Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Redo the house water piping

jepakazoid_82
post Dec 31 2017, 06:48 AM, updated 3w ago

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

Hi guys, i suspect i have a leak somewhere in my house. Ive went to the roof and checked the water tangki but it seems the float is doing fine and no sign of leak at the roof. I suspect i might have underground leak from main pipe towards the house.

How much is rough cost to redo whole piping for a terrace house? One plumber quoted me around rm 2.5K. Appreciate advice and any tips. He mentioned that i can bring the main pipe up to roof first and from roof have another pipe for ground floor kitchen and toilet.
ZaharJ08
post Dec 31 2017, 07:22 AM

Group: Junior Member

Last time we do our self with flexible piping, from the meter to the tank, RM200 max
halcyon27
post Dec 31 2017, 07:25 AM

Regular

How old is the house? Verify the leak occurring where first:

1. After meter but before tangki
Close the stopcock heading up to the tangki at the back is the house to verify if the leak is between the meter and the piping underneath leading to the kitchen, laundry and the stopcock. If the meter is still running, confirmed its leaking in that area.

2. After tangki
Ensure no one is using the bathrooms kitchen or laundry etc. Close all stopcock leading to each bath. I assume there are 3 as normally there's another down branch from the tangki to the first floor toilet. This need 2 persons communicating with a phone or intercom via two cordless phone like walkie talkie - one going from bathroom to bathroom and the other observing if the water meter is running when the stopcock is reopened. The meter observer will call / intercom / walkie talkie when the meter moves. No call, means that bathroom is not leaking. The one opening the stopcock will know which one is leaking.

What he's suggesting I think roughly is to lay and route the pipe through the front of the house into the roof under the eave to the tangki with a branch to downstairs back yard and kitchen perhaps using the same stopcock (flowing in reverse). The kitchen is where it terminates, hence the cold supply into the kitchen sink and laundry will be from this new pipe. The old pipe is left in disuse. Some do seal it with a nut. My guess is this pipe will be exposed? Otherwise it should cost more as there'll be hacking involved. Did he give you the job scope?

The material used on the newly laid pipe must withstand the heat outdoor otherwise it will burst somewhere. Normally what I've seen is to lay it along the common wall/fence between the house using a saddle clip to fasten it at regular intervals as it goes up into the roof. An old neighbor route it to a rocket water filter then up the roof this way.

See if there is a stopcock in the downstairs bathroom. If there is one and it's verified not leaking, this section is unnecessary.
ozak
post Dec 31 2017, 08:57 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Dec 31 2017, 06:48 AM)
Hi guys, i suspect i have a leak somewhere in my house. Ive went to the roof and checked the water tangki but it seems the float is doing fine and no sign of leak at the roof. I suspect i might have underground leak from main pipe towards the house.

How much is rough cost to redo whole piping for a terrace house? One plumber quoted me around rm 2.5K. Appreciate advice and any tips. He mentioned that i can bring the main pipe up to roof first and from roof have another pipe for ground floor kitchen and toilet.
You have to ask for more detail.

What kind of pipe material using. It is advise to use poly pipe.

Run on surface or underground. Which underground will require hacking.

Additional, it is best if included the backup if no main water coming. As what the plumber suggest.
jepakazoid_82
post Dec 31 2017, 10:54 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Dec 31 2017, 07:25 AM)
How old is the house? Verify the leak occurring where first:

1. After meter but before tangki
Close the stopcock heading up to the tangki at the back is the house to verify if the leak is between the meter and the piping underneath leading to the kitchen, laundry and the stopcock. If the meter is still running, confirmed its leaking in that area.

2. After tangki
Ensure no one is using the bathrooms kitchen or laundry etc. Close all stopcock leading to each bath. I assume there are 3 as normally there's another down branch from the tangki to the first floor toilet. This need 2 persons communicating with a phone or intercom via two cordless phone like walkie talkie - one going from bathroom to bathroom and the other observing if the water meter is running when the stopcock is reopened. The meter observer will call / intercom / walkie talkie when the meter moves. No call, means that bathroom is not leaking. The one opening the stopcock will know which one is leaking.

What he's suggesting I think roughly is to lay and route the pipe through the front of the house into the roof under the eave to the tangki with a branch to downstairs back yard and kitchen perhaps using the same stopcock (flowing in reverse). The kitchen is where it terminates, hence the cold supply into the kitchen sink and laundry will be from this new pipe. The old pipe is left in disuse. Some do seal it with a nut. My guess is this pipe will be exposed? Otherwise it should cost more as there'll be hacking involved. Did he give you the job scope?

The material used on the newly laid pipe must withstand the heat outdoor otherwise it will burst somewhere. Normally what I've seen is to lay it along the common wall/fence between the house using a saddle clip to fasten it at regular intervals as it goes up into the roof. An old neighbor route it to a rocket water filter then up the roof this way.

See if there is a stopcock in the downstairs bathroom. If there is one and it's verified not leaking, this section is unnecessary.
Hello Helcyon27, many many thanks for your comprehensive suggestion! The house is possibly around 13 years old. It sits just above a slope and there are no other house behind our terrace house. I do have a tree which has grown as tall as the house and it is around 5 meters from the main pipe outside the house. Im not sure if the roots can cause some pipe to buckle and leak. Anyways i will do as you suggest first with the plumber. Much appreciated.

halcyon27
post Dec 31 2017, 11:02 AM

Regular

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Dec 31 2017, 10:54 AM)
Hello Helcyon27, many many thanks for your comprehensive suggestion! The house is possibly around 13 years old. It sits just above a slope and there are no other house behind our terrace house. I do have a tree which has grown as tall as the house and it is around 5 meters from the main pipe outside the house. Im not sure if the roots can cause some pipe to buckle and leak. Anyways i will do as you suggest first with the plumber. Much appreciated.
High chances developer wouldn't be using galvanised iron pipe for the plumbing which don't last very long with rust accumulating inside lessening the flow rate.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Dec 31 2017, 11:02 AM
advocado
post Dec 31 2017, 07:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Dec 31 2017, 11:02 AM)
High chances developer wouldn't be using galvanised iron pipe for the plumbing which don't last very long with rust accumulating inside lessening the flow rate.
older house still possible they used metal pipes.
thailover
post Dec 31 2017, 10:36 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

better use Buteline pipe
ZZR-Pilot
post Jan 2 2018, 08:20 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Dec 31 2017, 07:48 AM)

I installed all new black pipes (impossible to rust) to replace all the old steel ones in my condo. RM1300 only, inclusive of new custom pipes & drainage for dishwasher & front loader washing machine.

At the time, I was renovating & having all my floor & wall tiles replaced, so the plumber had full access to the bare concrete.
jepakazoid_82
post Jan 2 2018, 06:10 PM

Enthusiast

Updated: met with a plumber and checked the tank inside roof. Float is ok and no leaks at the roof. Closed all the stop cocks downstairs kitchen / bathroom and upstairs bathroom. Meter still running. Seems that it is possibly an underground leak. The quote from 1st plumber is rm2K. This is to replace the redo the main pipe from outside and towards the roof. From there will bring another line from the roof at the back of the house to the kitchen downstairs. Some hacking involed near the gate and at kitchen where there is a small pipe at the dry kitchen areea for fridge. Tomorrow i will meet another plumber for another quote.
halcyon27
post Jan 2 2018, 06:46 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Jan 2 2018, 06:10 PM)
Updated: met with a plumber and checked the tank inside roof. Float is ok and no leaks at the roof. Closed all the stop cocks downstairs kitchen / bathroom and upstairs bathroom. Meter still running. Seems that it is possibly an underground leak. The quote from 1st plumber is rm2K. This is to replace the redo the main pipe from outside and towards the roof. From there will bring another line from the roof at the back of the house to the kitchen downstairs. Some hacking involed near the gate and at kitchen where there is a small pipe at the dry kitchen areea for fridge. Tomorrow i will meet another plumber for another quote.
Can take close up picture of the type of piping material from meter? This is to identify the type of plumbing material used.
advocado
post Jan 2 2018, 11:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ZZR-Pilot @ Jan 2 2018, 08:20 AM)
I installed all new black pipes (impossible to rust) to replace all the old steel ones in my condo. RM1300 only, inclusive of new custom pipes & drainage for dishwasher & front loader washing machine.

At the time, I was renovating & having all my floor & wall tiles replaced, so the plumber had full access to the bare concrete.
how much just labor cost to rework the floor?
advocado
post Jan 2 2018, 11:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Jan 2 2018, 06:10 PM)
btw if it's leak in the underground, you might also have to worry about pest problems esp termites if there are wood materials around the house.
jepakazoid_82
post Jan 3 2018, 12:01 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Jan 2 2018, 06:46 PM)
Can take close up picture of the type of piping material from meter?  This is to identify the type of plumbing material used.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
jepakazoid_82
post Jan 3 2018, 12:57 PM

Enthusiast

By the way second plumber insist that i dont use the black pipe and use Sirim PVC instead.
halcyon27
post Jan 3 2018, 02:41 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jepakazoid_82 @ Jan 3 2018, 12:01 PM)
The pipe in the ground looks like Galvanised iron (GI). 😔 The same like mine that burst making my monthly water bill shot up to RM150. The pipes in the ground are a larger thread size (1" or 3/4") from the meter side which is smaller either 3/4" or 0.5". Normally 3/4" is sufficient but because these is GI, the internal rust will clog up and reduce the flow rate, they may use a larger size to overcome that as time progresses. Eventually it will still clog.

Chlorine in the water supply will corrode the pipes from the inside. They progressed from this to stainless steel, pvc, ABS or hdpe, etc inside the home post tangki in newer developments at least 2 decades back. On the outside, something that can withstand UV, extreme outdoor temperature is required.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Jan 3 2018, 02:46 PM

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0787sec    6.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 09:07 PM