Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LED lightings, Flickering

EneriW
post Dec 27 2017, 08:43 AM, updated 3w ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi,

I recently changed all my ceiling lights from normal circular bulb to LED round ceiling lights when I was renovating my house.

I have used those normal bulb lights for 15 years with no issues (I didn't have to change the bulb even once). However, with the LED lights, sometimes it flickers. Is this normal? My contractor also changed my normal plastic DB box (to add in few more switches). Could this cause the problem too?

Thanks!
blueD
post Jan 3 2018, 04:26 AM

are you using those switches with light indicator?
heard people said this type of switches sometimes will cause the LED light blinking.
weikee
post Jan 3 2018, 08:35 AM

10k Club
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(EneriW @ Dec 27 2017, 08:43 AM)
Hi,

I recently changed all my ceiling lights from normal circular bulb to LED round ceiling lights when I was renovating my house.

I have used those normal bulb lights for 15 years with no issues (I didn't have to change the bulb even once). However, with the LED lights, sometimes it flickers. Is this normal? My contractor also changed my normal plastic DB box (to add in few more switches). Could this cause the problem too?

Thanks!
The brighter the led, the more unreliable it is. You have to use lower wattage led, usually is driver issue, than later the led will become dimmer due to heat.

Doubts related to db box, you can put back one cfl bulb, it will not have problem.

This post has been edited by weikee: Jan 3 2018, 08:36 AM
ozak
post Jan 3 2018, 09:55 AM

10k Club

The LED flickers or sometime remain ON in dim even OFF already is cause by a small current leak into the wire. Some of the flickering is cause by the dimmer switch if you install one.

As you know LED using very small consumption. A small current in mA will ON the LED. Flickering is cause by the capacitor charge up enough from the small current leak and light up the led in short time. Than charge again after discharge. How frequent it flickering is depend on how fast it charge and discharge. That capacitor is an AC-DC converter.

Some of the thing that cause it

1) A long wire to the LED will pick up some magnetic field if the switch it on the Neutral side while the Live is always remain in the LED.
2) The neutral line have power (current bleeding) if there is some device running near it. Your electrical appliances.
3) Earth wire also will cause it.

Zoopdiidoo
post Jan 3 2018, 10:23 AM

Getting Started

I have this for only one LED light. I just changed the whole led downlight cos still under warranty. But after changing it, the same one flickers again. Must be wiring problem d.
EneriW
post Jan 3 2018, 04:42 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 3 2018, 09:55 AM)
The LED flickers or sometime remain ON in dim even OFF already is cause by a small current leak into the wire. Some of the flickering is cause by the dimmer switch if you install one.

As you know LED using very small consumption. A small current in mA will ON the LED. Flickering is cause by the capacitor charge up enough from the small current leak and light up the led in short time. Than charge again after discharge. How frequent it flickering is depend on how fast it charge and discharge. That capacitor is an AC-DC converter.

Some of the thing that cause it

1) A long wire to the LED will pick up some magnetic field if the switch it on the Neutral side while the Live is always remain in the LED.
2) The neutral line have power (current bleeding) if there is some device running near it. Your electrical appliances.
3) Earth wire also will cause it.
Mine is the normal LED round ceiling lights with no dimmer. I heard sometimes the dimmer is the cause, but since I don't have dimmer, not sure what is causing it.. hmmm...
frostier
post Jan 3 2018, 04:48 PM

Getting Started

Flickers
1. Check your wiring. Could be loose or not properly wired. (Lighting point or switches)
2. Product/driver could be faulty. Please check the details - THD, Frequency

Zot
post Jan 3 2018, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(EneriW @ Dec 27 2017, 08:43 AM)
Hi,

Thanks!
1) Are you using normal switch on the wall?
2) You have the picture of the LED bulb?

No, DB will not cause the problem
Kamm Matt
post Jan 3 2018, 05:07 PM

Getting Started

might be the wiring neutral chargeback power..
ozak
post Jan 3 2018, 05:48 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(EneriW @ Jan 3 2018, 04:42 PM)
Mine is the normal LED round ceiling lights with no dimmer. I heard sometimes the dimmer is the cause, but since I don't have dimmer, not sure what is causing it.. hmmm...
Already explain.
weikee
post Jan 3 2018, 07:26 PM

10k Club

If can replace driver, try more expensive driver. Good drover contain noise filter.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0418sec    5.63    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 10:04 AM