my contractor got me a so-called professional painter 5 years ago to paint my new house. The result was bad, but painter was already long gone before we can catch him. My contractor was only like, "ok la.. the painting ok lah, no need to call him back." There's still more than 50% of paint we bought for him, hidden in my store room. The guy didn't even use the primer we bought for him! He got plenty of paints on our floor that I have to scrap them up one by one.

Somemore, now I have furnishings in the house, no way I will let a painter paint. Painting the house myself is tedious, but satisfying when I look at the result. Plus, at a time like this when CNY is approaching, all the good painter will be taking big jobs already, and left the mediocre painters available.
Yes, I did my painting too but not all interior. Just did during weekend for many weeks laugh.gif

The house was already painted when you bought it right? There's no need to put primer on painted wall. Just straight paint with color of your choice. Obviously need to layer of paint or it will look patchy.
lowlowc
post Jan 3 2018, 05:34 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 3 2018, 05:11 PM)
What about the ceiling? Just use multi-fold ladder and make a platform. If not high enough, then no choice but move ladder bit by bit  laugh.gif  Otherwise use roller at the end of pole. It is tiring.

The fastest one is to use spray paint gun  wink.gif
Haha, I am moving the ladder bit by bit and a bit difficult the apply the same pressure to the whole roller when craning my neck. Yes, I think I will buy a multifold ladder this weekend. Luckily, plenty of paint shops in my area.

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0873sec    2.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 12:47 PM