Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> changing gas stove to induction cooker, cabling advice needed

AlphaM
post Dec 27 2017, 09:54 PM, updated 3w ago

Group: Newbie

hi guys,
i plan to change my gas cooker to induction cooker,
but the problem is i do not have a power point below.
the kitchen top is concrete with tiles.
just worried if i drill a hole to run my cable will crack the tiles.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
maiself
post Dec 27 2017, 09:58 PM

Pro Surfer
Group: Senior Member

small tiles.. most probably will cracked..
tuo850
post Dec 27 2017, 10:08 PM

Enthusiast

how does the electric bill gonna cost?
AlphaM
post Dec 27 2017, 11:12 PM

QUOTE(maiself @ Dec 27 2017, 09:58 PM)
small tiles.. most probably will cracked..
the tiles is 2'x2'
AlphaM
post Dec 27 2017, 11:13 PM

QUOTE(tuo850 @ Dec 27 2017, 10:08 PM)
how does the electric bill gonna cost?
hardly cook thats why change, mostly steam stuff only
halcyon27
post Dec 28 2017, 09:13 AM

Regular

Unless you're heavily renovating, safer to leave it as it is and disconnect the gas. As an aside: Electrolux do have EQ98X, a hybrid cooker with 4kW gas hob with a large spill trap bowl and a 2300W induction hob. The gas will come in handy when there's no electricity.

Consider instead using a table top induction/ceramic/halogen cooker or if steaming regularly, an electric steamer like Elba EFS-F6024D or even a rice cooker with an external steam basket insert that sits atop where the cover would normally go like the Panasonic SR-Y22FGJRSK.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Dec 28 2017, 09:15 AM
Chisel555
post Dec 28 2017, 10:39 AM

U will find later, that induction cooker don't last very long and you need to repair and or replace them every couple of years. Even the expensive ones don't last. Sometimes due to human error as u cannot lift the cook ware from the heater when cooking or u forget to turn it off. Better use timer all the time
AlphaM
post Dec 28 2017, 05:34 PM

actually i am using a portable induction cooker for few years now. since is very user friendly.
that is why i decide to replace my gas cooker for good.
i just place the portable induction cooker in the middle of the stove. so taken up space and look messy
ozak
post Dec 28 2017, 05:48 PM

10k Club

If your induction is high wattage, you need to run an individual wire from main DB. That will require a lot of hacking.

If portable type which normally about 2.2kw, that is fine with existing socket on the wall.
Zot
post Dec 28 2017, 05:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(AlphaM @ Dec 27 2017, 11:12 PM)
the tiles is 2'x2'
If you want it properly concealed, tiles need to be removed along the path and put new one. The problem would be getting same tiles to patch back.

If you are looking for something like 4 inductions or 2 x inductions + 2 x ceramics in a unit, then the power from 13A point will not be enough. Most likely need to pull in new power cable dedicated for the hub from DB.

Electricity depends on how many times cooking for a day. I cook only for dinner. No one home during day time. My electricity is around RM90. My air-con only during night sleep
ozak
post Dec 28 2017, 05:51 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Dec 28 2017, 09:13 AM)
Unless you're heavily renovating, safer to leave it as it is and disconnect the gas. As an aside: Electrolux do have EQ98X, a hybrid cooker with 4kW gas hob with a large spill trap bowl and a 2300W induction hob. The gas will come in handy when there's no electricity.

Consider instead using a table top induction/ceramic/halogen cooker or if steaming regularly, an electric steamer like Elba EFS-F6024D or even a rice cooker with an external steam basket insert that sits atop where the cover would normally go  like the Panasonic SR-Y22FGJRSK.
I think like no logic to have both. You will normally end up only use either gas or induction.
halcyon27
post Dec 28 2017, 10:02 PM

Regular

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 28 2017, 05:51 PM)
I think like no logic to have both. You will normally end up only use either gas or induction.
True but that's why it's predicated on how feasible to replace. If it were me. I would have induction in the dry and just invest in a 6-7kW gas burner in the wet but that's because the primary cook is used to gas.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Dec 28 2017, 10:06 PM
advocado
post Dec 29 2017, 12:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(AlphaM @ Dec 28 2017, 05:34 PM)
actually i am using a portable induction cooker for few years now. since is very user friendly.
that is why i decide to replace my gas cooker for good.
i just place the portable induction cooker in the middle of the stove. so taken up space and look messy
should consider Ceramic hob.

few things to consider:

1.can you find a hob sized same as your existing? if not you need to get something bigger and get the kitchen cabinet guy to recut the tabletop to fit the new hob. there's a risk of damage on the tabletop and there will be lots of dust so you have to clear the cabinets and clean them afterwards.

2.most 4 slot hob require 32A switch which runs on 6mm2 wires, most 2 slot hob requires 20A switch using 4mm2 wires, most electric oven require 20A switch too and hob & oven have to run separate wires to the DB and you need to check if your current DB has extra slots for the New switches. you will also need a 32A & 20A MCB via the 30mA RCCB branch not the 100mA RCCB Branch.

3.for the wire runs if you want to conceal will have to hack the tiles & walls, at least until the hob & oven switches near the tabletop area, then you can run external conduits tru the cabinets as they won't be seen to where the oven & hob will be connected (best use a electric box mount to the cabinet internal).

and if you plan to change the oven you also need to consider refitting the cabinet.

if you want a gas cooker as backup you can get those portable gas canister cooker that many bbq restaurant uses.

IMO if you don't cook much gas is good enough. you just need to check the gas valve once a while.

btw i see a switch beside the 2 sockets, is it a 20A switch and are they using 4mm2 cables to 20A MCB? if yes it should be able to support 2 slot hob. if not have to run new cable.
advocado
post Dec 29 2017, 12:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Dec 28 2017, 10:02 PM)
True but that's why it's predicated on how feasible to replace. If it were me. I would have induction in the dry and just invest in a 6-7kW gas burner in the wet but that's because the primary cook is used to gas.
by having 2 cookers he will need 2 hoods unless the wet kitchen is open air. by having the hob in the dry kitchen means he's using recycle hood which is not cost efficient for the carbon filters in the long run also not as good as ducted hood.
advocado
post Dec 29 2017, 12:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!

btw what is your take on Hob & Hood sharing the same switch instead of pulling 1 run for hob another for hood if there's no nearby socket for the hood to loop from. a 32A switch should be more than enough to support both hob & hood.
advocado
post Dec 29 2017, 12:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 28 2017, 05:51 PM)
there are hybrid system that has both Induction/Ceramic + Gas cooker.

Belling has a standalone Induction Cooker + Gas Oven combo.

I think someone here also has 1 2 slot Induction cooker (Top Down type) & another Gas Cooker side by side. Induction for normal cooking Gas cooker for stir fry.

And for Oven Steam Oven starts from rm7k, the cheapest Oven that has "Steam Plus" function is around rm3.5k from Electrolux, it's not full steam just add abit of steam for extra juice.

for steam might as well get those 2 level steamer or a slow cooker. get the glass one if can not the plastic one.
ozak
post Dec 29 2017, 09:11 AM

10k Club

People change to induction cause of safety, cleaner and faster cook.

People change to gas cause cheaper cost to cook and and not suit for Asian way cook.

Induction can cost more to cook per meal compare to gas. Which electricity is more expensive than gas. Specially people cook a lot.

advocado
post Dec 29 2017, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 29 2017, 09:11 AM)

People change to gas cause cheaper cost to cook and and not suit for Asian way cook.

Induction can cost more to cook per meal compare to gas. Which electricity is more expensive than gas. Specially people cook a lot.
not all places allow gas stove so they have no choice.

Gas not cheaper just because electricity but also reliability and last longer and hardware is cheaper. only concern is gas leak and the gas tong problem since you don't know the condition of the tongs.

Induction got electrical hazards also.

But IMO a portable induction cooker may do well compared to a hob but you can only 1 slot. you want use another for heating you need to buy another one. but it's still cheaper to buy portable induction cooker.
halcyon27
post Dec 29 2017, 11:07 AM

Regular

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 29 2017, 09:11 AM)

Well put and said. That's why in dry, I like the idea of using induction esp for non Asian style cooking and esp what you have mentioned before cooking maggi.😄 It's cleaner for the kitchen and kinder to the utensils. We steam cook lots hence we a use separate 3 tier steam cooker. For the "wok breath" requirement, due to insistence of the chef, I had to bow to the demand of a powerful hob as we had been using a 5kW 3 ring tornado flame Rinnai before. To her, the frying on induction was meh so I bought a table top 7kW one for frying. No regrets there and like avocado says, out in the open so it's in the balcony.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Dec 29 2017, 11:08 AM
ozak
post Dec 29 2017, 01:18 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(advocado @ Dec 29 2017, 11:00 AM)
not all places allow gas stove so they have no choice.

Gas not cheaper just because electricity but also reliability and last longer and hardware is cheaper. only concern is gas leak and the gas tong problem since you don't know the condition of the tongs.

Induction got electrical hazards also.

But IMO a portable induction cooker may do well compared to a hob but you can only 1 slot. you want use another for heating you need to buy another one. but it's still cheaper to buy portable induction cooker.
I don't understand what place in your home that not allow gas stove.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0835sec    5.95    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 10:52 PM