Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Travel To Japan V11, Nippon here we come!

r2t2
post Oct 15 2018, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(lucaswjk @ Oct 12 2018, 06:23 PM)
Tokyo skytree (from afar) + Asakusa

at Odaiba donno the new gundam there aldy or not.
RX-0 Unicorn Gundam at Diver City mall? ... already up since Sept. 2017.
But at the foot of the 19meter transformable statue, is a board I thought is showing how many days it has been up ... last month, I saw 199 days only leh? Dunno lar ...

Short transformation shows (from unicorn mode to destroyer mode), every 2 hours in between 11am to 5pm. And at night, got 30mins anime shows + light shows (didn't watch those).

QUOTE(trespasser @ Oct 12 2018, 03:56 PM)
Dear all;

The following is the planned itinerary to Kyoto

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Public transport route is still in the midst of finalisation but will use a mixture of Osaka Amazing Pass, Eco Pass, Bus Pass, Kintetsu Rail Pass and Kyoto Bus/Subway Pass.

Would really appreciate if all can give comments for the plan above. Thanks
Really admire these kind of detailed itineraries ... almost all the routes and fares calculated, and compared to passes price (whether worth buying or not for that day or whole trip).
But usually need a volunteer leader/tour guide to enforce the plans laugh.gif , and sometimes, depending on the companions, some would question why need to walk further just to save fare (there's a station right in front wor sweat.gif ) ... solo or 2 only easier; three or more, have to explain in advance the itineraries. tongue.gif

QUOTE(vondeland @ Oct 12 2018, 12:24 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Do you think this is doable? Looking at areas that I plan to cover, am I using the correct passes? I'm a bit confused with Tokyo Subway pass & Tokyo Metro pass, are they actually the same thing so the name is used interchangeably? I'm travelling alone and still contemplating whether I should do 3-day at Fuji-Hakone or just Hakone.
Nicely formatted itinerary ... I prefer this type ... no need to definitely go to certain place on certain day (unless it's a fixed date event) ... areas spread over few days, to give allowance for bad weather or bad moods rolleyes.gif ... priority places first, KIV places if still got time.

That said, like what another mentioned, it's hard to cover those area in the first real 2 days ... let's say sprint + marathon:- Asakusa 2hrs (trying out foods like melon bun also, not just taking photos), Tokyo Skytree 2hrs (waiting + looking around time + shops; nvr went before, simply estimate), Ueno 4hrs (quite huge area... park, zoo if interested, museums...luckily not sakura season, else will be taking lots of photos), Akihabara 3hrs (depending on interest, if you ask me and my frens, 2 or 3 days also not enuf), Ginza 2hrs (again depending on whether windows shopping only or really shopping), Odaiba 5hrs (again, huuuge area ... so many places of interests here), Tsukiji outer market 2hrs (queuing to eat, windows shopping), and Toyosu 2hrs (dunno how long is the new tour, if still got guided tour for the tuna auction, last time in Tsukiji was only 15mins, waiting time I guess no need to wait like 2 or 3hrs previously) ...

Minimum total time already 22hrs ... maybe 11hrs per day, and that's rushing around, most probably can't really enjoy lor. (Unless your goal is just to tick off places been to, or go there for a short while, and maybe see which area you'll go again for longer period in the future).
wangpr
post Oct 15 2018, 10:53 AM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Oct 15 2018, 10:45 AM)
All shinkansen pass through Shinagawa. You can take Hikari instead of Nozomi. Assuming you are taking shinkansen back to Tokyo, then Japan Rail pass will do. Else it is not worth it.
Thanks, yup. Coz ANA only direct flight to Haneda..... So will go and forth Tokyo - Osaka....... In planning trip....

lyc1982
post Oct 15 2018, 11:25 AM

ExpectNoMercy

QUOTE(RegentCid @ Oct 12 2018, 07:51 PM)
Last train leaving Kansai Airport at 2355 towards Namba
Last Limosine bus are 0300 towards Namba
Basically you wont out of transport.
just wanna check...this last train refers to Nankai Train ?
RegentCid
post Oct 15 2018, 11:34 AM

グローバル防衛構想

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Oct 15 2018, 10:25 AM)
just wanna check...this last train refers to Nankai Train ?
Yes.
Because when we talk about train in Tokyo, Osaka , Kyoto (Top 3 mega cities in Japan) everyone (included Japanese) automatic refer to Private train.
Bigger the cities, Govt (JR) become less dominance.

Keisei are Tokyo
Kintetsu are Nagoya
Nankai are Osaka
Keihan are Kyoto & Kobe

parra
post Oct 15 2018, 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for your kind help!
I feel relieved now rclxm9.gif
trespasser
post Oct 15 2018, 07:42 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Oct 15 2018, 10:50 AM)
Really admire these kind of detailed itineraries ... almost all the routes and fares calculated, and compared to passes price (whether worth buying or not for that day or whole trip). 
But usually need a volunteer leader/tour guide to enforce the plans laugh.gif , and sometimes, depending on the companions, some would question why need to walk further just to save fare (there's a station right in front wor  sweat.gif ) ... solo or 2 only easier; three or more, have to explain in advance the itineraries.  tongue.gif 
The itinerary is drafted such that it is swappable between days and easier for me to do BQ when I want to freeze the schedule flow. wink.gif

I remember iinm moderator sweetpez mentioned before part of the fun is to come up with the itinerary and keep refining it. If there's additional ppl joining the trip, convenience of moving around will be priority with less hectic schedule.

Puteih
post Oct 15 2018, 10:10 PM

Dah ludah jilat balik

Hello,
May I know if wanna buy night bus ticket from KIX to Osaka, do I need to buy before I go there or buy at the airport?
RegentCid
post Oct 15 2018, 10:12 PM

グローバル防衛構想

QUOTE(Puteih @ Oct 15 2018, 09:10 PM)
Hello,
May I know if wanna buy night bus ticket from KIX to Osaka, do I need to buy before I go there or buy at the airport?
Buy at ticket machine before boarding the bus. 1st come 1st serve basis. No reservation.

This post has been edited by RegentCid: Oct 15 2018, 10:45 PM
Puteih
post Oct 15 2018, 10:23 PM

Dah ludah jilat balik

QUOTE(RegentCid @ Oct 15 2018, 10:12 PM)
Buy at ticket machine before boarding the bus. 1st come 1st serve basic. No reservation.
Noted with thanks
vondeland
post Yesterday, 12:55 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Aeon_Clock @ Oct 15 2018, 12:40 AM)
I think you're underestimating Tokyo a bit with this schedule - the first two days part. There's no way you can cover so many places in one day. Unless you're going for a 12 hour marathon everyday...
QUOTE(r2t2 @ Oct 15 2018, 10:50 AM)
Nicely formatted itinerary ... I prefer this type ... no need to definitely go to certain place on certain day (unless it's a fixed date event) ... areas spread over few days, to give allowance for bad weather or bad moods  rolleyes.gif ... priority places first, KIV places if still got time.

That said, like what another mentioned, it's hard to cover those area in the first real 2 days ... let's say sprint + marathon:- Asakusa 2hrs (trying out foods like melon bun also, not just taking photos), Tokyo Skytree 2hrs (waiting + looking around time + shops; nvr went before, simply estimate), Ueno 4hrs (quite huge area... park, zoo if interested, museums...luckily not sakura season, else will be taking lots of photos), Akihabara 3hrs (depending on interest, if you ask me and my frens, 2 or 3 days also not enuf), Ginza 2hrs (again depending on whether windows shopping only or really shopping), Odaiba 5hrs (again, huuuge area ... so many places of interests here), Tsukiji outer market 2hrs (queuing to eat, windows shopping), and Toyosu 2hrs (dunno how long is the new tour, if still got guided tour for the tuna auction, last time in Tsukiji was only 15mins, waiting time I guess no need to wait like 2 or 3hrs previously) ...

Minimum total time already 22hrs ... maybe 11hrs per day, and that's rushing around, most probably can't really enjoy lor.  (Unless your goal is just to tick off places been to, or go there for a short while, and maybe see which area you'll go again for longer period in the future).
Hehe thanks for your inputs but actually I got revised my itinerary a bit before your replies, I'm not planning to cover all the areas mentioned, just list them out at least I have an idea of which places people usually visit in Tokyo and in fact I haven't really find out what's worth to check out at each of these places, gonna play by ear at that time and I prolly not getting those Tokyo Metro passes too.

Attached Image

QUOTE(yoonyin @ Oct 1 2018, 12:39 PM)
Well, if you want hassle free. Buy a new Digi Prepaid online, Rm8, reload the amount of credit base on how long you visit japan. Rm25 for 3 Days Roaming come with 2GB + 30mins voice call. 9 days visit in Japan just cost you Rm75.
I found out that must always keep a minimum of RM10 credit balance on top of amount needed to buy roaming passes in order for the roaming to work. So for 9 days roaming I must at least have RM85 credit.

This post has been edited by vondeland: Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Puteih
post Today, 02:14 AM

Dah ludah jilat balik

Hello,
Below is my messy incomplete itinerary. Can anyone comment if any of the items can be improved. Also I got a few questions:
1. I've read that Sagano Romantic train tickets can only be purchased in Kyoto on the day itself. True, or can I buy a day earlier? (scared ticket finish)
2. Is it better to rent kimono at west Kyoto (during bamboo groove trip) or east Kyoto (maybe around Gion)? (to get the "feel" more)
3. I'm looking at an Yuzanso onsen, and the only online booking left is at http://japantraveleronline.com. Is this site legit? Or is there any recommendation for other place?

Thank you smile.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
yoonyin
post Today, 09:38 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(vondeland @ Oct 16 2018, 07:12 PM)
I found out that must always keep a minimum of RM10 credit balance on top of amount needed to buy roaming passes in order for the roaming to work. So for 9 days roaming I must at least have RM85 credit.
Nope, No minimum credit balance needed. I topped Rm50 for 3 days + 3 days usage.
sweet_pez
post Today, 09:42 AM

日本に行こう!
Group Icon
Jobs & Careers
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(trespasser @ Oct 15 2018, 07:42 PM)
The itinerary is drafted such that it is swappable between days and easier for me to do BQ when I want to freeze the schedule flow.  wink.gif

I remember iinm moderator sweetpez mentioned before part of the fun is to come up with the itinerary and keep refining it. If there's additional ppl joining the trip, convenience of moving around will be priority with less hectic schedule.
Glad to hear that! And you itinerary is nicely planned/ done with all the timing. I do it in a similar method, however I agree that it's too packed.

I'll suggest that:

- Highlight the priority (must visit/ must do)
- The rest will be backup
- Play by ear on the day; visit the Must-Do places and if there's time then only check out the back ups

In 1 day, if you're able to cover 4 places, that's already a good use of time. You're right about additional people... the bigger the group, the less time you have. What I do with big groups - split them around. Depending on the size, it can be Gp1 and Gp2, or max, G3. Select someone to represent/ lead each group and the group "leaders" will be the one to bring everyone back to the next meeting point (assuming going different places). If all going back to the same, still delegate the same responsibility. Meaning lets say Friend A is in charge of 4 people, and you're in charge of another 4. Thus it's A's responsibility to make sure the other 4 is back with him/her to the meeting spot on time.

In groups of bigger size, if your plan is move to the next spot at 4.30pm, tell them to meet at 4pm.

All the best in fine tuning!
Afterburner1.0
post Today, 02:45 PM

Getting Started

First time travel to JPN as well, can i activate my JR pass in Kansai Airport and is there any JR trains available for me to ride into Namba?
The last nankai train leaving Kansai Airport at 2355 is it a JR train?
RegentCid
post Today, 03:17 PM

グローバル防衛構想

QUOTE(Afterburner1.0 @ Oct 17 2018, 01:45 PM)
First time travel to JPN as well, can i activate my JR pass in Kansai Airport  and is there any JR trains available for me to ride into Namba?
The last nankai train leaving Kansai Airport at 2355 is it a JR train?
Name already Nankai, How can it be JR? biggrin.gif
JR don't have direct train from Kansai Airport to Namba. JR Train will stop at Shinmamiya Station, then you have to take another JR line called JR Yamatoji Line to JR Namba Station.

From Kansai Airport, fastest JR train are JR ''Haruka'' Limited Express only service until 2200
2200 - 2343 fastest JR train are Rapid Service Train [Similar to our KTM commuter]

daijoubu
post Today, 03:30 PM

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.

Those that have the chance to visit Fukushima can consider to go for the Fukushima Exclusion Zone tour.

You'll be brought around the village that tsunami struck, as well as the area where is cordoned off due to elevated radiation. The whole 5 hour tour will expose you to less radiation that an xray test (you will be provided with a personal dosimeter).

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0891sec    5.76    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th October 2018 - 04:10 PM