Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Redo the house water piping

views

TSjepakazoid_82
post Dec 31 2017, 06:48 AM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
829 posts

Hi guys, i suspect i have a leak somewhere in my house. Ive went to the roof and checked the water tangki but it seems the float is doing fine and no sign of leak at the roof. I suspect i might have underground leak from main pipe towards the house.

How much is rough cost to redo whole piping for a terrace house? One plumber quoted me around rm 2.5K. Appreciate advice and any tips. He mentioned that i can bring the main pipe up to roof first and from roof have another pipe for ground floor kitchen and toilet.
TSjepakazoid_82
post Dec 31 2017, 10:54 AM

Enthusiast
829 posts

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Dec 31 2017, 07:25 AM)
How old is the house? Verify the leak occurring where first:

1. After meter but before tangki
Close the stopcock heading up to the tangki at the back is the house to verify if the leak is between the meter and the piping underneath leading to the kitchen, laundry and the stopcock. If the meter is still running, confirmed its leaking in that area.

2. After tangki
Ensure no one is using the bathrooms kitchen or laundry etc. Close all stopcock leading to each bath. I assume there are 3 as normally there's another down branch from the tangki to the first floor toilet. This need 2 persons communicating with a phone or intercom via two cordless phone like walkie talkie - one going from bathroom to bathroom and the other observing if the water meter is running when the stopcock is reopened. The meter observer will call / intercom / walkie talkie when the meter moves. No call, means that bathroom is not leaking. The one opening the stopcock will know which one is leaking.

What he's suggesting I think roughly is to lay and route the pipe through the front of the house into the roof under the eave to the tangki with a branch to downstairs back yard and kitchen perhaps using the same stopcock (flowing in reverse). The kitchen is where it terminates, hence the cold supply into the kitchen sink and laundry will be from this new pipe. The old pipe is left in disuse. Some do seal it with a nut. My guess is this pipe will be exposed? Otherwise it should cost more as there'll be hacking involved. Did he give you the job scope?

The material used on the newly laid pipe must withstand the heat outdoor otherwise it will burst somewhere. Normally what I've seen is to lay it along the common wall/fence between the house using a saddle clip to fasten it at regular intervals as it goes up into the roof. An old neighbor route it to a rocket water filter then up the roof this way.

See if there is a stopcock in the downstairs bathroom. If there is one and it's verified not leaking, this section is unnecessary.
Hello Helcyon27, many many thanks for your comprehensive suggestion! The house is possibly around 13 years old. It sits just above a slope and there are no other house behind our terrace house. I do have a tree which has grown as tall as the house and it is around 5 meters from the main pipe outside the house. Im not sure if the roots can cause some pipe to buckle and leak. Anyways i will do as you suggest first with the plumber. Much appreciated.

TSjepakazoid_82
post Jan 2 2018, 06:10 PM

Enthusiast
829 posts

Updated: met with a plumber and checked the tank inside roof. Float is ok and no leaks at the roof. Closed all the stop cocks downstairs kitchen / bathroom and upstairs bathroom. Meter still running. Seems that it is possibly an underground leak. The quote from 1st plumber is rm2K. This is to replace the redo the main pipe from outside and towards the roof. From there will bring another line from the roof at the back of the house to the kitchen downstairs. Some hacking involed near the gate and at kitchen where there is a small pipe at the dry kitchen areea for fridge. Tomorrow i will meet another plumber for another quote.
TSjepakazoid_82
post Jan 3 2018, 12:01 PM

Enthusiast
829 posts

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Jan 2 2018, 06:46 PM)
Can take close up picture of the type of piping material from meter?  This is to identify the type of plumbing material used.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSjepakazoid_82
post Jan 3 2018, 12:57 PM

Enthusiast
829 posts

By the way second plumber insist that i dont use the black pipe and use Sirim PVC instead.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.24    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 AM