Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicClosed TopicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Closing a thread by the Mod, Why some times its unfair for the TS

zamorin
post Dec 28 2017, 02:04 PM, updated 2 months ago

Resident Carouser
Group: Senior Member

I refer back to my Jerusalem thread in the Real World forum. As most would know, Jerusalem is back in world news and can be a sensitive topic to certain religions and their followers. From the minute I started the tread, some of these more Fundamentalist followers among them were actively trying to shut the thread down or asking why I bother about it? or it is none of my business etc. Basically trying to censor it.

But worse of all they were engaging in lies and dishonesty and pretensions to get their points across. When I called them out on their lies with evidence, they get pissed and start calling me a liar for pointing out their lies. So i ask them for the evidence where I lied and they have none. This provocation and dishonest rethorics goes on and on until they get their wish. (We managed to hold off all their prior attempts to close it simply by holding them to their claims until the mod got involved). The thread is now shut down.

Problem is, I and many others spend a lot of effort and time to answer all the questions, get the required evidence to back up our points unlike those who's intend was to shut it down and we had some good debates, exchanges and so on and it still is a hot topic.

Also consider the corollary: If I don't agree with a topic and wants to shut it down, instead of debating it sensibly and with the required proof and evidence to prove my point, I start to engage in lies just to provoke the TS and manage to get the thread closed. That too would be equally unfair, right?

How can I get the mods to open back the thread? Or is calling out on their lies not allowed because that's not an ad hominin attack at all.

Or I see some thread with versions v1, v2, v3 etc. Am I allowed to start a thread called - Jerusalem V2? Or is it against some forum rules?

Thanks for your time.

This post has been edited by zamorin: Dec 28 2017, 03:07 PM
FusionX
post Dec 28 2017, 05:04 PM

Group Icon
Group: Admin

The thread has been severely derailed and laden with ad hominem attacks. It take two hands to clap and you should know that this is not the first time such case involves you exchanging personal attack posts with another member.

Your last clash with Exoflare had a similar effect until his thread was derailed. If you as a threadstarter engages in ad hominem flamewars yourself, there is no reason for the thread to be left open after it has been devoid of a healthy exchange of opinions.
zamorin
post Dec 28 2017, 06:23 PM

Resident Carouser

FusionX,

Sure, it takes 2 hands to clap but when I call him out for his lies, I provide evidence (their quotes and contradictions themselves) to back up my claim but he does it with no evidence to back up his claim and is fallacious , I asked him many times. That's 2 very different things. It's frustrating when I have to continuously respond to lies. Same with Exoflare.

When I give the evidence they ask for, they ignore it. It's ok if a different person is asking for the same evidence but this is the same person asking for the same evidence that was given over and over serving no purpose other than attempting to block a healthy debate.

and the whole intend from the beginning was to get the thread censured just because they didn't like the topic.

Some also have new or multiple accounts to respond, while I only have this, so there is little effect to them if one of their acc is banned/suspended etc. Just check how many of them were new and joined just to derail it.

Anyway, sorry to get provoked but I spend almost 5 hrs responding to them with all the evidence they asked for to validate my claims. Just frustrating.

EDIT: Ad homenin is some times required and reasonable in a debate if it is non-fallacious. The problem is fallacious Ad homenin:

argumentum ad hominem, is an argumentative strategy whereby an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2]

However, its original meaning was an argument "calculated to appeal to the person addressed more than to impartial reason".[3]

Fallacious ad hominem reasoning is categorized as an informal fallacy,[4][5][6] more precisely as a genetic fallacy, a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.

However, in some cases, ad hominem attacks can be non-fallacious; i.e., if the attack on the character of the person is directly tackling the argument itself. For example, if the truth of the argument relies on the truthfulness of the person making the argument—rather than known facts—then pointing out that the person has previously lied is not a fallacious argument.

My new thread, again the same person (Exoflare): https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry87505340

This post has been edited by zamorin: Dec 28 2017, 07:44 PM
slimey
post Dec 28 2017, 09:53 PM

pfffffffff.

thread should be closed. ts should be banned.
zamorin
post Dec 28 2017, 10:04 PM

Resident Carouser

QUOTE(slimey @ Dec 28 2017, 09:53 PM)
pfffffffff.

thread should be closed. ts should be banned.
This is exactly what I meant; nothing factual or helpful to contribute, only provocations.

Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0734sec    2.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th February 2018 - 10:10 AM